What would you carry?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
In the light of the problems in the west country at the end of last week because of the snow, where people found themselves stranded on Bodmin Moor, what would you carry in the boot of your car "just in case" you found yourself stranded in a simlar scenario?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
maver said:
In the light of the problems in the west country at the end of last week because of the snow, where people found themselves stranded on Bodmin Moor, what would you carry in the boot of your car "just in case" you found yourself stranded in a simlar scenario?

My wife and a doubble sleeping bag. :D
cheers
Abbe

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
I'm going to try out some of these "instant heat" coffee's you can get in the petrol stations. Alone they are a bit strong and a bit sweet. But I recon' that can be balanced out with some extra water. Maybe a pot noodle or two, with some means of heating water that doesn't mean buying much extra kit! Anyone know where you can get those elements that used to plug into the cigerette lighters? Or another answer to boiling up in a car? Some bottles of water. An empty bottle to wee in. Some packaged food I can eat cold(maybe a rotating stock of cheese and onion pasties?) . Chocolate. Lots of chocolate. But that's usually in there anyway.

Lots of spare clothes for me, and some spare just in case. A couple of blankets. Usual stuff for a breakdown / first aid issue. Torch. Batteries. Books to read. Harmonica to play. Son's game boy if I can get away with it! Shovel of some sort. Waterproofs. Bag to put it all in.

Road atlas. Right beside me. Then I can avoid traffic jams, or just find a nearby town that could accomodate my needs for the night (pub with B&B).

I guess it's about having a bag of stuff that isn't about survival, but more about just taking the edge off the difficulties experienced in a three or four hour traffic jam in winter!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
In the back of my landrover, I have among other things a set of spanners and a socket set, so that if I get stuck on a duel carriageway, I can undo the barriers and go round the other way, and I also carry a petol disc cutter, so if it is the steel rope type I would cut through it. I do not like hold ups and the thought of staying put all night in a metal can does not sound good to me, so I would do anything and use anything at my disposal to carry on my journey, if at all poss .............Jon

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I do carry some stuff in case I get stuck in the snow, as work out in the Oxfordshire countryside.

Includes a hat, gloves, sturdy boots, socks; airline-style blanket; Mora knife, multitool, folding shovel and folding saw; a Hexy stove, lighter and fuel; bottle of water, tea, tinned food; poncho, tent pegs and paracord.

I stick them in a 33ltr highlander pack, and just leave it in the boot of my car during the winter months. Came in very handy last year, when the road I took home froze over and everyone was stuck for four hours. After that little escapade, I added one of those self-lighting barbecue logs, and leave it in with the spare wheel.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Well growing up on Exmoor I remember numerous occasions digging my dad’s car. We even went down one hill on the roof of the transit van.

A good car kit is

Tire Chains.
Shovel.
Axe and saw.
Large bag of builder’s sand, the weight adds traction to the rear wheels.
At least four potato, feed or Hessian sacks to but under tyres for traction or to use as insulation.
Road works flashing warning beacon to but on car roof as signal you/car is there.
Tow rope or chain
Fuel
Water
Sleeping bag, a couple of blankets and spear warm clothes suitable to replace your everyday clothes.
Walking boots, something to replace your trainers or office shoes.
Cooker and pan/kettle.
Torch, radio with spear batteries.
Food and tea/coffee.
Whistle.
Road map, OS maps of area, compass.
Big warm hat and some big thick mitts

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Jon Pickett said:
In the back of my landrover, I have among other things a set of spanners and a socket set, so that if I get stuck on a duel carriageway, I can undo the barriers and go round the other way, and I also carry a petol disc cutter, so if it is the steel rope type I would cut through it.

:eek: :eek:
Do you know how much tension is in those steel rope barriers ? If you cut it , it would likely take your head off !!!
Pumbaa

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
The Joker said:
I would take ruby red slippers, so if I got stuck I could put them on and say...............There's no place like home. :lmao:

you have a ruby red Swanni as well ;) so that would be very fetching :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
pumbaa said:
:eek: :eek:
Do you know how much tension is in those steel rope barriers ? If you cut it , it would likely take your head off !!!
Pumbaa

Yeah but it would ping away from me though. I could not just sit there and do nothing..............Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE