What's your favorite watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
A few of my wearers at the moment
7397E961-0306-4791-8C1B-7BEB883A7A10-1362-00000114D07116C7_zpsc13761be.jpg

Johnnyboy what's the watch on the far right??? Mmmm watches........stop it!!!!!

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Automatic for me, the quartz jobbies die on me after just a few months. Have a simple Sinn 656 and had it 5 or 6 years now, no complaints other than the original strap rotting off my wrist in the eastern sahara. Although I think any leather strap would have gone the same way.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nite MX-10 except the straps just do not last and can't be replaced except with their replacements. Currently mines a drawer queen as I can't merit the 20 for a replacement and they have stopped making the OG version I like.

Otherwise a cracking watch, brilliant at night, let down by a strap that cracks to bits after a couple of years daily wear. I got a couple of months extra out of the last strap using a industrial stapler and green nasty...

So currently I'm using a clockwork Excalibur pocket watch on a plaited hootchie cord fob herself made me.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Really interesting thread! I was toying with the idea of getting a decent Suunto with a compass on it for trips away and kayaking adventures. But having already stumbled across the Timex Expedition series, I might just save my pennies!

My Suunto leaks like a sieve now and fogs up even if walking in the rain. This even after using a proper battery change and replacement seal kit. I also find that the digital compass is pretty inaccurate and is only an emergency standby for approximate bearing. Others may have had a better experience. I now wear a proper waterproof automatic watch and carry a good compass!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My Suunto leaks like a sieve now and fogs up even if walking in the rain. This even after using a proper battery change and replacement seal kit. I also find that the digital compass is pretty inaccurate and is only an emergency standby for approximate bearing. Others may have had a better experience. I now wear a proper waterproof automatic watch and carry a good compass!

I agree. I've had a Suunto Vector's battery fail on me mid-multi-day outing, which was frustrating to say the least. Now, I take my Bremont U2 for telling the time, my Suunto compass for pointing me in the right direction and my Thommen altimeter for letting me know how high I am or whether the weather is about to do unspeakable things to me. No batteries anywhere and so, no problem!

robdjon

Sep 12, 2013
Plymouth
Think it would have to be a Breitling Navitime 24 hour dial, universal tricomplex, omega flightmaster/seamaster or if the funds were no object something by patek philippe, jaeger lecoultre my list is endless. All mechanical watches (Proper Watches):)

robdjon

Sep 12, 2013
Plymouth
Many thanks for that John must put my hand up and say that I trained as a watch and clock maker for 5 years some of that time spent in Switzerland, there are many fantastic watches out there some with recognised names, and some that people have not even heard of, I tend to go for the older makes of watches and with complications , such as up and down work, chronograph, day, date, month, moon phase etc. No disrespect but I'm not a great fan of quarts watches however they do have there place in watch history, think my favourite battery watch would have to be a tuning fork watch or some of the old L.E.D watches.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I love my Divex divers watch. Its really robust and quite heavy. My mate bought it for me when he was working on the DSV Skandi Achiever. The watch is branded with the vessel name and it has great sentimental value as well as looking the dogs danglies.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I once had a citizen eco drive that kept losing battery power. I sent it back 4 times had 2 replacements in different models and they all did the same. Maybe its because I wear long sleeves in winter and the watch never got enough light. I wouldn't have one again.

I was bought a Seiko Kinetic about 20 years ago as an xmas present. I had it for 10 years and it never let me down. Some nice scrote decided to help themselves to the contents of my locker while swimming and that was the last I ever saw of it. My dads is still going strong after 35 years. One day when funds allow I will get another one but I can't see that happening anytime soon :(

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
My dad got the brother and I a seiko automatic each when we were 10 & 12, I wore and put that watch through all sorts of assorted hardship until I fell in a burn and broke the glass when I was 26, it stopped working after that.

Then I went through periods of not wearing a watch or wearing real cheapies, trouble was I'd get 6 months and they'd start going wonky, stopping starting etc. So I thought I'd buy a better watch, that was a £100+ battery powered with a very bright self illuminating dial, really liked it. After about 5 or 6 months it started playing up too, I happened to be in london and just walked into a jewelers and asked them to change the battery, the guy whipped the battery out and tested it; "nothing wrong with this, it should last 5 to 6 years".

We got talking and I told him I can never get a battery watch to last any more than 6 months or so, he told me that there are people who can't go the battery watches and that I should look at a mechanical watch.

So I looked into it. Seemingly this is contested by the scientific community as a jewelers myth, but then I have a half dozen plus newish knackered battery powered watches in an old box that say there's something to it, so I bought an automatic 6 years ago and it's still going strong. Myth or not I'll be avoiding battery powered in future.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My dad got the brother and I a seiko automatic each when we were 10 & 12, I wore and put that watch through all sorts of assorted hardship until I fell in a burn and broke the glass when I was 26, it stopped working after that.

Then I went through periods of not wearing a watch or wearing real cheapies, trouble was I'd get 6 months and they'd start going wonky, stopping starting etc. So I thought I'd buy a better watch, that was a £100+ battery powered with a very bright self illuminating dial, really liked it. After about 5 or 6 months it started playing up too, I happened to be in london and just walked into a jewelers and asked them to change the battery, the guy whipped the battery out and tested it; "nothing wrong with this, it should last 5 to 6 years".

We got talking and I told him I can never get a battery watch to last any more than 6 months or so, he told me that there are people who can't go the battery watches and that I should look at a mechanical watch.

So I looked into it. Seemingly this is contested by the scientific community as a jewelers myth, but then I have a half dozen plus newish knackered battery powered watches in an old box that say there's something to it, so I bought an automatic 6 years ago and it's still going strong. Myth or not I'll be avoiding battery powered in future.

I'm with you on that one, have tried numerous battery watches over the years and they don't last long. Use a Seiko Automatic (got two) and they work fine on me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE