What's your favourite piece of military kit and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Incidently- fancy a competition to see who has the oldest 58 patt Nato waterbottle?!

Ok.
1962 and its Green!and smells like somethings died inside it.

Damn. LOL- you win by a good ten years! I've seen one of those old green bottles before, but only one! My one from '72 seems to be a slightly different shape and a thicker plastic than newer ones.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Well the only bit of military kit I have is a german army issue 1964 folding shovel and it is some bit of kit to use.

Craig

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Sweedish trangia set (only when used with tatonka burner as the issue one is carp).
Crusader set
Olive bivi
Norgie for sleeping in
Is a mora an issue item?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It wasn't issued but we all use to have the old HH Field Jacket (Fleece before softies came on the seen) I bought mine in 1994 and still have it. Best bit of kit I ever had and still do. The one item I will never get rid of!
Oh and arctic socks!

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
It wasn't issued but we all use to have the old HH Field Jacket (Fleece before softies came on the seen) I bought mine in 1994 and still have it. Best bit of kit I ever had and still do. The one item I will never get rid of!
Oh and arctic socks!

thats how we could id marines no one else seemed to have them

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
my favorite was the oatmeal blocks,i loved em and still do.lived of them when i was a DON R.

big affection for the SLR and FV432s as well.

couple of weeks ago i bought a snugpak sleeka lite [and then the original] i never had one before and now the lite is my favourite bit of kit!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Funny you should say that, 3 Para were the first lads to get the Softies back in '96 (I think it was?) and you could spot them a mile away because they were all wearing them!!!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
you could spot the paras even easier they where all 5ft :D

I noticed that, I didn't enlist but all my mates...

Think the other paras i've met have, what's the word?, stretched? after coming out...;)

Just thinking, my relatives in the Marines aren't tall either.

One of the lads in my Police training was a Marine and he ran with both arms straight down, used to carrying 'whatever' that way he said.

Last edited:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We used to call it the Airborne Shuffle! I was 6'2" & a bit when I joined up & now I'm 6'1"...go figure! Although I wasn't a Para (I served in 216 Para Sigs but didn't get my wings up) or a Marine. I was in the Signals!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE