whats your job? is it outdoor work? does it fit around bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i'm a manager in the transport ind,.....worked up form a hands on engineer,..

decent pay and conditions and access to bits and pieces of "stuff"

sadly no acces to bushy stuff,...(unless you count feeding the ducks at the park at lunch)

Cheers

Stu

RJames

Forager
Jun 25, 2008
Durham, UK
I am a logistics supervisor with a degree in countryside management, conservation and green woodworking, just couldn't find a job in the right field so I settled on making money until I could

R

roy1

I run a small company in cumbria delivering bushcraft courses and work as an outdoor instructor for a mobile care company who works with youths at risk. I started working in the outdoor industry 10 years ago now and love being in the outdoors especially woodland environment. I do feel lucky to be able to work in the outdoors most of the time and make a living from it but as said by some one else there is always the paper work.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Professional gardening leave,ahhhmmm, Firerealman for 32 years retired june 2010. Thinking of getting a wee job now the wifes doing ma heid in, na bu993r it I,ll just get out her way more and a join the retired layabout club.

phil

phil

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
I'm an Architect.......would definitely change career, if it were possible.
Alas ... responsibilities and all that jazz, and it seems a little too late in the day for such a career U turn

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I'm a Psychiatric Nurse. Currently based on an 'open ward' in North Wales dealing with working age adults. Previously in Elderly Mental Illness.Dementia care. I have an interview in the morning for a post at a Medium Secure mental health unit. Not what I want but It's a full time permanent position whereas my current position is 30 hours a week and is up at the end of march. I have a 19 moth old daughter who loves being outside in all weather so I'm hopeful for the future as don't manage to get out as much as I'd like nowadays.

country boy

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2005
cornwall/devon border
I have a Joinery business so all week in the workshop weekends well two 16 yr old boys football rugby run here run there SWMBO giving orders but when i do get the chance im gone stealth mission out the door before i get cornerd:theyareon

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm a university lecturer, which involves no outdoor work whatsoever. Mind you, when we 'do' Romanticism it does allow us to get all wistful and idealistic about the countryside. Being a lecturer does mean I get a reasonable amount of 'research' (ahem) time. And I find being out in woods or down by the coast a good conduit for that... Also get good holidays.
Before that I used to be a journalist (for The Guardian). That gave me a far bit of freetime - sorry, I mean 'investigative' time.

ij rowley

Nov 21, 2010
manchester
Hi
Im a Police Officer , many would say that we dont get out much especially in this weather , I spent years in the Armed Forces prior to this and it was a natural transgression when i left to join the boys in blue . Its not a happy career , Id much rather be in the wilds , I dream of living simply with only myself to cater for but I guess Family life took over , I have just begun to get interested in bushcraft and I am looking to get out and about more now . Thanks ian

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
I, my dad and sis have a Farm with 50 cows, 5 goats, 2 pigs, 8 rabbits, 50 chicken, 5 cats and 1 dog.

We dont live from the farm. The amount of money that they eat is also coming back from them.

To bring money in our pockets we have a recreation farm. That means a Camping on the farm, Birthday party, Family partys etc etc.
Our main people our kids till the age of 12 and we try to tech them how a farm and animals and nature works.
Lots of kids dont know where there meal comes from. It doesnt pay much. But to give people a good day brings lots of joy into live.

I love to be outside and work in all the seasons it brings me to live. We dont have any forest on our grounds but I try to get out 1 once a month with a small bushcraft club.
All the gears comes in handy for the farm work so thats also a plus.

Check out our website. www.desteenuil.nl (its in dutch but you can use google translate to translate it)

Last edited:

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
I quit my job in IT when I was 20 (realised it was a poor choice!) after just 12 months working.
Lived out of a rucksack for a year and got work with an Outdoor Charity as a trainee outdoor skills instructor. Fro m there got work in various centres gaining experience until I ended up as a level 4 canoe coach, Mountain Leader and all round outdoor skills instructor. For a number of years I lead overseas expeds for teenagers and visitted lots of places I would never afford to travel to alone.
I took some time out from outdoor work due to injuries - but turned it to getting a Btec in Fashion Design... and then turned that into work for Craghoppers and Snowdon Clothing designing outdoor gear. Read gear reviews in SWAT thought they were poor and offered to write some myself...and was accepted!
Wrote for them for years (and other mags as well) and got into writing up walks and gear reviews for mags such as Walking Wales, TGO, Country Walking, Trail etc, produced books on walking and cycling in West Wales and making DIY clothing and kit (such as my "Basic Guide to making your own Budget Bushcrafting Equipment" for sale on this site only), was a Scout Leader for 15 years and made good contacts...
As I was having such a great life I thought to make others lives a bit better and ended up doing the releif support work for peanuts.
There you have it
I do not work - I get paid to have fun, I try not to make rich men richer but peoples lives richer!
I can afford to do this as my wife paid for our house cash onthe nail after saving hard for years - no mortgage or rent to fret about - and we have no kids - so BOTH major money drains are sorted!
In my spare time I am heavily involved with our local Am Dram group - see me as Baron Tightfist iin our Panto this year - my local church...I am out 5 nights a week, and I support several charities with donations of goods and by buying most of the stuff I do buy in their shops!
I owe no money anywhere, all that I do earn is mine to spend as I will (barring council tax) and I earn so little that I have not paid income tax in 30+ years...
But I love my life! :)

that sounds brilliant, great thinking and great life.

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
Some Great posts thanks people, im glad i posted and got so many responses, good to hear that anyone without an outdoor job still gets out there when ever they can aswell.
Ive decided im going to try and get an apprentice job as a joiner for definite now and get as much experience possible.. now to try and find a local joiner who would be willing to give experience haha

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
In in pharmaceutical process making class a drugs,been doing that for 5 years after 20 in fabrication/welding.
No chance of anything bushy at work but 14 shifts a month gives me plenty of outside time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE