What would you have done? - camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Figure this is more of a brain based question rather than bushcraft so stuck it here....

So, it was about 6:45pm today, I was juggling with the idea of going out for a camp tonight.. time was running out to get kit organised, food etc, I checked the weather and its raining from a little after midnight until about 3-4pm tomorrow, but I need to be back prepping for work related stuff by sort of 11am at the latest... I also don't have anywhere really where I can dry a tent out (no bivvy bag yet...), so then I was plagued with 'taking down a tent is **** weather' thoughts...So needless to say, I didn't go.. but it sort of fudged my mood.

Looking ahead, I likely won't have the time until the end of May and even then if I can't get ahead of schedule I might get stuck then...

So yeh, I'm bad company... what would you have done?

I'm going to kick-start my mood back into "grow up and deal with it" mode where I'm not regretting, so anyone who would have also called it off will certainly make me more comfortable with my decision, equally if there are the majority who would have gone for it, it'll make me consider things differently next time... (I'll probably do that anyway....)..

Edit: I'm not averse to camping in the rain, more the time scale in which I had to work in was going to be made a lot more challenging with gear, weather, drying afterwards etc etc

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
For the sake of one night I would have sacked it off too.
If you start the trip rushed and have a relatively early finish time you aren’t going to relax, then add the stress of drying kit etc

Instead of dwelling on it, why not arrange some food and kit so you can just pick up the bag and go next time?

If you have the means start to look for a bivi bag as well so the time pressure is off next time.

The mood will pass

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I second Wildgoose. Pour yourself a drink, sit down, make a grab-bag list for next time. Then get the kit together of course :)

Planning is part of the enjoyment for me - though I don't mind a spur of the moment camp but only if the kit is ready; I hate trying to pull things together last second.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Sometimes it might be a good idea to check how well the bare necessities are in one's mind. A kind of BOB approach.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
:D

Looking at the weather this morning when I got up really put me in a much better mood...its awful!

I think you guys are right. What I need to do is get a few more lightweight dry bags to store kit in... if I use my Dutch Saracen I can fit a world and more in it, but if I use the karrimor 45, I have to be a lot more stringent on what I can take...I also use the bag now and again for various coastal dog walks, as I can chuck a picnic etc in there.. so it's not something I'd leave packed and waiting.

Reactions: wookii

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Look forward to being retired. I remember those times when bad weather came just at the only time when I had free time. Even worse was sitting in a hot classroom when it was beautiful outside with a load of kids who didn't want to be there any mor than I did.

I still have both a rucksack and a campervan ready to go at any moment at all times.

D

Deleted member 56522

I'm going to kick-start my mood back into "grow up and deal with it" mode where I'm not regretting, so anyone who would have also called it off will certainly make me more comfortable with my decision, equally if there are the majority who would have gone for it, it'll make me consider things differently next time... (I'll probably do that anyway....)..
You need to learn how to dry a tent. And, the best way to learn that is to go camping when it is raining. So, pick a rainy weekend, go camping, enjoy yourself and more than likely you'll find a break in the rain when you can pack up dry. So, then pick another damp weekend, very soon, you'll learn the trick of taking down your tent in the dry times between the rain. And ... very occasionally having to dry it, which is simple with modern fabrics.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Figure this is more of a brain based question rather than bushcraft so stuck it here....

So, it was about 6:45pm today, I was juggling with the idea of going out for a camp tonight.. time was running out to get kit organised, food etc, I checked the weather and its raining from a little after midnight until about 3-4pm tomorrow, but I need to be back prepping for work related stuff by sort of 11am at the latest... I also don't have anywhere really where I can dry a tent out (no bivvy bag yet...), so then I was plagued with 'taking down a tent is **** weather' thoughts...So needless to say, I didn't go.. but it sort of fudged my mood.

Looking ahead, I likely won't have the time until the end of May and even then if I can't get ahead of schedule I might get stuck then...

So yeh, I'm bad company... what would you have done?

Edit: I'm not averse to camping in the rain, more the time scale in which I had to work in was going to be made a lot more challenging with gear, weather, drying afterwards etc etc
First of all, pack everything but food, water and stuff you need in the meantime, so that when the opportunity presents itself, you are ready to go in no time at all.

Depending on where you go camping, maybe have a tarp or something that you can put up above your tent as a protective canopy. Easier to dry out that way.

Reactions: swyn and wookii

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I think it's brilliant that there was a chance to even contemplate going camping, I never get a chance to go off and just camp. So personally I would have gone, even if it was brief.

But I agree with Broch, it was not good to rush it, and like many others have said, have a camping grab bag set aside for further potential trips

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
You need to learn how to dry a tent. And, the best way to learn that is to go camping when it is raining. So, pick a rainy weekend, go camping, enjoy yourself and more than likely you'll find a break in the rain when you can pack up dry. So, then pick another damp weekend, very soon, you'll learn the trick of taking down your tent in the dry times between the rain. And ... very occasionally having to dry it, which is simple with modern fabrics.

Appreciate the reply, but I know how to dry a tent... Issue is being able to dry a tent whilst it's raining (which it was from about 3am-1pm) and be back by about 11am in order to get sorted for work which is going to be every day (and night) now until the end of May..

Had it been patchy rain or no rain I'd have gone no hesitation... the issue was a band and a whole lot more sweeping in overnight.

Think I'll leave the saracen semi packed minus sleeping bag (it's down) and some food (dried stuff is good to go). Then it's always there as the option if I've been put with the sabre 45.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I would have gone.

My rucksack is packed and ready to go all the time, so if I get the inkling to go then I just grab it, fill up my waterbottles, throw some food in and go!

I understand what you mean about packing away a wet tent. My solution is to pack away all my kit inside the tent, then collapse the inner and pack it, taking down the outer last and stuffing the outer into the stuff pocket on the back of my rucksack. That way, it isn't packed with the tent inner inside my pack. If theres an opportunity to dry it during the day then I simply put it up over the poles for as long as I can. If there's no opportunity to dry it during the days hike, then it goes up as usual for the night, wet or not.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Reactions: gibson 175

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
People have made some good points. If you pack a non-canvas tent and it is wet and you go home,how many days leeway do you have to dry it. I am sure opinions vary on this.Am I right in thinking canvas can be left for a day packed up wet at home? How long could you leave a nylon or polyester tent. I have researched it all a bit but would be interested to hear of your experiences/thoughts/ideas.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
People have made some good points. If you pack a non-canvas tent and it is wet and you go home,how many days leeway do you have to dry it. I am sure opinions vary on this.Am I right in thinking canvas can be left for a day packed up wet at home? How long could you leave a nylon or polyester tent. I have researched it all a bit but would be interested to hear of your experiences/thoughts/ideas.
A modern poly tent can be left a for a few days without issue, depending on the climate. I've left mine over the weekend packed wet. A few days later I unpacked it and put it up in the garage. It dried in a day. No problem.

I think if you left it tight packed wet for more than a few days, mould will form, especially on the inner. Not good for the longevity of your tent or your health and comfort.

Mould can be cleaned off of course but its just not pleasant when you're out camping is it .......

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
Thanks Van Wild.Really helpful. That means I could pack up a wet tent loosely then drive to another campsite and put it up no problem and do a camping tour even in constant rain... I have been told that you need to get air into it when it is wet; so your system makes sense... Potential Mildew was one of the reasons I decided againgst buying a cotton tent(for car camping). Recently got a BCT Task Force 4 instead..too heavy for hiking though. Had a couple of rainy camps in it but it dried out next day so not had to pack it wet, but after your comments I am not worried about that.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Thanks Van Wild.Really helpful. That means I could pack up a wet tent loosely then drive to another campsite and put it up no problem and do a camping tour even in constant rain... I have been told that you need to get air into it when it is wet; so your system makes sense... Potential Mildew was one of the reasons I decided againgst buying a cotton tent(for car camping). Recently got a BCT Task Force 4 instead..too heavy for hiking though. Had a couple of rainy camps in it but it dried out next day so not had to pack it wet, but after your comments I am not worried about that.
I've done this before, a wet/damp tent isn't really a problem if it's in constant use (car journey/hike from campsite to campsite).

My issue originally was that I wouldn't/don't have an area to dry my tent indoors (garage and such) certainly not until I have finished doing a bit of internal work and I don't really have an appropriate outdoor area, so whilst I could have maybe fudged a bit of a dry up inside, I just felt like it was all pointing the wrong way for a spur of the moment one nighter.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
I've done this before, a wet/damp tent isn't really a problem if it's in constant use (car journey/hike from campsite to campsite).

My issue originally was that I wouldn't/don't have an area to dry my tent indoors (garage and such) certainly not until I have finished doing a bit of internal work and I don't really have an appropriate outdoor area, so whilst I could have maybe fudged a bit of a dry up inside, I just felt like it was all pointing the wrong way for a spur of the moment one nighter.
I would have done the same in your case. By the way I have a good size partially boarded loft.I presume lofts are ok for drying a tent( despite the hassle of getting it up there) assuming there is lots of air flow in the loft?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I live in a block of flats, the only options for me to dry tents and tarps is to hang them over the bath to drip and then drape them over the stair railings in the hallway.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
People make last minute, or ‘spur of the moment’ decisions all the time.
A goodly number manage to misplace or forget a basic item, or
Themselves not truly focused. That’s when serious ‘ threats to life and limb’ show up uninvited and
‘Things go south’ in a unpleasant way.
Somewhere on a nearby mountain,
A highly respected actor from the UK, and ‘experienced’ hiker climber went out in our recent storms. It was a ‘spur of the moment’ choice too. He did not come back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE