What you can /can't eat book,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Any good recommendations on a book with quality pictures and guide what you can forridge to eat safely all year around.
My mom would have loved this section on the forum,their wasn't a lot she didn't know what you could couldn't eat .as kids we hunted for mushroom ,picked all fruits,nuts berries all manor of things.
The bad thing is we never retained what we were taught why I don't know,she's too old can't walk now with little sight but I want to learn again and teach my children.
I'm lucky my kids love the wild and show great interest and with their two ridgeback protectors will just go off in to the thick to see what they can find and adventure.
Myself mushrooms I love ,have been a keen shooter since 7 or8 but never had the opportunity to hunt for and prep food from such.
Thank you in advance for your recommendations .

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wild Gourmets by Thomasina Miers and Guy Grieve is also pretty good as is Wild Food by Ray Mears. Though the latter maybe deals with the history and ethos of it rather than being a field guide. Collins do a series of pocket guides on things like planrs, animals and the seashore (which is where I think I'll head if the world goes belly up - much easier). Seashore foraging is good and the kids should have fun too. But see about getting those shooting skills into some legal hunting!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I had forgotten about Wild Gourmets, good book, tv series was not bad either
Only saw one program and it's like hens teeth to find, but the book is great. Even with my feelings on Mr Grieve after the kit incident. Some good cooking in there.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Wild Gourmets by Thomasina Miers and Guy Grieve is also pretty good as is Wild Food by Ray Mears. Though the latter maybe deals with the history and ethos of it rather than being a field guide. Collins do a series of pocket guides on things like planrs, animals and the seashore (which is where I think I'll head if the world goes belly up - much easier). Seashore foraging is good and the kids should have fun too. But see about getting those shooting skills into some legal hunting!

Already looked at some of these books on eBay.seems to be a few about so that's great.
I can see the smaller pocket books very usefull I guess having it with you is ideal.
As for hunting I have no problem doing so but as I know little about skinning gutting so on I think it best if the opertunity arose I got out with someone who knows their stuff.
I can gut fish prepare cook so on as I only ever fish for food not sport when holidaying in highlands from lochs .mostly pollock.but never done feather and fure.
Seashore foraging I have tried but again unsure what's and nots .
I had noticed over the last month too two a abundance of wild mushroom in the woodland I walk with the hounds ,I can't wait till next year to pick.
Love elderflower wine too so want to try this .
Tonight it's bottling last of our apples from tree once stewed down.
Thank you gents for the advise .
Will check out all .

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There is no one book that will do what you want. There are lots of good books mentioned above that will tell you what you can eat, but none of these books will adequately enable you to identify your edibles and distinguish them from other plant species. For that you need a good general plant identification book, and a lot of time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE