What's your favorite watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for that Goatboy, makes me feel less David Ike or Arthur C , and more of a myth buster!

I found that keeping calm and centred more has helped as it's not just watches. (And since the pacemaker I better maintain that calm in case it goes pop!).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Eek, I hadn't thought of that :27:

The surgeon did poo-poo the idea when I mentioned it but as I'm a very calm person now - have been for years I hope it won't be a problem. If anything too laid back. But I wonder if any research has been done into it?

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
The surgeon did poo-poo the idea when I mentioned it but as I'm a very calm person now - have been for years I hope it won't be a problem. If anything too laid back. But I wonder if any research has been done into it?

Not that I'm aware of, most stuff I've found relating to it online was in the poo poo category. For me if it were just a couple of watches then there could be any number of reasons, stereo speakers etc, but for me I've had so many go the same way that I don't think it's s coincidence. Hope the pace maker's built of sterner stuff than my watches

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not that I'm aware of, most stuff I've found relating to it online was in the poo poo category. For me if it were just a couple of watches then there could be any number of reasons, stereo speakers etc, but for me I've had so many go the same way that I don't think it's s coincidence. Hope the pace maker's built of sterner stuff than my watches

So far so good - weird when you feel it kick in.

Cheers,
GB.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I once had a citizen eco drive that kept losing battery power. I sent it back 4 times had 2 replacements in different models and they all did the same. Maybe its because I wear long sleeves in winter and the watch never got enough light. I wouldn't have one again.

Interesting to hear this. I had a Citizen Eco that died after a year and neither the shop that sold it nor Eco took any responsibility for it. I bought a Casio diver's watch off Amazon for £35 as a temporary replacment and it is still going strong after seven years. It only comes off my wrist in the shower if I remember.

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
I have a eco drive have had it 7 years and it's never lost a minute. I wear mine everyday, the face is scratched to hell but it keeps going and has never let me down

Sent from my GT-I9100

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Interesting to hear this. I had a Citizen Eco that died after a year and neither the shop that sold it nor Eco took any responsibility for it. I bought a Casio diver's watch off Amazon for £35 as a temporary replacment and it is still going strong after seven years. It only comes off my wrist in the shower if I remember.

I have to admit the shop couldn't have been more helpful (H Samuel) and it was them that offered the replacements. Citizen were next to useless and although the first time I went back was only 2 months after buying the watch they tried to fob off the shop and tell them it was their issue and they should sort it. Although it was clearly an issue with the product.

I have a eco drive have had it 7 years and it's never lost a minute. I wear mine everyday, the face is scratched to hell but it keeps going and has never let me down

I think its the later watches that have issues because about 6 years ago I used to sell them when I worked part time in a dive shop and the owners raved about them. When my missus wanted to get me a watch for xmas I suggested an eco drive as I knew she couldn't afford a Seiko Kinetic. I never hear of anyone having issues until I got one. After I took it back to the shop the assistant told me they were always getting returned but it had only been over the last few years. That was 2 years ago.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Many thanks for that John must put my hand up and say that I trained as a watch and clock maker for 5 years some of that time spent in Switzerland, there are many fantastic watches out there some with recognised names, and some that people have not even heard of, I tend to go for the older makes of watches and with complications , such as up and down work, chronograph, day, date, month, moon phase etc. No disrespect but I'm not a great fan of quarts watches however they do have there place in watch history, think my favourite battery watch would have to be a tuning fork watch or some of the old L.E.D watches.

Hi Jon

Here's my hummer, nothing special like a Spaceview or anything but it's nice to see the smooth running second hand and hear the constant Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

bulovaacconwrist.jpg

bulovaaccmovement.jpg

Still have the box and manual/Warranty!

bulovaaccbox5.jpg

bulovaaccbox3.jpg

A few complicated watches..

Carronade Valjeoux based Bullhead watch..

1bh.jpg

A Venus178 powered Breitling Navitimer made in 1965..

1be.jpg

A couple of 3133 powered Ruskies..

poljot1.jpg

a Sturmanskie chrono..

vwsturmanskie.jpg

Cheers, John :)

Last edited:

robdjon

Sep 12, 2013
Plymouth
Hi Jon

Here's my hummer, nothing special like a Spaceview or anything but it's nice to see the smooth running second hand and hear the constant Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

bulovaacconwrist.jpg

bulovaaccmovement.jpg

Still have the box and manual/Warranty!

bulovaaccbox5.jpg

bulovaaccbox3.jpg

A few complicated watches..

Carronade Valjeoux based Bullhead watch..

1bh.jpg

A Venus178 powered Breitling Navitimer made in 1965..

1be.jpg

A couple of 3133 powered Ruskies..

poljot1.jpg

a Sturmanskie chrono..

poljot1.jpg

vwsturmanskie.jpg

Cheers, John :)

Some really nice watches there John, have not had the Bulova accutron had the omega one, Valjeoux and venus movements very nice, worked on a fair few of those. The sekonda chrono was quite fun a copy of one of the venus movement. Have you any lemamia movements.

Hope you don't mind me saying that from the photo I think there might be a screw missing from valjeoux movment.

Be nice to see some more Proper watches:) ;-)

ATB Rob

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Some really nice watches there John, have not had the Bulova accutron had the omega one, Valjeoux and venus movements very nice, worked on a fair few of those. The sekonda chrono was quite fun a copy of one of the venus movement. Have you any lemamia movements.

Hope you don't mind me saying that from the photo I think there might be a screw missing from valjeoux movment.

Be nice to see some more Proper watches:) ;-)

ATB Rob

Hi Rob

Yes, you're quite right!!

I haven't a clue where the screw went but since the stopwatch stopped working, I looked in and noticed that it wasn't there!!, it may have been missing all the time i've had the watch and popped off the small boss when i've knocked it!

I'll have to have a look at it one day!
I have plenty of scrap watches to salvage parts from!!!

I've never had anything with a Lemania inside apart from a sports stopwath (Handheld as a pocketwatch), that one needs stripping, cleaning and lubing..

I sold my cleaning machine as Arthritis was making it difficult to keep hold of the screwdrivers!!

I'll post some pics of my other faves tomorrow (have to go to work now!)..

John:)

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
Favorite watch? PAM000 hands down, I take it everywhere with me, from bottom of the sea to the peaks of high mountains. Below my EDC stuff photographed 2 days ago in the snowy highland village:

IMG_4345.JPG

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
My everyday wear is a Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay, when I am camping I wear a Seiko Diving watch, which I bought in Belize to use in the jungle as the G10 I'd been issued with stopped working on my first day of my first patrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2012
Cornwall
ypezany4.jpg
u4y4any3.jpg

My old G shock 7ish years old been ever where with me

Seen off many other watches I have tried
Love it

And a little silva compass as I was working in a building that the location were done my compass points

Found it really useful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Garmin Fenix. I've been wearing it for about 8 months and just found out how to put v simple maps on it. Love it

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
My Vostok Commander manual winder is my favourite watch. It was made some time in the eighties, I have had it about a year now and it still keeps very good time. The lume on it is very dim now just like its owner. :)

DSCN0430.jpgDSCN0406.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE