What size is your pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What size is your pack?

• Total voters

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well I have just bought myself an Arktis 35lt Patrol sack off Ebay. I only paid £12 with P&P(And the seller is giving me an army issue rollmat aswell bonza!). I'm chuffed to bits. So this will replace my 40lt daysack for my bushcraft & survival events from now on. (my 40lt daysack is blue so wasn't very bushcrafty!:D ).
And my PLCE side pouches will zip onto the patrol sack aswell which is a bonus..

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I had a look at the Berghaus Vulcan when I was in the market to buy a new pack - to tell the truth I wasnt that impressed with the back/strap system. In the end I bought a Karrimor Sabre 75 which is brilliant (I'm still finding pockets in it!) and really comfortable to carry weight in for long distances.

True the back system looks a little basic, but being sized instead of adjustable means there's no creep on the straps and the paddings in the right place, an excellent sac and to be honest the only Berghaus piece of kit i'd be willing to spend my hard earned on :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have a larger pack but my new daypack is this one.

Leather_Bags.jpg

It's about 30 litre

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Large Alice bag. Like the external frame, shape and low height. Plus all those lovely pockets, have altered one to fit crusader mug and nato bottle.
Highlander 33 for short trips but after reading this thread think i will get a 45L bag of some sort, as i like the hammock now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
I had a look at the Berghaus Vulcan when I was in the market to buy a new pack - to tell the truth I wasnt that impressed with the back/strap system. In the end I bought a Karrimor Sabre 75 which is brilliant (I'm still finding pockets in it!) and really comfortable to carry weight in for long distances.

True the back system looks a little basic, but being sized instead of adjustable means there's no creep on the straps and the paddings in the right place, an excellent sac and to be honest the only Berghaus piece of kit i'd be willing to spend my hard earned on :)

the Vulcan has one of the best back systems on the market IMO for carring a lot of weight yes its a fairly fixed back but they do 4 lengths im only gettin rif of mine cause its to big and i dont need the extra GPMG ammo, mortar rounds and 320 radio :eek: :D
if you wnat to carry heavy weights over difficult terrain and still be able to stand upright at the end whith out Phyiso then the Vulcan is your Bergan :swordfigh

on the other hand if you dont want to carry all the platoon extra crap get a 20ltr Daysac:lmao: :lmao: " s.orry Sarge no room ";)

ATB

Duncan

rat pac

Sep 8, 2007
Kingston Surrey
hi
I have a snug pac rocket pac and so far the only problem i have found is that it sits high on the waist but it is good with the side pockets as you can scale down your kit for the summer and at 70 ltrs its big enough for the winter too

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Ditched the 140 odd litre bergen ( had side pouches) and bought a cheap as chips pro action 65 litre ruck with more pockets than i can shake a stick at. Takes all my kit, and still has room.

Damn site more comfortable than the plce bergen was aswell.

Wayland, where do you get your stuff from?? It's damn fine looking

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Well, It's three sacks really.

For longer trips it's my trusty Berghaus Vulcan. Best big rucksack I've ever had. Have had it for 15 years now in all parts of the world and all kinds of weather and terrain. Will probably outlast me.

For weekend trips and/or lightweight camping it's the (here) ubiquitous Karrimor Sabre 45. Sometimes with sidepockets, and sometimes not. Fantastic piece of kit.

For daytrips I almost always carry my 30-35L MacPac Tuatara. This sack isn't made anymore, and it'll be a sad day indeed when I have to retire it. Luckily, that day seems to be far away still, as it's standing up extremely well to all the abuse I'm giving it.

/ Karl

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
for long stuff I have a loew alpine 75lt jobby (lightish weight but bombproof) and for day stuff I have either a 5lt bumbag, a 20lt rucksak or a 35 lt rucksac (and combinations thereof) depending on what I'm doing. Of late I've had to carry a lot of mrs m's stuff as she's still not up to carry heavyweights.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
For long trips I've got a LK70 (with MOLLE upgrade straps)
Most of the time I use a Sabre 45.
on a side note,
I don't use compression sacks with my underblanket/quilt/hammock/net setup.
I've got a drybag with a valve (similar to a thermarest air valve)
everything goes in the drybag, squeeze out the air and you have a small packed size that will conform to the shape of your pack unlike a normal compression sack which is a small hard ball that leaves dead space around it.
Since I started using this method I need a smaller pack as I have less dead space in the pack.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
sabre 35 warmer weather (most of the year over hear now!) 3/4 days, and a 45 plus pockets winter and traveling abroad. As Joe said its not how big it is its what you put in it that counts, you can have a 20 litre with the seams splitting and stuff hanging all over it or you can have a 35 etc etc. Sleeping bag is the biggest bulk bug bear, investing in a good down bag can half your pack size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE