What do you keep in your daybag?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello guys,

I've seen a few 'kit' topics for main rucksacks and they've been very helpful when comparing my own gear to. Curious to know, however, what everyone takes with them in their daybag into the hills/woods/whereever.

I assume the Shelter/Fire/Water/Food (got that the right way round?) rule still applies but in a daybag you'd have to be a lot more conscious of weight and the volume of your kit. What do you take with you, what do you leave at camp/in the car/at home ?

Would you take shelter? A tarp? An emergency bivy/blanket?
Would you still take a full size knife?
Do you still take a FAK?
Do you still take a brew kit?

I quite often go for a wander and so far i've never gotten lost but I wonder how I'd get on if I did! Time to remedy my concerns I think...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
If I have anything sharp, I have a FAK.

My day bag is a Maxp Fatboy Jumbo.
In it, I carry

1. Cold steel pocket Bushman,
2. Folding saw,
3. Secateurs
4. Pocket cooker
5. FAK
6. Ti Mug
7. Match safe
8. Ferro rod
9. String
10. Spoon
11. 2x folding kuska
12. Monocular
13. Notepad/Pencil
14. Waterbottle.
15. Brew kit (tea/hot chocolate)
16. Poncho.
17. Tinder tin.
18. Insect repellant/headnet
19. Folding Trowel.
20. Pocket tissues.

Sounds like a lot, but it's not really.

It's essentially all I need to set up a quick shelter and make a hot cup of something for SWMBO.
:D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
For a day out I take very little.
I always take:
a small SAK-type knife
water bottle
stove (depending on my mood, either gas burner or hobo stove or may make a small fire)
food and brew kit (cup, spoon, billy - that kind of thing)
Tissues and cloth

That's the main bits.
If the weather looks ropey I will take a tarp or shelter of some kind

What else I take will depend on what I intend to do. If I fancy doing a bit of carving I'll take a laplander and a more substantial knife. If I fancy just chilling out and reading a book I'll take a hammock.

Living in the south east I don't have to worry about getting lost. As for preparing for serious injuries...well, realistically it's not going to happen. It could, but then I could get knocked over crossing a road and I don't feel the need to phone the ambulance service just in case. No need to over-prepare. But like I say - I live in the south east; hardly a wilderness...

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
My emergency bivi is a cheap Gelert one,hardly takes up any room in the bottom of a daysac,goodfor sitting in or on if floor's wet.
One of those wee sit mats are good too.

A tarp is always good to have in case of rain and you're in the wids.

FAK can be as simple as a bandana and duct tape,some plasters for small cuts.

Brew kit depends,sometimes a flask will do but it's more satisfying making a brew somehow.

SAK with saw would suffice but always like to have a bushie on the belt.

Compass and map in unfamiliar area.

And always tell someone or leave a note where you're going,even if it's just a stroll near home.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
some lint, three old bus tickets, one water bottle (empty), half a snickers, keys, 3 half read books and puncture repair kit.

:joke:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Below is the tut I carry on a day type 'bushcraft' activity in summer here in NZ...

DSCF0107.jpg

Missing is lunch and water normally in a camel bak....

If I'm not planning on making fire I would leave the folding saw out.

I might also take along a hexi stove and some blocks for a brew...

HTH

John

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
some lint, three old bus tickets, one water bottle (empty), half a snickers, keys, 3 half read books and puncture repair kit.

:joke:

Class!

I can tell you were in the Scouts...

Though you forgot the 6 months old, over ripe and weeping banana.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Would you take shelter? A tarp? An emergency bivy/blanket?
Would you still take a full size knife?
Do you still take a FAK?
Do you still take a brew kit?..."

Hi Highbinder

I usually carry an old Barbour bag, which contains a much newer Lowepro camera bag which contains whatever bits and bobs I may want to carry that day.

gear_bag_004.jpg

I do pack a poncho, a cheap knockoff of a US army one, I usually carry a full size knife, I always carry a FAK and I sometimes have a brew kit, but usually make do with water.

The brew kit would be based around a crusader mug and 58 pattern bottle.

More pics of this setup and many other ideas from others on this thread.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Had a good read of the Response Pak show and tell thread (thanks for that link btw sandbender) but no-one has shown or properly explained how they did their shoulder strap mods.

Could someone be kind enough to explain or show how they did this please?

I've been looking for a new bag of the right dimensions/shape/price for ages now. I think the Response Pak is just what I need but with the addition of a cross-body strap.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Always my full Hobo stove, Peasent knife, hat, paracord and water. What else depends on the plan!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Had a good read of the Response Pak show and tell thread (thanks for that link btw sandbender) but no-one has shown or properly explained how they did their shoulder strap mods.

Could someone be kind enough to explain or show how they did this please?

I've been looking for a new bag of the right dimensions/shape/price for ages now. I think the Response Pak is just what I need but with the addition of a cross-body strap.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Do you have a link for that 'show and tell responce pack' thread?, I searched but couldn't find it anywhere.

EDIT ah found it doh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE