What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The main fault with the classic Coleman "green box" is that the two burners are a fixed distance apart
= you can't run two decent-sized pans side by side. Even with the wind shields folded away, the pans heat unevenly.

So, another Coleman Expedition single petrol burner for $83.00CDN ( approx 52BPS) is about $45 less than in a shop.
Essentially, it's the fuel tank and generator from the classic lantern with a green box stove burner mated to the top.
The sound is music. I'll shape and rivet a wind shield from aluminum sheet.

Reactions: adriatikfan

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The main fault with the classic Coleman "green box" is that the two burners are a fixed distance apart
= you can't run two decent-sized pans side by side. Even with the wind shields folded away, the pans heat unevenly.

So, another Coleman Expedition single petrol burner for $83.00CDN ( approx 52BPS) is about $45 less than in a shop.
Essentially, it's the fuel tank and generator from the classic lantern with a green box stove burner mated to the top.
I was talking about a lamp not a stove. Ray mears has one for his base camp and seems to cope well enough but I guess it's what your preferences are as to what you cook on. Anyway this thread is about what you bought today not how something performs. Sorry that sounds a bit snotty
Not meant to do so.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I guess we all are at some point in life. But we forgive you. I buy the odd expensive bit of kit now and then. But I must admit I'm prouder of my bargain buys. Saving cash on kit allows me to run two 750+cc motorbikes and ride to my hearts content.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor

Sorry I'm tired tonight and didn't realy get the propper gist of what you said. Have just returned read it.apologies abound.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I guess we all are at some point in life. But we forgive you. I buy the odd expensive bit of kit now and then. But I must admit I'm prouder of my bargain buys. Saving cash on kit allows me to run two 750+cc motorbikes and ride to my hearts content.
why thank you! and I totally get the idea of saving so you can spend more wisely like on your bikes! I'm a sports car guy myself but bikes are awesome they are a missile with handle bars!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just what I needed, Another hammock.:angelic2:
20180925_153054.jpg

Ah, but it’s not just any old hammock is it? I have the mid season, it gets a lot of things right.

Today I have bought a new blade for my truly ancient Silky Accel so I can harvest a few Hazel and Blackthorn nob sticks. I used to cut Chestnut for sticks with a Fiskars hook years ago and met up with the old boy today. He said, in his 53 years of cutting Chestnut for the classic bent walking stick, he had no demand for them anymore. The sticks used to be boiled, peeled, bent and then sold to the NHS and private market. The aluminium NHS sticks now prevail and walkers are tending towards trekking poles. A pity really, it messes with the 3yr growing cycle for sticks. Much of our local coppice is grown for timber fencing and sticks, I can see the stick coppices becoming neglected.

Still, there is huge demand for staffs, straight stick, and Blackthorn, so the Silky saw is tool of choice.

Also nabbed a pair of Snugpak Softie trousers for proper winter loungewear, and have been faltering indecisively about a new torch. I don’t need a new torch. I have a lot of torches. Too many torches. But continual googling has weakened my resolve.:unsure:

Olight S1 Mini on the way. 51mm - 2” of 600 max lumen loveliness. :red:

https://www.flashaholics.co.uk/products/olight-s1-mini-baton.html

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
why thank you! and I totally get the idea of saving so you can spend more wisely like on your bikes! I'm a sports car guy myself but bikes are awesome they are a missile with handle bars!
I used to have a red softop mgbgt in the early 80s loved it but couldn't realy afford to run it. Needed work I couldn't afford. Wish I still had it now. But I love my two bikes. I'm into cruisers nowadays. Much more comfortable. My girl racer days are over and I prefer to cruise on my harley lookalike intruder 800 and I have 750 virago for an everyday runabout. It makes me consider minimal gear when bushcrafting as I can't just throw it all in a car boot at the end of a venture. I do wish I could find a space for my Dutch oven on the bike though.!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I used to have a red softop mgbgt in the early 80s loved it but couldn't realy afford to run it. Needed work I couldn't afford. Wish I still had it now. But I love my two bikes. I'm into cruisers nowadays. Much more comfortable. My girl racer days are over and I prefer to cruise on my harley lookalike intruder 800 and I have 750 virago for an everyday runabout. It makes me consider minimal gear when bushcrafting as I can't just throw it all in a car boot at the end of a venture. I do wish I could find a space for my Dutch oven on the bike though.!
Funny I had a 1967 MG-B-GT so me being me, I put a rover V8 in it, it was scary and fast!

Reactions: Billy-o

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You crazy boy snapping turtle.. and I thought I had a crazy streak! Anyway today's buy is two localy raised and produced venison and red wine sausages for tomorrow's cookout by the river.l plan to watch a kingfisher I've discovered . Also bought book on lightweight camping.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
You crazy boy snapping turtle.. and I thought I had a crazy streak! Anyway today's buy is two localy raised and produced venison and red wine sausages for tomorrow's cookout by the river.l plan to watch a kingfisher I've discovered . Also bought book on lightweight camping.
It got worse, I needed more power so ....I got a Porsche....... anyhow got a new pack post a pic morrow!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Some mild steel bars to have a go at some light blacksmithing..
1m length of each:
  • 14mm square
  • 10mm square
  • 6mm round
  • 4mm round
Some neoprene contact adhesive.

Loads of vegetables, some fish and meat, a big bag of pine kernels and another of brazil nuts, some figs and avocados.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'm finding it all but impossible to tell the time on a wristwatch without reading spectacles so something with suitably large indicies had to be found:
Ovi5sCE.jpg

K

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
A nice unexpected present from my Granddaughter.
Opinel 12 'Explore'...I'm not keen on cramming survival type kit onto / into knife handles but this is definitely a usable/handy knife carried as a spare in a Bergan perhaps.

10 cm x 25 mm stainless blade with a good edge. Handle length is 16 cm and a kind of patterned 'grippy' plastic.

There's a stainless locking piece that serves to retain the 45 mm ferro rod that also has a hooked safety type cutting blade at one end, while the other end serves as a lanyard attachment point.
There is a very effective sounding whistle moulded into the end of the plastic handle of the knife

Ordinary Opinels that I own always feel lightweight to me, this one isn't, it's big, hefty, and well made. If it was the only tool I had available when stranded somewhere remote I wouldn't be too worried. ..:thumbsup:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE