What's your favourite season for bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
My Bushcraft season is 1st Jan to 31st Dec... I love it all .. though in summer I can overheat which means more sitting around with cold drinks....

That was my problem I used to have a few weekends away but it was never as relaxing as a nice winter camp. Too many bugs although getting caught in a pop-up summer storm was nice, under the tarp with the rain pounding down made up for sweaiing my nuts off.

Winter for me hands down. Cold and deep snow. Best time in the woods for sure.

Now you're talking. a man after my own heart.:)

@ mlc35. Nice photos, I'm envious of you guys there.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I love that run from late summer through to autumn: so much is changing, there is so much to forage and enjoy and the outdoors seems to be settling down for the winter. If I have to pick a favourite season though, it is winter. I really enjoy the truly elemental nature of being out in it, I love the sparse beauty of it and, to me, there's nothing so satisfying as living outdoors in the cold and still remaining warm. Everything you do from organising your camp to a cup of tea seems to have a sort of increased pleasure to it. That said, every season has its pleasures; for me, they are heightened in winter.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
For me its Autumn. Not too hot or cold and still a bit of light left. I do love all the seasons though, as I work outdoors all year round its really nice to observe the changes in the seasons.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You write very well, Julia; to those who constantly say " Pictures, or it didn't happen", I say read this. Plenty of pictures there! :)

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I was really looking forward to a summer of bushcraft but finding the going real hard. Getting chewed up by mozzies, stung by everything else. Exhausted and fatigued quickly in the heat. I am finding it much harder than any season.

As long as I am fit and able to get out, I am grateful to see any season!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Winter, by far. I thrive in the cold

Summer stinks. Everything smells of decay, local paths are overgrown with triffid-brambles. Insects destroy my work for months on end. Best thing about summer is when it finishes and the first sweet smelling frosts of the autumn arrive.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Autumn is my favourite, with Spring a close second. I like the glut of fruits, vegetables, nuts and fungi, the cooler days, the dewy mornings, the slowing down of nature as it comes to a close for Winter. December is a little too dark and bleak for my liking but I love the silence, stillness and uniformity after heavy snowfall and noticibly lengthening days in the new year. Spring is a comfortable temperature again. Beautiful crisp mornings but warm days too. A time of planning, planting, sowing and sprouting. I do like the long evenings in Summer and we're lucky enough to have very civilised temperatures despite what everyone's whining would suggest! It's a hectic time though so I always look forward to Autumn.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Winter, by far. I thrive in the cold

Summer stinks. Everything smells of decay, local paths are overgrown with triffid-brambles. Insects destroy my work for months on end. Best thing about summer is when it finishes and the first sweet smelling frosts of the autumn arrive.

Oh that brings back memories. The chill autumn air with the smell of wood smoke drifting in from the hop fields.

Am i the only one thinking mating season? :cool:

Err, yup.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE