What's your favorite watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mickeyluv

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2010
derbyshire
I bought an 80's quartz omega seamaster off a mate for £350 which he had from new, it is accurate to 10 seconds/ month (which is the same as his new rolex auto loses every day) uses a battery every 3-4 years and dosnt need serviceing every year.
untitled_zpsa607b09c.png

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
If you really believe that a quartz watch is more reliable that a mechanical one then good for you. It's true that they are more accurate but I have never had one that has got me past the five year mark. And I cant recall any quartz watch I ever bought giving more than a 12 month warranty. My mechanical Seiko divers watch has a 25 year professional use guarantee, a bargain for 400 notes. Lets put that against the Quartz Tag Heuer Super Professional 1000m Diver watch. It costs £1280 and only has a 12 month "reasonable use" warranty. If manufacturers wont stand by their quartz watches, why should I ???
PS try finding a replacement battery and seals in the wilderness should the need ever arise!
It's horses for courses but in my experience mechanical watches require servicing that is much more expensive than batteries and have moving parts that wear out. Quartz watches often don't. If you have a solar watch you never need to change the battery and as others have said Quartz watches can last for decades. I have a fair few watches of both types and my wife seems to have one for each day of the year. The most reliable, accurate and functional are quartz. The one on my wrist most often has been there for over 8 years without missing a beat. I wore one of the original swatches from the age of 18 most days for over 10 years before selling it off my wrist, to a jeweller who I had asked to change the battery, for over 10 times what I paid for it and he threw in a new swatch that I think I still have in a drawer.

On the other hand (or wrist) I have a Rolex Explorer that is definitely over 25 years old but, despite being serviced as recommended, has had a couple of problems as has some of the more recent ones including two of my wives. My most recent Submariner only came with a 2 year warranty same as my Casio despite costing 50 times as much and is no where near as accurate. There are other reasons to get them and the engineering is amazing but strict utility is not one of them. Clearly your experience is different but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Last edited:

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
It's horses for courses but in my experience mechanical watches require servicing that is much more expensive than batteries and have moving parts that wear out. Quartz watches often don't. If you have a solar watch you never need to change the battery and as others have said Quartz watches can last for decades. I have a fair few watches of both types and my wife seems to have one for each day of the year. The most reliable, accurate and functional are quartz. The one on my wrist most often has been there for over 8 years without missing a beat. I wore one of the original swatches from the age of 18 most days for over 10 years before selling it off my wrist, to a jeweller who I had asked to change the battery, for over 10 times what I paid for it and he threw in a new swatch that I think I still have in a drawer.

On the other hand (or wrist) I have a Rolex Explorer that is definitely over 25 years old but, despite being serviced as recommended, has had a couple of problems as has some of the more recent ones including two of my wives. My most recent Submariner only came with a 2 year warranty same as my Casio despite costing 50 times as much and is no where near as accurate. There are other reasons to get them and the engineering is amazing but strict utility is not one of them. Clearly your experience is different but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Wives can be like that sometimes, lots of problems despite regular servicing.:joke:

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
How many ! :yikes:

Been collecting them for over thirty five years :eek::eek:

Here's what I thought was around half of them but more boxes have turned up in the spare room that I'd forgotten about, I think I have around 2,500 but a lot of them don't work and are for spares (I used to have a go at repairing but Arthritis in my hands has put paid to that :( )..

Afewwatches.jpg

About once a month I used to wind as many of the manual wind watches up as possible, the most I ever managed was a little over seventy before my finger ends were so sore that I couldn't do any more...

John :)

lurker

Feb 13, 2012
pembs
i bought a G shock in 1988{ october ive still got the reciept!} still going strong 3 new batteries and 4 straps, bruised and battered just wont give up best 30 quid ive spent

kenthompson

Feb 15, 2013
Spain
My favourite was a Diesel I had for a few years and LOVED, but I lost it like, 3 months ago, and my wrist has felt naked without it. I'm currently looking at a load of other Diesel watches to find a replacement. More out of sentiment probably... Like when a pet dies and you call your next pet by the same/similar name! Strange haha...:confused:

markmullen

Oct 4, 2012
North Yorkshire
My favourite is my Omega Speedmaster Professional, the Moonwatch. It goes everywhere with me, I just wish it was waterproof. I've got a Seiko Black Monster, a Citizen Ecodrive and a G Shock too for rough jobs.

My next purchase are going to be a Rolex, probably a stainless datejust or airking and I've got a fancy for an old omega dress watch from my birth year, 1978.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I've got a G-Shock for everyday use which is indestructible and for hill walking etc I've got a Tissot T-Touch expert 2. It has a built-in compass with functionality for walking on a bearing, air pressure sensor for weather and altitude read outs and thermometer. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Traser ......love it , sadly it wasn't sealed right after its last battery change . Keep meaning to send it for a service but I can't bear the thought of sending it off :eek:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Traser ......love it , sadly it wasn't sealed right after its last battery change . Keep meaning to send it for a service but I can't bear the thought of sending it off :eek:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

I know a place that will sorry that out.... The owner has a strange habit of hiding from bearded baldies... :lmao:

touched by nature

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Really interesting thread! I was toying with the idea of getting a decent Suunto with a compass on it for trips away and kayaking adventures. But having already stumbled across the Timex Expedition series, I might just save my pennies!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Ooh yes. If ever I buy a new watch, it'll probably be one of those - if I can justify the cost. Which movement does yours have?

It's an ETA automatic movement like all the Bell and Rosses, and half the world's luxury watches, I think. Keeps amazing time 'though. The BR93-01 is huge and quite waterproof with the screw-down crown. The BR93-02 which I have is smaller and doesn't have a screw down crown, but it does have a microscopic date!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE