Quite possibly the perfect job?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackdaw

My life hasn't always been this idyllic, but what it has given me is a good perspective on when it's going well.

As some of you may know, I am an ecological consultant living in East Yorkshire and currently it is my busy time. What you may not know is that I am still recovering from a broken leg (tibial plateau fracture) that happened whilst on exercise with the Army Reserve. As I run my own business I was pretty convinced that I was going to be out of business this year and would likely lose my clients for at least a year if not more. Financially I would be okay and would be looked after by the Army Reserve but I didn't really want to have to rebuild an already relatively new company from scratch again.

So what was the plan? I decided that I was going to work anyway but use my own Reservists to do the work for me. Although most of the work I do requires a licence from the Statutory Nature Conservation Organisation (Natural England, Scottish Natural Heritage etc.) I can accredit others to work on my behalf under my own licence so long as they have had the appropriate training. Most of my soldiers are either in temporary employment or are unemployed outside of the Army Reserve. This is usually a choice they make so that they can take advantage of all the training opportunities, and previously operational tours, that are on offer. For example, last training year my guys have been to Kenya and Cyprus as well as some interesting exchange visits to the USA and Canada.

So with a selection of willing volunteers I started training them to survey for great crested newts (GCN) and bats; the staple of my consultancy work. Armed with bottle traps and canes, instead of the usual firepower we carry, they learnt quickly and have become more than proficient in surveying for their chosen quarry. What I hadn't quite realised is how good they would actually prove to be; good at map reading, used to working late into the night with good levels of concentration, robust enough to work their way through brush and hedgerows, these guys seemed made for the job.

So why am I posting in the Out and About section; and why the title? Well, not every site we work on allows us to wild camp (with permission, of course) but we have had the luck to work on a couple of shooting estates and once they realised we weren't idiots likely to burn the place down, they both allowed us to camp out and hang up our hammocks with impunity.

Last week I took charge of a new L200 after my last one broke yet again (can't be doing with a broken vehicle when I'm this busy) and we set out to a site in Staffordshire. The site involved 14 ponds that required survey and would take up most of the day, that night and most of the next morning to complete and to save time we decided to pitch camp early. We pitched in a mature deciduous oak/ash wood and then set off to set out traps.

DSCF2048.jpg

A bottle trap is simply a 2ltr drinks bottle with the top cut off and inverted into the body to form the trap. These are held in place using canes as shown below:

DSC03281.jpg

Once in place (in this case over 400) we retired back to camp for dinner and waited until it got dark enough to search for the newts by torchlight. Being tight Yorkshiremen we decided on using our reserves of buckshee rations and sat around to the musings of old soldiers desperate not to lose their warrior spirit, romanticising about previous operations and friends lost in both battle or from the usual peacetime dangers that now frequent our more pedestrian lives.

Once satiated and it was dark enough we set off armed with either Clulite Clubman CB2 (1 million candle power torches) or my new LED Lenser M17R (quickly becoming a favourite). We use the torches to count the number of newts in the pond and it still amazes me now how my soldiers become fixated with the wildlife you can see in a pond at night.

Once all 14 ponds were surveyed by torch we retired to bed around 0015hrs. My particular abode was one UK Hammocks Woodsman X DL bought off this very forum accompanied with a Snugpak underquilt and Softie 3 sleeping bag. I'm still getting used to hanging but these recent trips have given me plenty of time to perfect my hang (which it still isn't) but all three items are first rate. Prior to 2013 I had always spent my time on the ground, and depending on the site and how much time we have, will revert back there. But I am quickly becoming a card-holding "Hammocker" just for sheer comfort if not anything else.

Up at 0530hrs I jumped into the huge boot of the L200 and started a brew going with my Alpkit Brewkit then on with the rounds of waking the chaps up. Another great thing with soldiers is they get up straight away; none of the nonsense of having to go back out to rouse them again. Suitably refreshed we got back on with collecting in the bottle traps and counting the numbers of newts we'd managed to capture.

DSCF2041.jpg

Why count newts then? Well, like most wildlife in this country that has specific protection it is either because their numbers are falling or they are persecuted by man. In the case of newts it is because on a European level their numbers are getting smaller. By providing a population estimate this can inform the amount of mitigation that is required as part of the development to limit the impact on the species in question. In this case the area proposed for development would need to be trapped out using drift fences and pitfall trapping for a specified number of days which relates directly to the number of newts found.

Our working day usually finishes around 0900hrs and is followed by a long drive back to East Yorkshire where I have to clean the traps ready for their next deployment to avoid cross contamination and the spread of disease. It's a hard job but a highly rewarding one which can often feel not much like work at all.

This post it not about trying to make people jealous or envious of my job but simply to share that sometimes, some days, you get a win.

Last edited:

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
What the heck, well done you! goodjob

Whereas I spend my days sitting in an office in front of a PC or in meetings - I shall now feign work or interest respectively and instead dream of what I could be doing !

Mind you those bloody newts have stopped a few building projects I had personal interests in e.g. local off road track

I thought in the UK the population level was healthy and that it was just in Europe it was in danger? Probably the bloody French eating them!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
An interesting read :D Thank you for that :cool:

I have newts in the garden ponds and right now they're heaving with life.
The burn that runs along side the garden used to have GCN's but we haven't seen any in a few years :sigh:

Visiting the ponds at night with a wee torch is fascinating. My neighbours comes through the gate in the shared fence and joins me newt-gazing sometimes :D

Best of luck healing well and quickly.

M

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Counting newts and bats? What a job indeed! My two favourite pastimes as a kid, sadly not many of either around here now. Nothing rare pipistrelles and smooth newts but hey I loved both. No idea what's happened to the bat populations (do still see a few) but the nearby wasteland full of ponds and wildlife became polluted by a small business park that sprung up nearby where there were engineering works etc - and no doubt a whole bunch of chemicals.

Some of the land came up for sale recently and I toyed with the idea of buying it to use as a little wild camping retreat. I popped down to take a closer look and it looked like something out of a nuclear wasteland - a grey clay bog metal containers everywhere, piles of building materials and refuse. No young willow and other mixed trees, gorse and scrub, wild grasses, wild flowers and certainly no fauna. I very nearly cried. Should have twigged as it was only £6k for 3.something acres.

I must live fairly close to you and I would love to come out and help sometime, especially if I could drag along my nephew who I try to tear away from his xbox whenever I can! Actually if you ever want an assistant count me in - have my own hammocks and a LED Lenser XR7 I am far from glamorous though...hate early mornings...and I am always drunk :p

Jackdaw

The GCN population size is healthy by European standards but the numbers are still declining due to development. Unless you have a particularly large population of GCN that is of national significance a project where they are present will normally be allowed so long as the required mitigation is put in place. What usually happens to scupper a project is when the ecology hasn't been factored in as a possible cost. I've worked on quite large scale projects with multi-national companies where they neglected to factor in the time-scales required for survey and mitigation and the costs resulting in significant delays (and cost). Often the lack of suitable alternative habitat provision can also be a defining factor.

In general, the presence of a protected species will not stop a development going ahead. It just means that it's going to cost the developer money that they hadn't factored in.

Jackdaw

Silkhi - newt work is relatively easy to start with as you will always be accompanied by a more experienced worker. Bat work is another matter. It takes some time before field assistants can actually generate reliable data during a survey and therefore you find yourself helping out a lot to start with whilst you learn the ropes. I'm east of Hull in the Holderness flatlands, how about you?

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
just outside Scarborough, lack a car at the moment but not for much longer - seemed like a good plan but I am getting bored of it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE