Your top 3 steels and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Slighty off topic but- Anyone tried AE Damascus blades? Though made by Enzo (so probably pretty good) I can't find any info online about them.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Much easier for me to list steels I do not like, based on multiple blades, treated by different makers:
O-1: yes, cuts really well, sharp, tough enough, don't like it rusting on expeditions. Not a problem for days out, but multiple day trips, using for food prep, cleaning fish and game, wet weather.
S30V: I want a fine edge and every knife have had in this has practically lost that fine edge just sitting on the shelf
Completely understand your thoughts on these, at for O1, it is a given that it rusts, but in my experience it is much better at resisting rust than the 10XX series, with 52100 being better still in all aspects. But there is a simple joy in O1 that will stand the test of time.

In relation to S30v, in my experience, like yours, it does not want to take or hold a hair whittling edge, like Vg10. But the rough working edge does really last.

Just to add interest, carbon or stainless for detailed whittling?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Slighty off topic but- Anyone tried AE Damascus blades? Though made by Enzo (so probably pretty good) I can't find any info online about them.
No I haven't, I don't know why, but I have never had a chance to try a Damascus blade......must try one....

Reactions: Sieddy

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
No I haven't, I don't know why, but I have never had a chance to try a Damascus blade......must try one....
Mainly aesthetic pal.
Most I have used are 1080 folded with 15n20 etc.
So you get the good and bad in both steels.
Cowry x etc are ridiculous price wise so have no experience

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Mainly aesthetic pal.
Most I have used are 1080 folded with 15n20 etc.
So you get the good and bad in both steels.
Cowry x etc are ridiculous price wise so have no experience
That's what I thought, as for Cowry x, it is pretty much folded ZDP189

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

Some years back, an AE Damascus blade was sent on a pass around on British Blades forum. I used it and was impressed. Certainly no issues with that one from anyone.

Reactions: Sieddy

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I don't know anything about steel, had a Mora or two, seemed a bit hard to get sharp when it was blunt. Got a TBS BOAR in K720 and it's a dream in terms of sharpness. When I got it first I had a nick in it but that seems to have vanished now. Stropping after use and it's extremely sharp again and again

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have a set of Myiabi Birchwoid kitchen knives.
They have a core of some high tech steel, and clad in Damascus.
Looks good. Zero added function though, the Damascus.

Love them still, second best kitchen knives we have.

Why is nobody doing a Damascus from Carbon steel and Stainless?
Oxidise the carbonsteel - would look spectacular!

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I have a set of Myiabi Birchwoid kitchen knives.
They have a core of some high tech steel, and clad in Damascus.
Looks good. Zero added function though, the Damascus.

Love them still, second best kitchen knives we have.

Why is nobody doing a Damascus from Carbon steel and Stainless?
Oxidise the carbonsteel - would look spectacular!
Prone to delamination

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Interesting that, about delamination, I mean. Didn't know that. It's not what I'd expect given that san mai is sometimes a carbon core with a stainless jacket

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE