What's your favourite piece of military kit and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
SA Trangia which I've got, and the old square petrol burner (No 4 I think it was) which I don't have but would love to get hold of if I could ever find one.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Dutch army Lowe alpine sting, its one of the best packs ive ever owned and most comfortable.
German moleskin trousers circa 1989 manufactured when the german military kit was build to last!
British army 58 pattern poncho- it takes hardcore abuse and asks for more!

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
SA Trangia which I've got, and the old square petrol burner (No 4 I think it was) which I don't have but would love to get hold of if I could ever find one.

Number 2 I think you mean Sniper (no connection etc)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MILITARY-FIEL...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2eb344b324

The stove collectors seem to either love them or hate them, I don't mind them.

Or did you mean the little petrol burners that fitted these small cases
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Military-army...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item53e5154a5d

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
My most used items are...
Crusader cup and cooker w/ US 1 qt. canteen
US issue woodland poncho(as a hootch)
US issue poncho liner (for snivel gear, blankie)
USMC issue plastic first aid kit box with my version of first aid supplies

Gordy

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Like pretty much everyone else here I love my Crusader set ( I know the bottle is army issue, but how much of the rest of the kit is military? the plastic lids and metal cup holders are civvy made to fit I am sure but does EVERYONE in the army get a metal Crusader mug with a cook unit?)

Fondest surplus memories of my teenage years are of a Spanish army combat jacket, I am sure we will never see it's like again

sigh

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Like pretty much everyone else here I love my Crusader set ( I know the bottle is army issue, but how much of the rest of the kit is military? the plastic lids and metal cup holders are civvy made to fit I am sure but does EVERYONE in the army get a metal Crusader mug with a cook unit?)

Fondest surplus memories of my teenage years are of a Spanish army combat jacket, I am sure we will never see it's like again

sigh

Well the mind is half the battle, if you approach it positivly and confidently, those days are more likely to occur again :)

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
German para boots - worn them all my life, and just got my first ever brand new pair (at the tender age of 42). Comfy from the get go.
Best boots ever IMO.

SAK Soldier (alox) - use mine every day and Love it. Every tool is useful - very well planned, and bombproof.

+1 for the German Parka (warm, practical, cheap) moleskins (comfy, practical, used to be cheap), and Swedish Trangia (well designed) - top notch gear.

Swiss Volcano cooker (light, versatile, cheap)

58 Pattern Bottle (Ray mears has got one)

Magentus

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
German army ally waterbottle, been in my use for over 20 years, dented and tatty but still great. SAS smock, best design of windproof ever!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Favourite military kit?

* The old combat boots high.
* SLR (L1A1) - but not the magazine's ability to "jack in the box" from 58 ammo pouches when changing mags on the run.
* The bombproof braces for the heavyweight lined DPM trousers.
* Lightweights.
* Tinned Compo - especially the Goulash.
* The large pack - for comedy value alone.

These days it's the Swedish Army Trangia set up.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest

I believe just the bottle and the cup (plain stainless steel- not the black version) are issued. I think they trialled the cooking unit, but it didn't do too well.

There is another bottle on issue as well which looks almost the same, but has a different screw thread on top- designed to accept a special lid which contains a filter. Not widely seen.

Incidently- fancy a competition to see who has the oldest 58 patt Nato waterbottle?!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Incidently- fancy a competition to see who has the oldest 58 patt Nato waterbottle?!

Ok.
1962 and its Green!and smells like somethings died inside it.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Rik's right, it's probably the number 2 that you mean. I've had one for decades but to be honest the Optimus 111B beats it hands down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE