What size is your pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What size is your pack?

• Total voters

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
I have the following:

Shortback PLCE bergen DPM
Karimoor Sabre 45
Berhaus munro 30 ltr 10 years old and still going strong

I think the sabre is ideal, very well made and you can attach plce rocket pouches to it. Two thumbs up from me. If after a smaller day sack I would recommend the Munro these are simple and bomb proof.

sheepdogbob

Sep 14, 2007
I bought a Berghaus Crusader (70lt + 2X 15lt side pouches) in 1984, when we were finally allowed to disregard our '58 Pattern Large Packs (Standing Joke!!); its still used daily as a tool/lunch bag - I must get around to sewing up the broken threads!
The other pack is a 35lt Burghaus Munro as a day pack.

D

Deleted dude 7861

Berghaus Crusader 2 shortback OD with side pockets and a Highlander forces 33 for short trips. My old bergen does make my back sweat though where as the Higlander has padded bits that allow airflow.

blackwolf1

Dec 12, 2007
Auburn,Maine U.S.A.
I'm sort of new to bushcraft,and have been trying to put a good kit together for awhile.
I've finally gotten a ruck that I really like after trying a few, Snugpak's Rocket pak.
It's a good size for me and the olive color is a welcome change from the LOUD colors
I usually find at my local outdoor store {I work near L.L. Bean's retail store}.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I need a multiples option too.
Mostly I use the lightest pack I can. (so I voted for that one)The one that gets most use just now is a tiny little Trespass one, which when full weighs just three pounds :D With the contents I can put up a shelter ...lightweight polythere, space blanket around me for warmth, light a fire, make a cuppa, deal with cuts/ slips/ trips. Phone home, strain water, torch for light, knife, firesteel, mug and spork.......why carry more? That just leaves me feeling 'xhausted.

I do have a selection of lady Berghaus bags too, but the weight is a huge issue with the bag weighing almost as much as the contents :eek:

Going by car is a whole other ballgame :rolleyes: Kitchen sink time then.:eek:

cheers,
Toddy

A

Alfa

I'm using 3 packs ( not at once ofcourse :) )
I have 2 packs from Gehlert, a 25 ltr and a 40 ltr pack. Those are used as daypacks or for short trips.
For longer outings I use my old and trusty Vulcan. Yes, it's big. But also flexible, apart from the main sack, you have 2 sidepockets which one can use together or single.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Thought I'd make my first post here, rather that getting stuck in with something controversial... ;)

I have 3 sacks.

Very small berghaus sack - maybe 5ish litres, plus hydration pouch. Good size for day-pack in good weather.
Medium-sized Golite Jam (38l) - which is a great day-pack for longer walks, possible bad weather etc.. Unfortunately, being allergic to feathers, I need to have a synthetic sleeping bag - which means this isn't big enough for over-nighters :(
Large - Some generic old Millets 70litre job bought 15ish years ago. Starting to show its age, so will be replacing soon. Struggle to get the weight onto my hips properly with this, so not one I really enjoy using.

I'm liking the sound of the Sabre 45 + side pouches that's been mentioned elsewhere in this thread - so looking into that for my next sack...

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
65ltr for my large pack, although new one needed. looking at 80ltr bergen with side pouch.
45 for my small dayer,
15lts for a bits and bobs thing.

U

unamodo

I use a Sabre 35 as a day pack or for a couple of days out in warmer weather and have just bought a Berghaus Vulcan for extended trips and winter excursions.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Sabre 30, 45, Vulcan or PLCE bergen (short back) for day/weekend/longer trips respectively

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If I'm away for only a couple of days and it isn't the dead of winter, a shoulder bag and a wooly blanket.

bag-1.jpg

For longer walks (sometimes very long walks indeed)

A Crux AK47, 47 liter capacity, weighs just over a kilogram, very well thought out but simple design and as tough as nails :)

crux_pack_side_view.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
When I'm feeling like a bit of bushcraft practise and weight training I take my British Arctic rucksack with me. I have my 3x3m DD modified Tarp, my DD hammock, Survival Aids sleeping bag, then my hobo and all the other bits I think I need, but don't end up using.

100_1430.jpg

100_1431.jpg

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
eurohike explorer 65l rucksack for anything where I'm going to be walking any distance.
I use one of the new type army "deployment bags" (basicaly a big black hold-all, with the option of rucksack straps) the rest of the time, as it has extra room that i can use to chuck stuff in nice and quick at the end of a weekend.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I couldn't really answer the poll acurately:confused: .

I use around 5 configurations.

Medium Alice pack w/frame
2x Meduim alice packs attached to large frame.
Olive PLCE Bergen without pockets
Olive PLCE Bergen with pockets

I also often carry a few army Webbing pouches to carry the small stuff sometimes on a belt sometimes in the bag..

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
My pack is a Nessmuk type around 30 But you must remember
I go camping on horseback with packhorse's my pack is just used
to carry Items to my Deer stand

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE