What do you want, you have no need for!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just remembered something to add to this list. A lathe. I got given an old Clarke one a couple of years ago and have not even used it. Found myself buying a bigger better one whilst in the UK last August, seemed rude not to at £90 and it's a beauty. So once I get my workshop set up I shall be installing that in there... and piling stuff up on it thereafter.

Loving that unimog and that sweet little dune buggy 4x4. But RonW's choice tops it for me. Both in real tree Forest cammo please.

It doth pisseth down here right now loving the sound lashing on the tin roof above me. Spending the day colourising some artwork on the PC in photoshop. Perfect Saturday.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
A vintage bottle / can opener the little ones that used to come with. A case of beer had a pointed end for puncturing cans had one on a key ring for years but lost it

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Oh, I could list a lot of things but I've either already had or have (or are burdened with) so many desireable things that I'll have to start over.

To begin with, a long wheel base Land-Rover pick-up. I've seen one but the Land-Rover I had was a SWB station wagon. It should be a 1965 model (series II) in perfectk condition, as long as we wishing. Will settle for a Unimog but there's no where I can think of to use off-road anymore. Might as well wish for a Universal carrier or a half-track, neither of which I much need. I also don't need a Haflinger 4x4 but I was allowed to sit in one once. Fascinating but not all that practical; sold here for a little while around 1970.

I really didn't know the British still wanted guns, just like me. I'd love to be the first on the block to own a CZ in 9.3x62. Never seen one. Owned a couple in minor calibers. Will settle for a No 4 made in the last year of production, which I think may have been 1957 or 1958. I had one but I don't remember which year. Wouldn't mind having another Luger or a Winchester Model 1895. The last one I saw was in the National Army Museum in London, of all places.

I'd love to have a snug cabin up in the hills. That one is actually quite possible, provided it meets with my wife's idea of a suburban retirement cottage within driving distance of a major airport and a good mall. It could happen, though not for about two years (he said with crossed fingers). Might have to settle for a snug tent for a while.

On a more mundane level, I'd like a Crusader mess tin. It's the perfect size for a pre-packaged heat and serve single meal, which is about as good a reason as any, I'd say. But I don't need one because the large half of the nesting mess tins takes one very nicely.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Beautiful hand ax. I once considered buying a double-bitted ax, which would have been something else I don't need but then the hardware store went out of business. However, a few doors away there is a woodworking hobby shop that carries other interesting axes, including broadaxes for squaring up timbers. Can't imagine who they would expect to buy them in the suburbs but the hardware store carried peaveys for rolling logs around.

Most disturbing, however, is the realization that most of the things I already own fall under the classification of things I don't need, which is apparently true since I don't use them. But I've always been like that. I bought my first drawknife when I was in grade school.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
3d printer, want one, don't need one but will buy one :(

I want one of these too, doubt I'll ever get my hands on one though

[video=youtube;qrMzHcziv-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrMzHcziv-4[/video]

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
The US Army had a 4x4 vehicle a long time ago officially called an M274 but also called a mechanical mule that was similiar to a Haflinger but smaller, though it may have had a heavier payload at 1/2 ton. All it was was a flat bed with the engine and drive train underneath, a seat at the left front corner and all the controls and steering wheel hanging out in front. It wasn't exactly a street legal machine but I think it could be driven with the driver standing in front of the vehicle, presumably going the other way. I don't remember if I ever saw one in my three years in the army but it was in service from the 1950s to the 1980s in airborne units. There were over 11,000 made. It seems like I should be able to find one if I wanted one badly enough! A neighbor around the corner, who I think is Vietnamese, has an M151 Jeep.

As I sit here writing this, I'm trying to think of something I really need but don't have and aside from body work, I can't think of a thing. I did just get a e-mail from the Swiss Knife Shop telling me they have 15% off today, so I may think of something.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A Mossberg 500 (pump-action shotgun)

They are okay...but if its going to be lust, I would look to a Benelli Super Nova...much better made, smoother action, more solid lock up. I do prefer the tang safety on the 500, but overall there are better pumps out there now ;)

If you want to go really nuts get a Benelli M3 - a pump and semi auto in one package ...and lots of fun to shoot!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
My father-in-law passed away four or five years ago. He was an engineer, as was his father. They were great accumulators of tools and I received a lot of them when the house was cleaned out. There were some very ancient tools in the lot, things like tiny drawknives, woodwork planes with wooden bodies, very curious folding rulers and a positively wonderful one-man crosscut saw (as well as two chainsaws). There were lots and lots of chisels, rasps, files, drill bits and I don't know what all. I got it all cleaned up (they lived near the water and rust was on lots of it) but have used very little of it since.

I remember walking around with him a year of so before he died. He said he didn't want "us boys" (there was a son, three son-in-laws, and a number of grandsons) to fight over any of his stuff. But there was enough for everyone to have all they wanted with plenty left over that was given away. So I wound up with a lot of stuff I didn't need. To be honest, I went down there with the idea of not really taking much but when it was there in front of us, some of it looked mighty interesting. One of his tool boxes was marked on top in red paint "Damn metric tools." That tells you a lot about my father-in-law, who by the way, was in the Army Air Corps in England in 1944-1945 in a bomber unit.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Had had both guns and this is very good advice, would buy a 26" super nova in the blink of an eye, I'll stick with my benelli Vinci for now!

They are okay...but if its going to be lust, I would look to a Benelli Super Nova...much better made, smoother action, more solid lock up. I do prefer the tang safety on the 500, but overall there are better pumps out there now ;)

If you want to go really nuts get a Benelli M3 - a pump and semi auto in one package ...and lots of fun to shoot!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE