Sycamore Spoonage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been quite a while since i carved a spoon, mainly due to ill health with myself and close family members.

So this afternoon i made myself a nice new eating spoon in well seasoned spalted Sycamore, i made it slightly oversized and with a tapered handle for my arthritic hands, the spoon has an off the knife finish.

Tools used were a Polar Puukko 80 and a Ben Orford small hook knife, blank was cut out about three years ago on my bandsaw, time to complete, about 90 minutes including getting tea and biccies.

Now, pass the Codeine as i think i might pay for this later, hands are already swollen, ho hum, as the saying goes, "I have arthritis, but arthritis doesn't have me"

Piccies are not that good as im right by a big window with the sun belting in, which is lovely, but doesnt make for good photos, the pictures make the spoon look quite angular, in reality its nice and smooth with rounded lines all over, will try and get a some better photo's later/early morning when the light is better.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Really nice work and yes arthritus and lupus are a real bark sorry for the pun , my wife suffers but like you she is finding things she can do to keep her hands mobile .
On the note of arthritus have you tried flexiseq , i know there are loads of snake oil type cures that just don't work as over the years we tried them all but i saw len goodman recommend it and said well give it a try i ordered it and we now have it sent all the time from amazon my wife uses it and i also pinch some when my shoulder plays up wear and tear fro mthe building trade but it really does settle the pain and ache down fast , sorry to hi jack but it is great stuff .

Love the spoon and like you my wife loves things with bulky handles

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Not heard of Flexiseq, wont be taking any though as only just got this disease under control with prescription drugs and don't want to upset anything.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautiful work that Mark. If you ever want some seasoned wood, let me know mate. I owe you a favour !

Reactions: Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE