what useless kit have you bought?

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Sometimes kit looks like a good idea in the shop but in reality you have no use for it. Sometimes it is just not fit for purpose. Sometimes you double or quadruple up on kit because a "better" version is released.

itw-nexus-grimlock-3x-set.jpg

I have some of these grimlock carabiner's. seemed like a good idea but really I have no use for them. I often see them on other peoples kit placed there just in case but have nothing attached to them.

what kit have you wasted your money on

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The only use I've found for the "grimlock carabiner" as fitted to my Proteus Versapack is as a point to easily connect my knife's leather lanyard so if it pulls from the sheath it doesn't end up in the undergrowth.

K

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
The only use I've found for the "grimlock carabiner" as fitted to my Proteus Versapack is as a point to easily connect my knife's leather lanyard so if it pulls from the sheath it doesn't end up in the undergrowth.

K

yea and you could probably do the same thing with a short piece of cord and a quick release knot

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
axes000.jpg

I hope I don't upset the original poster of this photo but we all can be guilty of this to some extent. I suffer with painful hands in the cold and I have a large glove collection. but sods law always says I pack the wrong ones. there is always a better pair in the house or worse still in the shop. there is the endless chase for the holy grail of the perfect kit. But as we all know different circumstances dictate and we end up with large collections of very similar kit

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
A cheap sharpening system from ebay, first time using it 1 stone cracked and the other had the glue fail on it and fell off its mounting.

Tonyuk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Once when very strapped for cash i bought some boots from Cotton Traders that were advertised as 'waterproof walking boots'. They leaked on first contact with a puddle and the soles collapsed within a week.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Socks is my biggy!!! I must have spent thousands on all the best socks and all the medium quality socks and all the cheapo surplus socks in the world, and I've never found a single pair of outdoor socks that fit, wash reasonably well and are comfortable in different shoes and boots.

Those that say "to fit sizes 38 to 42" are way too small, and those that are made "to fit sizes 43 to to 46" are like Coco the clown socks. The British Army Arctic socks are great, but they just never fit after the first hour or so of wearing; I've bought all the Bridgedales, Tog 24, Wigwam etc. in all the varieties and weights they make them in...............no cigar!

When I've spoken to people about this in the past the first thing most will say is "you have a problem with cheap/wrong/ill-fitting footwear, but that's not the case; I've always taken good care of my feet and bought well-fitting shoes and boots and I wear the right ones for the conditions. I look after my boots really well and change them often, and buy good insoles.......

Never been able to work it out, and whatever happens I have to keep buying socks and spending on them in the knowledge that they probably ain't gonna do the job! :aargh4:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
One of those survival tin things, Munro rucksack , very uncomfortable, some rope from the £1 shop, that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Socks is my biggy!!! I must have spent thousands on all the best socks and all the medium quality socks and all the cheapo surplus socks in the world, and I've never found a single pair of outdoor socks that fit, wash reasonably well and are comfortable in different shoes and boots.

Those that say "to fit sizes 38 to 42" are way too small, and those that are made "to fit sizes 43 to to 46" are like Coco the clown socks. The British Army Arctic socks are great, but they just never fit after the first hour or so of wearing; I've bought all the Bridgedales, Tog 24, Wigwam etc. in all the varieties and weights they make them in...............no cigar!

When I've spoken to people about this in the past the first thing most will say is "you have a problem with cheap/wrong/ill-fitting footwear, but that's not the case; I've always taken good care of my feet and bought well-fitting shoes and boots and I wear the right ones for the conditions. I look after my boots really well and change them often, and buy good insoles.......

Never been able to work it out, and whatever happens I have to keep buying socks and spending on them in the knowledge that they probably ain't gonna do the job! :aargh4:

these maybe worth a try https://www.jarbon.com/wool-socks/t...zenid=ae97tpmmibeq9osmlo0b8bngo5#.Vv5RSpoUXIU

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Once when very strapped for cash i bought some boots from Cotton Traders that were advertised as 'waterproof walking boots'. They leaked on first contact with a puddle and the soles collapsed within a week.

ironically it is when I try to save money that I have wasted the most. similar to you buying cheap to save often leads to buying rubbish

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Someone gave me a load of those tall thin gas canisters , the ones that fit in the 'suitcase' stoves.
So I bought an adapter to use with my screw on burner head. For cheap read useless, never got it to seal .

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I have some of these grimlock carabiner's. seemed like a good idea but really I have no use for them. I often see them on other peoples kit placed there just in case but have nothing attached to them..."

I have a few grimlocks on my Maxpedition Octa. I use them to secure the zips closed, they work well for that and can be opened and closed by touch which is handy.

P9220017-001.JPG

The most useless thing I ever purchased was a MacPro tower and 30" Apple display. Such a lot of money for something that was faulty from new and never really worked.

On the bushcraft front I once owned a Fallkniven F1 which I thought was pretty useless. :)

Last edited:

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I paid £5 for a piece of wire that you attach to the end of a stick to use as a fork to grill a sausage over a fire. I could have made 6 from an old coat hanger. Besides, who wants to grill one sausage at a time ..... doh!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I know that I have, must of, but can't recall!!
What about the 'just in case' pile?? Garage is full of it on the tool and consumable front!!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Platypus big zip water bladder. One of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time but proved impossible to use in practice, such a bugger to seal up properly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE