What compass do you use and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I have an older Silva Ranger. They had just switched the compass rose to the current black plastic. My local backpacking shop had just sold me a arctic rated down bag in a pea green color at discount. Nobody wanted something that warm and bright blue or red bags were the in style. So, this quick thinking salesman offered the older, aluminum bezeled compass for $5 along with the bag. The bag lasted 25 years until this past spring. I ceremonially freed the down insulation. Within a day the local bird populations all sported white goosedown and brown sycamore twig tweed nests. The old Silva is still in first rate order. I also have a button compass in my PSK and a Recta World on order.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Schwert, thanks for the observations and the link :biggthump

Chris, love the idea of letting the down loose, so obvious but I'd never heard of it before. :super:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
My compass is a trusty Silva Ranger 3.

592007.jpg

It sits round my neck on it's lanyard with a whistle and It works great !!

I've fancied one of those small watch strap compasses but i'm a bit concerned as to their accuracy :shock:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Anyone know if they do a watch strap for the NATO brass button compass?

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
I've got a common or garden Silva in Mils , needs replacing soon cos there's bits floating in it , must be the needle bearing corroding , must se if I can be sly and swap it for a new one when no one is looking . I have my gps too which , of course is no good for taking a bearing unless you are moving :chill:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
mercury said:
I have my gps too which , of course is no good for taking a bearing unless you are moving :chill:
... unless, thatis, you get one with a built-in digital compass. The Garmin eTrex Vista is one receiver which can do this.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
I use Silva key chain compass. It has nothing, but compass and carbine to link with keys. Very convenient and I used it even during my last trip to Kazakhstan. In general, it is simple, cheap, reliable and looks good. It covered all my requirements, except one occasion. I also have Silva Ranger with mirror, but I bought it mainly as memory about my military service in artillery (it looked like artillery compass, but different scale). I used it only once when I had to find direction of a route in Kazakhstan with good precision. I think my keychain compass could do the job as well, but Ranger gave me good precision quicker. :super:
Regards,

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I have narrowed my choice to the SILVA RANGER ULTRA or the SUUNTO MC-2G GLOBAL NAVIGATOR.
Both are about the same price ,which would you choose?
RB

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Hmmm, tough choice ... I think it would be the Silva for me because I've never had a problem with one.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
From the specs i can see the Suunto has a global needle but no mention of this on the Silva.
Anyone know if the Silva has it?
I don't intend to travel abroad with it but who knows
RB

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
rapidboy said:
From the specs i can see the Suunto has a global needle but no mention of this on the Silva.
Anyone know if the Silva has it?

Answer is NO

"Also, the needle of each compass is counterbalanced for the middle of the magnetic zone where it may be used. "
Silva USA

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE