Water safety.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
DO NOT DRINK THE WATER ON SITE!!!!!!

I have not long finished a hydrology and human health course, and an environmental earth science course.

much of those courses covered groundwater and the issue of leachates and pollutants.

Water DOES NOT get coloured by the type of rock it flows over.

red or orange water is contaminated - i cant say for certain what with but for goodness sake don't drink it.

Acid mine drainage could be the cause. run off from the motor way is also a problem not to mention pesticides from fields.

filtering and boiling will kill most bugs - however heavy metals will remain in the water. (mercury, selenium, chromium etc)

as said - take your water with you.

andy

ps - macka is my gamer tag. lol.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
DO NOT DRINK THE WATER ON SITE!!!!!!

I have not long finished a hydrology and human health course, and an environmental earth science course.

much of those courses covered groundwater and the issue of leachates and pollutants.

Water DOES NOT get coloured by the type of rock it flows over.

red or orange water is contaminated - i cant say for certain what with but for goodness sake don't drink it.

Acid mine drainage could be the cause. run off from the motor way is also a problem not to mention pesticides from fields.

filtering and boiling will kill most bugs - however heavy metals will remain in the water. (mercury, selenium, chromium etc)

as said - take your water with you.

andy

ps - macka is my gamer tag. lol.

Thanks for that Andy,

On the road beyond the main gate of the Hopetoun Estate, there is a dell with an orange stream, most of the rock exposed there is rusty red (iron oxide?). This eventually runs down about 800mtrs to the foreshore.

This dell is directly below a very old disused quarry...

I'll ask discretely on the estate in the next few days, but it's been like that since I've lived here (20 odd years).

Cheers,

Liam

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thanks for that Andy,

On the road beyond the main gate of the Hopetoun Estate, there is a dell with an orange stream, most of the rock exposed there is rusty red (iron oxide?). This eventually runs down about 800mtrs to the foreshore.

This dell is directly below a very old disused quarry...

I'll ask discretely on the estate in the next few days, but it's been like that since I've lived here (20 odd years).

Cheers,

Liam

the rock is most likely a red sand stone. however if it is the same colour as the water then it may well be that the water has precipitated the junk on the rock.

the will originate from leachates from the quarry. all sorts of nasties could be in it.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
All the big supermarkets have 2 litre bottles from about .20p. These have a sell/use by date, so would they be good to cache ?, i'm thinking of burying a few, at intervals along the canal from Nottingham to Grantham, so when i walk it i don't have to worry about water.

Rob

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
All the big supermarkets have 2 litre bottles from about .20p. These have a sell/use by date, so would they be good to cache ?, i'm thinking of burying a few, at intervals along the canal from Nottingham to Grantham, so when i walk it i don't have to worry about water.

Rob

It'd be perfectly safe if you did this. Burying it will keep it cool and stop algae from forming. Ensure you create an obvious to you marker system so that you can find the bottles again!

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
the red is probably from iron in rocks

That was my first thought.

I've not found much on what was quarried there (iron ore?) which makes me think it was closed a long time ago. It's a smallish fenced off and overgrown quarry.

I'll ask some of the old worthies native to here than ask on the estate itself.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Macka,
You said that the stream running into the pond is "red in some places." Are you in a coal-mining area?

Miyagi, I'm in Fife which, like the Lothians, has hundreds of old mine workings. Many of the streams in the area were rust-red when I was a kid, probably due to rusting girders and various ironmongery in the old pit-workings. The River Ore in particular was coloured in this way, although it has gradually cleared over the decades. There is one stream close by, the bottom of which is red with iron oxide sediment to this day however, ironically called Silverburn, downhill from a coal-mine which closed over 100 years ago.

If you consider that the old mines have filled with water, then that water has to be contaminated with everything that is left in abandoned mines! Not an appetising thought!

Having said that, the man giving this advice has made tea from puddles with dead frogs in it! It all depends on how desperate you are for a brew!

Cheers.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
It'd be perfectly safe if you did this. Burying it will keep it cool and stop algae from forming. Ensure you create an obvious to you marker system so that you can find the bottles again!

Thanks phil, yes, i'd look pretty daft going to that trouble then forgetting where it was !.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE