What do you think about this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
I have a dilemma!!

I am interested in buying the canteen in this link

http://www.uscanteen.com/CANTEEN-tp2-1.html

it is a stainless steel US job and i intend to use it with a US army canteen cup as my compact cookset (i'm trying an alternative to the crusader)

The canteen is $30 - however P+P to the UK is quoted at $80???
I have emailed the company and a very helpful lady called Karen replied to my email query thusly....

"Hi Max,

If you would like to make a purchase I can ship via the postal service. Just place the order and I will then credit back the difference between UPS and the postal service. It will take 48-72 hours for the system to allow this credit.

Thanks,
Karen

the upshot of this is that Karen reckons postage will be about $10 on top of the $30 for the canteen.

Does anybody have an opinion on this - am i about to pay $80 postage and never hear from them again. Has anybody dealt with this company before?

maybe it's so much because the lady in the pic comes with it -
if so then i'm happy to pay but if not...........

Any opinions as usual are very much appreciated

Regards
Max

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No experience of the canteen but it's quite common for this to happen with US shipping Max, I've done it quite a few times with lightweight and hammocking gear.

If you think a water bottle is worth $40 then go for it :) You might get stung with import taxes and post office handling charges too mate, I can't remember the thresholds for the tax but I've seen it on the web somewhere recently.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Are buying it because it's stainless steel? I'm sure there are plenty of aluminum ones just as good and more local.

In my opinion it's risky to take the word of Karen based on what theer website clearly showed as very different postage rate.

The downside too is you could end up with the bloke instead of the babe.

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
Yes import charges i hadn't thought of that

thanks
Max
No experience of the canteen but it's quite common for this to happen with US shipping Max, I've done it quite a few times with lightweight and hammocking gear.

If you think a water bottle is worth $40 then go for it :) You might get stung with import taxes and post office handling charges too mate, I can't remember the thresholds for the tax but I've seen it on the web somewhere recently.

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
I do prefer stainless steel to ally

you do have a good point about the bloke though!

Max
Are buying it because it's stainless steel? I'm sure there are plenty of aluminum ones just as good and more local.

In my opinion it's risky to take the word of Karen based on what theer website clearly showed as very different postage rate.

The downside too is you could end up with the bloke instead of the babe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE