What watch is on your wrist / What timepiece do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Jerry Ahern, that brings back some memories :)

Sea Dweller rather than a Submariner and I still own a Russell Sting from the early eighties

:D

:D :D

I found them in the loft about 2 years ago and re-read them. What can I say...:rolleyes: :AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin :cool: :D :D
What finish on the Sting?
Plain, Black Chrome or Black Teflon (like what I've got)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Oh dear someone else who read those books:cool: :rolleyes: :D :D

I haven't managed to get a Submariner yet, but I do have a Gerber Mark II and an AG Russell Sting (and it's not the CRKT copy either):cool: :D

Oh and I wear a Seiko SXK007 on a Bond Nato (Lovely) i'd post a pic but haven't sussed it yet

Jerry Ahern, that brings back some memories :)

Sea Dweller rather than a Submariner and I still own a Russell Sting from the early eighties

:D

:D :D

I found them in the loft about 2 years ago and re-read them. What can I say...:rolleyes: :AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin :cool: :D :D
What finish on the Sting?
Plain, Black Chrome or Black Teflon (like what I've got)

Just to really scare you. Not including the one ofs, so just the numbered ones, there are 27 books.

I find it really hard to part with cash for things I will not use, but yes an AG Sting is sat in my Ebay watch list.

But back to subject, just got hold of the Invicta catalog from website, some very nice watches in it. The look for a reasonable price.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm a chrono fan and I need an alarm but find those inset digital faces uggly.
So I have one of these:
SNA141P.jpg

But with a leather strap I made myself.

Exactly the same here ...well almost. Mine has a black face. In fact I have 2, one in stainless steel with a bracelet like this....

DSCN2857.jpg

and one in titanium with a nato strap. Brilliant watches.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
I still wear my late dad's vintage [1967] Rolex GMT Master even though it badly needs a service I suppose I'm used to the weight and anything else feels instubstantial.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm another Jerry Ahern fan (well I was in my youth)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Survivalist
I've got a few toys from the books. I actually fired (and nearly owned) a Detonics Combatmaster back in the early 90's (I did have a colt python though :D)

On topic,
I've got a bit of a thing for Citizen promaster watches. I've got one on my wrist at the moment.
I'd like an Omega Speedmaster chrono though.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
As a watch collector I get to talk to lots of watch owners and repairers.

My watch repairer in Uxbridge Mr Ralph reccomends this one. Its a quratz base in stainless and is good for 100m depth. This is based on what he has to mend and the faults he often finds with them.

AVIA Polar Star 100

Avia is an old make of watch. The Polar 100 is a chrome watch for divers, has big glow in the dark hands, and big markers on the dial you can read it in the dark without your glasses. Its an under £60 watch and you can pick them up on ebay for about £20 if you look. It is VERY strong and will take any abuse including abuse under water. On his recomendation I have used one now for 5 years, it has been to the bottom of the ocean several times, hit with an axe, kicked, eaten or at least chewed by a dog and is still going strong. Been to bush moots and everywhere I can think of.

The watch maker was impressed because its the only one he has never seen destroyed by a man using a road drill and jack hammer. Now that is tough!

Sandsnakes

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As a watch collector I get to talk to lots of watch owners and repairers.

My watch repairer in Uxbridge Mr Ralph reccomends this one. Its a quratz base in stainless and is good for 100m depth. This is based on what he has to mend and the faults he often finds with them.

AVIA Polar Star 100

Avia is an old make of watch. The Polar 100 is a chrome watch for divers, has big glow in the dark hands, and big markers on the dial you can read it in the dark without your glasses. Its an under £60 watch and you can pick them up on ebay for about £20 s
this one is going for less than £12

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm another Jerry Ahern fan (well I was in my youth) I've got a few toys from the books. I actually fired (and nearly owned) a Detonics Combatmaster back in the early 90's (I did have a colt python though :D)

I read somewhere that Mr Ahern liked the Detonics product range so much, he bought the company :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I read somewhere that Mr Ahern liked the Detonics product range so much, he bought the company :D

Jerry Ahern was the president of Detonics USA from 2004 to 2007.
He used to write for "guns and Ammo" a lot too.

On Topic

I'm not a fan of breitling watches, the faces seem to big for me.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I usually wear a Tag Heuer that is boringly reliable, waterproof and survives seawater and neglect. I do like mechanical watches though - they are tiny, precision machines after all.

An 'interesting' mechanical watch is the Soviet Vostok Amphibian - mechanical, genuinely waterproof to 200m, and pretty robust. You can get them used for £15-£20 delivered on ebay. There are a wide variety of different models.

Vostok also made the 'Radio Officer' version, which has the SOS 'silent periods' marked on the quarter hour, as per the international radio regulations.

I already have a Smiths Astral Radio Room clock in my radio shack so I was pleased to find a Vostok Radio Officers watch in a junk shop in Falmouth this summer. It's a bit different.

clock022.jpg

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Mines a £1300 Omega Seamaster that I haven't took off at all in the 2 months I've owned it. I don't care if it gets wrecked- I got it with Tesco clubcard vouchers! It's my first ever decent watch. Keeps much better time than any of my watches before.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I like many types of watch... I just keep Killing them... the only ones I haven't killed yet are my Timex ones : A Timex Expedition Aluminum Trail (Subdued) with a retrofitted US Military green Nylon strap and my newer Timex T Racing Chronograph...

The Expedition was my Bog standard for ten years in the military... I would get other ones along the way but always came back to it coz it was bomb proof... (Literally)...

Cheers Karl

Nonimouse

Sep 17, 2008
Somerset
First Post!

Have a peek at the Lorus Sports Lumibrite. 30 years of breaking watches and never finding the right one then three years ago I tried one of these. Cheap enough to be disposable, tough as hell, good strap and all you need on the face. Battery life is good too. The luminous face has become an essential. Most of my friends now use them even my wife asked for one for Christmas!

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Omega Seamaster, Tag Heuer Monaco or, the one that gets worn the most, a cheap £20 throwaway from the local post office

Dave

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
I've always loved chronos myself, both digital and mechanical. Currently wearing the Tag F-1 digital (standard face with inset digital LCD functions) with a Timex Expedition digital chrono w/ compass.

NJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE