What compass do you use and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
What compass do you use and why?
I can navigate fa little from what i learned in the scouts and Duke of Ed. etc. but that was a long time ago and im a little rusty so im looking for a compass and advice on books ,website's etc. to learn from.
Cheers
RB

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I use a Silva Ranger for map work, long range and a Silva Huntsman for bush work. A few years ago I aquired a GPS to make it easier will canoeing in different waters but mainly relie on compasses and maps.
just a thought

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

This may sound weird, but I use a little watch-compass.... :wink: (S.E.R.E.)
It measures 2 x 2 cm. And only shows the directions. When my dad and I walk in Sweden or canoe, we usually just follow the map. :wink: :biggthump

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Silva Ranger 15 (with a clinometer, because that's what the geologists at the Royal School of Mines in London all bought and I got in on a bulk buy).

com_rang15.jpg

One of the best compasses going for outdoor sports. Not as good as Adi's type 54 for taking precision sights, but not far off. Very robust with a dial in declination adjustment for easy use. I trust this like I'd never rely on a GPS !

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I almost always use my Global Suunto Ranger compass (center) or my Silva of the same sort, (not pictured).

256579-CompassNut.jpg

I also like using the old Sportsman forestry compass on the right. Old style reverse cardinal points makes for rapid bearings.

I recommend a ranger style compass for 4 reasons: easy to use, accurate bearings and plotting, declination adjustment, and the mirror is useful for other than compass purposes including signaling and junk in the eye etc.

The matchbox type is great for easy carry and most of the above reasons except the ancillary uses of the mirror.

I do not recommend the Brunton 8099 pictured (far left)...it has been quite unreliable for me at high altitude. Capsule has been replaced 3 times due to huge bubble development at altitude. Also since it is a compass card type instead of a needle a huge bubble prevents rotation of the card making an unusuable compass. I like the design, but reliablity is more important to me. Altitudes of 7000' or greater have ruined this compass every time. I simply do not take it high anymore.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi Schwert. I recognise the compass in the centre though not by name. It's a high end professional (surveying ?) tool with a serious price tag.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion of it ?

Thanks,

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I like the Suunto DP-65 global as well. It is made by Recta. You can adjust the declination which is very important to me.

CompassOnMap.jpg

I also like the gun site style system. I find it easiest to sight with.

Sighting.jpg

At 57 grams it is very light weight for what you get. It works in all 5 magnetic zones on earth so no need to have more than this one for all of your travels. I do like the Ranger style as well but this one is my favorite. I always take a dedicated signal mirror along anyway so shaving and the like are easy with it. Like Schwert said, you cannot use the mirror on this compass for anything but shooting a bearing.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i used to have a recta DP10 similar to the one in bahdog's pic's, but it has the direct sighting prismatic feature similar to the silva compass that adi posted. the DP10 is the swiss army issue compass.recta DP10

i don't know what happened to it, but ihaven't seen it for a couple of years. :(

my main compass at the moment is a recta compass similar to the ranger with the mirror, it has a dry capsule so no need to worry about bubbles.
DS50.jpg

my spare recently got smashed, so i'll be retiring the ranger clone and getting a new frontline compass.

the best value for money compasses have to be these
DS40.jpg

recta again, but the mirror folds out flat to give you an extra long base plate for taking bearings on the map. they used to do a couple one called the scout, and one called the cadet.

both silva and suunto seem to be too expensive for what they are. the swiss made recta compasses are superb quality wise, yet reasonably priced.

if you're thinking of going abroad, many UK bought compasses won't work, due to the variation in the earths magnetic field. recta have a global needle system, a comapass needle on a gimble. which will work all over the world.

cheers, and.

Hogan

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2004
Scotland
rapidboy said:
im looking for a compass and advice on books ,website's etc. to learn from.
http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/
http://www.tracklogs.co.uk/cgi-bin/publ/user.cgi?obj=home&page=cmpfaq
http://www.countrywalkers.co.uk/mapandcompass.html
http://www.chasetrek.org.uk/tutorial/compass.html
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/Army/land%20navigation/sld001.htm
http://smct.armystudyguide.com/Skill_Level_1-AUG2003/lnt10.htm
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/mapcompass3.shtml

I use the Silva Ranger 15TDCL (Declination adjustable and clinometer) sighting compass, just because almost every web site I visited and book I read (including 'Bushcraft' by RM) recommended it.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Alick,

That center compass is a superb instrument made by Brunton. This Pocket Transit is used by geologists and others who need an accurate line etc. It also uses the reverse cardinal points like a forestry compass (notice E is on the W and W is on the E...cool eh?). I do not consider it a great tool for most wilderness activities simply due to its weight and complexity. Accurate, neat and offers a number of other features that make for good fun, angle determinations to figure out tree height etc, great sights, bubble level inclinometer, several ways to get bearing, global needle, armored case...all cool, but unnecessary for most (all) my purposes.

At somewhere around $300 this is not a compass I would recommend to anyone. As an example of superior old technology it is hard to beat though. I love this compass and what it represents, but my Ranger(s), matchbox, or Sportsman compass go with me to the field.

Edited to add....take a look at Adi007's 3rd link above...it is very good at explaining the use of the Brunton compass....nice overall site for navigation too....thanks for posting that :You_Rock_

Here are two other links that cover the Brunton also. The second one is especially good at covering some of the unique operations of the Pocket Transit.

(See Project 1)

http://www.geology.iupui.edu/academics/classes/g303/

http://www.gsu.edu/~wwwgeo/pages/fieldCamp/bruntonCompass.htm

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Bushwacker....well I have been turned around a few times...(quote stolen from someone like Daniel Boone).

I love compasses. I am sort of ashamed to admit that that photo only represents the diversity of my models not the whole sheebang.

I was looking at one made in the UK on BB yesterday....hard to stop thinking about it... :shock:

Over here we have some excellent choices at very good prices. Recta which is a relatively recent arrival along with Suunto who makes Silva branded and Suunto branded ones for US sale, and Silva which makes Nexus or Brunton branded ones for US sale and Brunton which makes Brunton branded ones for US sale gives us confusing but plentiful choices...not even considering the old Leupolds and military ones which can also be found for good prices.

In my view a first compass needs to be from a good reliable brand and be declination adjustable....everything else is gravy. Mirrored ones are just easier to be accurate and semi-self-protecting which is nice. If I did not wear contact lenses, I would consider the matchbox compass to be the ultimate companion. I use the Ranger mirror for eye work so my preference almost always goes to it for field use.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I've got the same suunto mirror compass as in schwerts pic. It is very similar to Alicks silva 15 and I also used mine on my geology course. They are great for everything from general map reading to field mapping which needs to be more accurate. I found out what the clinometer was for at Uni as well but you wont notice it if you don't need it.

The army seem to be the most insistant on accuracy but I never really got my head round mils rather than degrees, I can see the reasons though.

Back to the question the best way to learn RB is practical experience even if it's only taking barings in the street it is so much eaiser to do in a classroom. Get out whenever you can and when you know the way test yourself with a compass and you can be sure of your map reading without getting lost.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
I use a Silva Ranger 15 TDCL, as do most geologists! It does stuff we need with the clino as well as pointing the way.
David

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I use a very similar one to Adi's except it doesn't have the precision sighting mechanism but it also has grad scale marks in both degrees and mils. Brilliant compass that has lasted for years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE