I could eat a bowl of soup every day, how about you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I'm one of those people that could eat a bowl of soup every day.
Doesn't matter the weather hot or cold.
I just love soup.
Some of my favorites are lental,broth of any kind, vegetable etc.
My favorite is one my Mom used to make is the following.
2 or 3 cubed potato1 large diced onion couple of cans crushed tomatoes
Ground beef just pinched in not browned or anything
water to fill pot
Let it cook about an hour then add some type of noodles.
Between the two of us we could kill the whole pot.
How about you all? Are you soup junkies too??
jon

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Hear! Hear!
Well said that man.
I'm with you.
I'm going out for a jolly good walk tomorrow and I've already put a can of soup in my bag - my favourite: lentil and vegetable.
Mind you, I have a soft spot for chicken and vegetable Big Soup as well.

Reactions: zornt

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am in love with soups with a beef base and LOTS of barley. I like Ichiban chicken +dice green onion and extra veg stock powder. Cream of Mushroom with half the milk and a can of fine chop extra mushrooms.

I was taught how to make Mexican Gazpacho Soup. It's an iced and spicy tomato base for hot weather. Interesting cooling sensation. Not worth it just for myself but for 4-6 people, no leftovers.

Reactions: Nice65 and zornt

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am in love with soups with a beef base and LOTS of barley. I like Ichiban chicken +dice green onion and extra veg stock powder. Cream of Mushroom with half the milk and a can of fine chop extra mushrooms.

I was taught how to make Mexican Gazpacho Soup. It's an iced and spicy tomato base for hot weather. Interesting cooling sensation. Not worth it just for myself but for 4-6 people, no leftovers.

Oooh... recipe needed :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can buy beef, chicken and veg soup broth base (no salt, add your own). Shred a bunch of left over meat, give it an extra dice and toss it in. Beef bones, chicken bones, whatever. I'll add a cup or two of frozen mixed veg and a cup of frozen peas (or dice snap peas in the pod if I find some.)
Two serious handfuls of barley and simmer until the barley is tender. That's it. It has to sit on the stove and stay steaming hot for the barley. Never use rice = insipid. Pasta is OK.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Leek and potato, cheap and satisfying, was a staple in my kitchen,

Nowadays I prefer butternut and sweet potato, or lentil and tomato.

Homemade chicken soup made with the carcas of a roast chicken, and herbs for a broth, strain the broth to get rid of the bones skin and gristle bits, add some chicken meat, and left over stuffing, onions, potato's carrots and peas, season and voilà, grannies boxing day soup, that lasted for days!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I can buy beef, chicken and veg soup broth base (no salt, add your own). Shred a bunch of left over meat, give it an extra dice and toss it in. Beef bones, chicken bones, whatever. I'll add a cup or two of frozen mixed veg and a cup of frozen peas (or dice snap peas in the pod if I find some.)
Two serious handfuls of barley and simmer until the barley is tender. That's it. It has to sit on the stove and stay steaming hot for the barley. Never use rice = insipid. Pasta is OK.

Here we use pearl barley in soups, it’s de-husked and soaks up all the flavour of a good broth soup., It’s a good starch, by no means as nutritious as Quinoa, but a good basic ingredient. Like potatoes, doesn’t pretend to be much other than carbs. I totally agree with you on rice = insipid, it’s not a soup ingredient, it has a realm of its own as a sponge for powerful spicy dishes.

Here‘s a question. Does a soup need to have at least some of the ingredients cooked? I’ve had a type of Gazpacho that was pretty much a sieved blender thing made with raw tomatoes, garlic, a light stock, fresh herbs, with some of the pulp pushed through the sieve. Really lovely cold “soup”. I think the onion was softened in a pan but that was it.

In answer to our man Zornt, yes indeed, a soup a day. :)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
NO, I think "soup" means a liquid of some sort with lots of lumpy bits and pieces swimming in it. That's just me.

Gazpacho (cold soup for a hot day)
Cream of Fern Fiddlehead (hot)
Split Pea with ham (hot)
Corn Chowder (hot)

Those are my soups. They seem to fit my imagination and the Fern is a seasonal thing when there are croziers as far as you can see in the spring. I made lots of Gaz when my kids were at home (at the lake for the summer) but those guys are long grown and gone. Have not made it since. My Dad used to make clam chowder with a couple of cans of little clams. I'd rather eat the clams fried with garlic bread!

Do fresh mussels steamed in white wine, peppers and garlic count as soup?

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Homemade chicken soup made with the carcas of a roast chicken, and herbs for a broth, strain the broth to get rid of the bones skin and gristle bits, add some chicken meat, and left over stuffing, onions, potato's carrots and peas, season and voilà, grannies boxing day soup, that lasted for days!
must be a very big batch for it to last more than one [1] day :smile:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I looked at my Gazpacho recipe. Never doubled it.
There's a 1.9 liter/66 oz can of veg juice of some sort.
The veggies are chilled, being tossed with 24 smashed up ice cubes. That must add 30+ oz water.
Some oil and all the herbs & veg. That would keep both kids happy for lunches on the beach for 2-3 days. I would make it and expect them to serve themselves.

The neat thing is that it would keep very well for 5 days in the fridge. I don't know if cold white wine replacing 1/3 of the ice cubes would be any improvement or not. Probably force a siesta.

Reactions: zornt and Winnet

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Just for Zornt.
I said I was going to and I did have my mug of spicy lentil soup.
It was lovely.
And to make things even better, I had a bit of crusty bread for mopping up with.
And I also had a pack of Frazzles and a peach for pudding...

52269519094_4e378b8bff.jpg

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
The what3words for my main camp include Swan Soup. There are swans on some ponds very close by and I'll cook and eat most things but I think I'll pass this time :).

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Seljanka is one of my favorite soups.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Carrot and coriander tonight :) It's a miserable dreich day here, the lights were on by six pm, we even had the radiators on for half an hour, and soup just hit the mark :)

Can't say I'd have soup every day, but there's a fair range and a couple of times a week I make a pot. Rarely leftovers :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE