What's your favourite piece of military kit and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No.4 Mk 1 (T) most likely Ed

Lee_Enfield_No_4_Mk_I_T.jpg

rare these days - and pricey!

E

ex member coconino

The favourite military item I've ever owned was a shirt (French army, I think) which was very well made and comfortable. I gave it away years ago, for some reason I don't remember, but I'd love to get another one, it knocked spots of gear like 5.11. I've used a WWII gas-mask bag since the 1970s and it still goes out with me sometimes as a bits and bobs satchel.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
not a great deal of my kit is civie gear. 98% of my kit is British army issue.

I'm a big fan of all of it to be honest! Though I have a real weakness for rat pack food, particularly the oatmeal block, biscuits fruit and even biscuits brown!

Andy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Dutch HH wool fleece as well as my Arktis Dancam jacket & trousers. Said it before, it's probably the best set of waterproofs I've bought.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Crusader cup/system inc 58 waterbottle - decent sized brews and a useful enough stove for quick brews on a stroll - best bottle in the game.

Dutch wool blanket (for making jackets etc) - cheap and great quality fabric
Rat packs - cheap and convenient grub!
Swedish meths stove - bomb proof ...if not overly fast :)
Vulcan Pack - tough and holds it all
Issue tarps good for ground dwelling - a bit small for hammocking
Issue bivvibag - roomy and it works :)

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Do i have to only pick one piece?
erm tough one then
i've quite a lot of army surplus kit as its cheap shrugs off most abuse and in my opinion looks better the more abuse it has had(i cant stand namby pamby kit you need to protect)
top five would be-
1-58 pattern water bottle - one of my bottles had a close encouter with low flying glass and apart from a wee chunk missing is still doing fine.
2- british army lightweight trousers-harder to find with one leg pocket and only one back pocket nowadays but i lived in them for years (back in my overly prepared stage)and still the comfiest trousers ever in my opinion worn whenever i am out in the woods.
3-58 pattern sleeping bag-yes there are lighter warmer bags but mine has done me for several years throughout the year and i have never ever begrudged carrying it.
4-swedish army trangia-its awesome
5 the new predator 50ltr pack- i bought one last year thanks to a link on here it did the fundamental course at woodlore with me and is THE pack i use now add on a couple of side pockets and its upto 70ltr add on assorted MOLLE pouches and you can have a very tailored load carrying pack

Nah you don't but it helps lower the number of posts with people just listing all their kit, also hoping to see what pieces of kit are bushcraft favourites.
So far it looks like the crusader/stainless steel cup :)

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Hmm, too many, all with stories. W. German plain parka. Thinking back I seem to have gone from being fairly smartly dressed to an old parka at around the time my dad died 10 years' ago. Lost interest in being smart and shaved then - values just change. When I started motorbiking, I fitted the padding from a crappy armoured motorbike jacket to the lining so it got used for that. At some point it got battery acid all over it so I just use it now for painting or dirty car work.

The german parkas seem to all be disappearing now (like red MkIII Cortinas, which all vanished from the streets the night of 3rd September 1988!) so I got a similar but not quite as good brand new Dutch one as my No2 coat. Strange goings-on in the pockets which have sub-pockets so you can pigeon-hole or order your contents and not find again quickly unless you have a good memory.

Just a few months ago I saw an M65 US jacket re-make in black so that's now my No1 coat, not to be used for dirty jobs. It's close to the original but I suspect not such a heavy duty material. I'll replace the nasty cheap elastic with paracord (is it too late for the hundred uses thread?). It has a better cut but the German one is better with cuffs and a warmer liner and inner pocket. Proper hoodie hood too - what's the point of the flimsy hood in the M65 anyway?

SA Trangia, hexi stove just great too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE