Wet knees with poncho - what's the secret?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
It has rained almost continuously here for the last 2 weeks. My Christmas break has been nothing but pyjamas, dvds and mince pies. Not that I have an aversion to this you understand, but I'd have liked to do at least something else with my Christmas break. I need to go back to work on Tuesday, so I decided if I wanted to do something out of the house, I'd need to brave the rain.

I wrapped up warm and put on a set of Isotex overtrousers (yes, I know I should get some real goretex ones) and pulled on some wellies. Over all of this I put on my German military surplus poncho and set out for a walk of a couple of miles round my village this evening.

Now, first of all I should say that I enjoyed my walk. I was a little damp at the end of it, but mostly from sweat. However I did notice that the 2 inch gap between the tops of my boots and the bottom of my poncho got soaked, and being reasonably cheap waterproof trousers it was beginning to wet through by the end of my walk. Also since my trousers were tucked into my boots, some (not a lot) moisture was starting to make its way down my boots.

Is there some secret to dry knees when walking in very heavy rain? I thought perhaps if I'd pulled my overtrousers down over my wellies it would create less opportunity for pooling and wetting through. However this would ensure even minimal wading will get your overtrousers filthy.

Some sort of thigh-gaiters seems like it would solve this problem. Does such a product exist? Is there another solution to this problem?

Last edited:

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
What I've done is the cheap plastic ponchos available from discount stores. Cut them up and worn as a skirt almost, using the waistband of my trousers to help hold them up. It runs to just below knees and despite looking a little silly, it was very practical. Hope that helps!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A longer poncho may help... reaching to at least the top of my canvas gaiters...
There used to be a product on the market that was basically gaiters that reach up to the thighs - "Legaiters" or some such name ... not sure if they still exist though...

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
In summer i

In the summer you what?

If I had to hazard a guess it would be something along the lines of

"In summer I cast my mind back wistfully to the follies of youth and realize that truly, by the time you are wise enough to make the most of being young, it has already escaped your grasp. As we venture inexorably toward the doom appointed for us, facing choices where all outcomes are wearisome to the soul, where the dreams of our childhood slowly give way to the regrets of old men, it seems that, in the grand scheme of things wet knees are the least of our problems...."

Or something like that ;)

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I'd recommend a longer poncho, or, even better what's called a 'rain kilt' which are longer than traditional kilts in that they're a fair bit below the knees - you can make or buy them. You'll have maybe seen chaps wearing utility kilts at things like the bushcraft show - it's the same idea. I know there are posh cuben fibre ones around but mines made from a bit of old shower curtain fabric, nothing fancy but works a treat under the nice green wotsit db? Poncho...

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I don't think my poncho is especially short. It is about Welly boot-top length on the front and about ankle length on the back without a pack, which I think is pretty standard. However when walking into any kind of wind it is blown up an inch or 2 and then plastered against my knees. Where do you get longer ponchos?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I've got a not posh DB one which is pretty long and a posh long silnylon one from Intergal which is down to my shoe tops and used to have 'a Gatewood cape' which was very long - almost too long I'm just a snifter over 5'8" and it almost dragged. I'm told the Polish lavvu poncho three holers are the right sort of length but a bit heavy!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Is there some secret to dry knees when walking in very heavy rain?.."

I wear shorts and sandals. :)

If it rains when I'm wearing boots I always carry a couple of strips of plastic that were cut from a rubble bag, I wrap those around my leg puttee syle, pull mysocks half way over the puttee and fold the plastic down over the boot tops.

This has kept the inside of my boots and socks dry in some incredibly heavy downpours.

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I read what you have said, firstly the waterproofs go over the wellies other wise the water will eventually run into your boot! Secondly maybe your leggings are not so water proof as you may think, from what you said it is on both legs, the wet patches and nowhere else.
The upper part of you body was dry, so not the poncho, didn't wade above the top of boot, I think better leggings!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
In the summer you what?

If I had to hazard a guess it would be something along the lines of

"In summer I cast my mind back wistfully to the follies of youth and realize that truly, by the time you are wise enough to make the most of being young, it has already escaped your grasp. As we venture inexorably toward the doom appointed for us, facing choices where all outcomes are wearisome to the soul, where the dreams of our childhood slowly give way to the regrets of old men, it seems that, in the grand scheme of things wet knees are the least of our problems...."

Or something like that ;)

Looks like I got cut off there, I meant to say that in summer I wear shorts cos skin dries quicker than wet rags around your legs.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good chaps or good gaiters are what you need; gaiters are a bit of a faff to get on and off as and when needed, they tend to be a "put it on and leave it" item, but good chaps are light, clip to your belt or trousers in moments, are fully waterproof and great protection against brambles etc., and take up no room in or on a pack.

Whatever way you go, your protective layer has to go outside your boots, otherwise you've made a funnel!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
if I'd pulled my overtrousers down over my wellies it would create less opportunity for pooling and wetting through. However this would ensure even minimal wading will get your overtrousers filthy.

thats how you wear overtrousers dude.....they is s'posed to get dirty an keep yer normal trews clean

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Chaps as mentioned are good, used to use waxed ones when beating in brambles. Keep you protected whilst allowing the nether regions to breathe.
Used to wear a kilt on the hill a fair bit, though heavy when wet it was still warm.
Another way to go is breaches. Wear knee breaches a lot, if the lower legs get wet it's just a case of changing your long socks, also good for crossing burns or cooling the legs by rolling the socks down in hot weather. If you feel brave or have a sense of humour then lederhosen are also an option. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE