What would you carry?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Jon Pickett said:
Yeah but it would ping away from me though. I could not just sit there and do nothing..............Jon
I've seen this happen on boats and it is lethal. Really lethal. I personally have had a tiny wire (lucky) that whipped into my thumb. I thought it was fine when I looked at it, just had a wire sticking out... I pulled it... kept pulling... pulling.... there were four long inches of the stuff in my hand. Amazingly it must have missed nerves or something because I never felt it, but the hole got rather nasty (infected) and I ended up in casualty. And I was extremely lucky in that a) the wire was about as thick as cotton thread and b) it didn't hurt. Think what a carriageway cable could do, shredded or no! I've heard stories of people (really, too graphic to post here :eek: :eek: ) hit by breaking cables in poorly maintained yachts... horrific.
I would say you would be a huge amount safer just driving across a field :eek: :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
arctic hobo said:
I've seen this happen on boats and it is lethal. Really lethal. I personally have had a tiny wire (lucky) that whipped into my thumb. I thought it was fine when I looked at it, just had a wire sticking out... I pulled it... kept pulling... pulling.... there were four long inches of the stuff in my hand. Amazingly it must have missed nerves or something because I never felt it, but the hole got rather nasty (infected) and I ended up in casualty. And I was extremely lucky in that a) the wire was about as thick as cotton thread and b) it didn't hurt. Think what a carriageway cable could do, shredded or no! I've heard stories of people (really, too graphic to post here :eek: :eek: ) hit by breaking cables in poorly maintained yachts... horrific.
I would say you would be a huge amount safer just driving across a field :eek: :)

Hi Artic Hobo........You say it whipped into your thumb, if I was doing the cutting, the wires would ping away fom me, not into me. Perhaps I should drive my Landy into it a few times to take out the tension and it would be safer for all concerned..................Jon

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Jon Pickett said:
Hi Artic Hobo........You say it whipped into your thumb, if I was doing the cutting, the wires would ping away fom me, not into me. Perhaps I should drive my Landy into it a few times to take out the tension and it would be safer for all concerned..................Jon
I'd like to agree with you... trouble is, it will go any which way. It has so much energy in it it'll go far faster than you can even see with your eyes... it's more like a speeded-up snake that anything else, it can go all over the place. I know a story of a broken backstay that smashed two winches before embedding itself deep in (and through) the fibreglass cabin... I think you would definitely be best driving the landy into it, at least then you can only break the landy, not your self :eek: :eek:
How do the fire brigade do it? :confused:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
arctic hobo said:
I'd like to agree with you... trouble is, it will go any which way. It has so much energy in it it'll go far faster than you can even see with your eyes... it's more like a speeded-up snake that anything else, it can go all over the place. I know a story of a broken backstay that smashed two winches before embedding itself deep in (and through) the fibreglass cabin... I think you would definitely be best driving the landy into it, at least then you can only break the landy, not your self :eek: :eek:
How do the fire brigade do it? :confused:

Ok I take your point...........If I am stuck in a queue on a motorway and its snowing real hard (not often down south here) I shall hope that the barriers are the undooable type, and if they are the wire ones I shall use my petrol spinner for keeping my hands warm only, with the exhaust sticking out the window (of course)..............Jon

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I was supprised (but shouldn't have been, I suppose) at the unpreparedness of some of the motorists interviewed for news programmes, Do they not watch the weather forecast?
Other than that, I do much the same as most here, warms, eats, etc. Though I'd like to add extra fuel if you're having to run the engine to keep warm. The other thing would be a pack to take along those items you'd need if you had to leave your vehicle on the carriageway.

ATB

Ogri the trog

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ogri the trog said:
I was supprised (but shouldn't have been, I suppose) at the unpreparedness of some of the motorists interviewed for news programmes, Do they not watch the weather forecast?
Other than that, I do much the same as most here, warms, eats, etc. Though I'd like to add extra fuel if you're having to run the engine to keep warm. The other thing would be a pack to take along those items you'd need if you had to leave your vehicle on the carriageway.

ATB

Ogri the trog

This is true, and what amazed me was that the motorists stuck were blaming everyone else that they were not told about the conditions. How come I was aware of it here in the south east. We all just jump into our cars and expect to get to Z without any probs..............Jon

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Adi Fiddler said:
Well growing up on Exmoor I remember numerous occasions digging my dad’s car. We even went down one hill on the roof of the transit van.

A good car kit is

Tire Chains.
Shovel.
Axe and saw.
Large bag of builder’s sand, the weight adds traction to the rear wheels.
At least four potato, feed or Hessian sacks to but under tyres for traction or to use as insulation.
Road works flashing warning beacon to but on car roof as signal you/car is there.
Tow rope or chain
Fuel
Water
Sleeping bag, a couple of blankets and spear warm clothes suitable to replace your everyday clothes.
Walking boots, something to replace your trainers or office shoes.
Cooker and pan/kettle.
Torch, radio with spear batteries.
Food and tea/coffee.
Whistle.
Road map, OS maps of area, compass.
Big warm hat and some big thick mitts

I have forgot to add a long flexible metal tube to but over the exhaust pipe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE