Warm Case (Graphic, not for squeamish).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
light.png

ScoobySnacks

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2012
Berkshire
Used to work at a deer park, and during the calving season any calves that didn't make it would inevitably be found minus eyes. All corvids were shot on sight but they're tough to shoot!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Used to work at a deer park, and during the calving season any calves that didn't make it would inevitably be found minus eyes. All corvids were shot on sight but they're tough to shoot!

Yep. Go for a walk without a gun and you see loads. Go with a gun and you see nothing.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The corvids would always go for the eyes and tongue.[/QUOTE

'Cause they're soft & juicy........crows & magpies don't have the 'beak power' to tackle adult ungulate hides.(fresh anyway) .........people used to have their eyes pecked out by crows when hung in gibbets, some were still alive.

Last edited:

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Yep. Go for a walk without a gun and you see loads. Go with a gun and you see nothing.

I'm a big fan of corvids, I find their intelligence and behaviour fascinating. They can even count in a rudimentary way - one, more than one. Here's on old trick - three men walk into a wood, two carrying broomsticks and one carrying a gun. The man with the gun hides and the two with sticks leave the wood.

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
I've seen that a few times. Invariably at lambing time you'd find one or two ewes who had problems and lost their eyes to the crows while trying to deliver a breech lamb. Kind of devastating to see a newborn lamb suckling at the teat of a ewe standing there in the middle of the paddock with no eyes.

About the fact you don't see any crows when you're armed - they are one of the most clever birds out there. I've walked outside with a broom and crows will sound an alarm call and all take off, thinking they're looking at a shottie barrel. Smart mofos.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good time for shooting branchers about now Bushwacker. Always an easy way of reducing corvid populations as the hatchlings move out along the branches but can't yet fly. Almost the reason the .410 was invented! Wipe out all the young (including any second clutch) for a couple of years and it'll make a huge dent in the losses. Much easier than decoying the adults.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
You wouldn't believe the amount of empty eggs on our patch of shooting. I shoot them whenever I can, but it isn't easy. As Red said, fun creeping through the trees with a .410.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Great piece of kit. A pub I used to drink in (now closed) had a collection on the wall. Most were cut down even further and were alledgedly seized by a local keeper. I assume they were deactivated.... Had paper shells displayed next to them!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Taking them sub 24" barrels makes them section 1 nowadays. I have section 1 shotguns but, to be honest, the longer barrel gets a bit more out of the .410 cartridge. It still sits nicely in an inside pocket and shortening the barrel doesn't shorten the overall gun much (when folded). Its mostly used for a pocket vermin gun which it does nicely

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
These were displayed as curios, along with rusty bill hooks and other country type items. Would love to find out where it all went when they shut up shop.
Think there was an old .410 walking cane too. Would imagine this would be a section 5 so must have been a deact.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a nice wee toy - The trigger is a pop up under a sliding collet

Walking Stick Gun Trigger by British Red, on Flickr

The political correctness mob don't like them these days - but still legal as part of a collection on a section 2. That one belongs to my buddy. I will have it one day though!

Jun 21, 2012
Australia
Thanks for the pic. I live in Tasmania Australia and have seen crows do this also. If a ewe gets stuck on her side of a night Tasmanian Devils will come in and eat the poor buggers alive. Worst I seen while working as a farm hand was a ewe stuck on her side and devils had eaten one side of her face and bite marks on her udder and back end. Still alive when we found her early the next morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE