What's your favourite piece of military kit and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Military kit seems to be love it or hate it thing.

What I have not found yet though is a dedicated thread to discussing favourite items from the military to use in bushcraft.

So, what is your favourite piece of kit and why?, it doesn't have to be limited to clothing.

For me, its a 58 pattern jacket, because it's cheap, durable and has a loads of pockets.

Apart from general bushcraft, I also use it for 'hide and seek/ctf' type games with about 25 kids, we take them to areas such as kielder and the lake district for the weekend.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My Lee Enfield No.4 Mk II

Because, I love to take it to the range, and most guys my age learned to shoot on one and, whilst hardly the most accurate gun I own, its just great to shoot. I take an extra box of rounds to indulge someone in nostalgia. They get used most trips :D

Karma is cool too. About 2 years back I loaned to to a guy - he returned the favour with a detail shooting his original Baker rifle :eek:

Still the best military bolt action ever made

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Issued british military combat boots...theyre like slippers after all these years.

Alternatively, swedish trangia mess kit...need i say more? not too heavy to be a burden, and so adaptable for overnighters or several days in the bush.

Reactions: Tosh JPN

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Milan anti tank missile ,why? They let me blow a tank up with it once with a HESH round many years ago i know its not a bushcraft thing but its military and i was trained on it. I like the PLCE Bergen too.

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mine's a bit more abstract.
It's not an item per se, it's a style thing.
It's the American BDU cut for trousers - the most comfy and well designed cut for 'outdoor' trousers, if you ask me (which you did!).

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Dutch army roll mat, nice and thick but light. MSS sleep system, a lot of kit for the money and the bivi bag is great. Berghaus Cyclops Roc to put it in, no need to go over the merits of the Roc! Loads of nice Swedish and Dutch kit out there, there are a few things that catch my eye when it comes to surplus gear. There are lots of military bits and bobs I use but a sleep system and something to carry it in are the real essentials in my mind.

Do i have to only pick one piece?
erm tough one then
i've quite a lot of army surplus kit as its cheap shrugs off most abuse and in my opinion looks better the more abuse it has had(i cant stand namby pamby kit you need to protect)
top five would be-
1-58 pattern water bottle - one of my bottles had a close encouter with low flying glass and apart from a wee chunk missing is still doing fine.
2- british army lightweight trousers-harder to find with one leg pocket and only one back pocket nowadays but i lived in them for years (back in my overly prepared stage)and still the comfiest trousers ever in my opinion worn whenever i am out in the woods.
3-58 pattern sleeping bag-yes there are lighter warmer bags but mine has done me for several years throughout the year and i have never ever begrudged carrying it.
4-swedish army trangia-its awesome
5 the new predator 50ltr pack- i bought one last year thanks to a link on here it did the fundamental course at woodlore with me and is THE pack i use now add on a couple of side pockets and its upto 70ltr add on assorted MOLLE pouches and you can have a very tailored load carrying pack

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
A tank with the gun turret converted to play dance music a la the KLF.

I also like biscuits fruit.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
For me it's got to be the Lk 35 from Sweden, old school frame pack, no frills, 40 years behind the rest of the world. Don't feel any weight when it's on, and it just seems to keep swallowing kit!

AWESOME!!

EdS

My Lee Enfield No.4 Mk II

Because, I love to take it to the range, and most guys my age learned to shoot on one and, whilst hardly the most accurate gun I own, its just great to shoot. I take an extra box of rounds to indulge someone in nostalgia. They get used most trips :D

Karma is cool too. About 2 years back I loaned to to a guy - he returned the favour with a detail shooting his original Baker rifle :eek:

Still the best military bolt action ever made

My father used to have one of the Sniper ones when I was a kid. Came with the sights as well - had to go back to the army when it went. Still no idea how he got it. Was a .303 rather than a converted 7.62mm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE