War Archer!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just got round to watching that, I can only echo everyone else......amazing

What sort of poundage do we reckon his bow is?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I started watching the vid and had to stop. what a load of twaddle. Back quivers are useless? Um, I used to hunt a lot, you don't run around when hunting, you stalk, slowly and silently. Back quivers work just fine. North American natives used them - sometimes with covers.

The 'fast draw and loose' is very clever, very impressive, but he isn't doing a full draw. Those arrows would not have the momentum to penetrate medium to large game and certainly not heavy clothing (let alone armour).

Anyone who has shot a heavy-poundage bow knows that the biometrics of the human body mean it is easier (for right-handed archer) to draw with the top of the bow canted to the right. Ergo (disregarding mechanics of the release), you need the arrow on the left of the bow.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Although I didn't like the presentation style, there is little doubt that he is a skilled archer.

The composite type bows he is using do not require a full draw in many cases and without closer examination I could not tell whether his need it or not.

As for the side for mounting an arrow, there are certainly conventions amongst European archers which have been followed for many years, indeed I used to teach them myself when I was still qualified to coach.

On the other hand, there are traditions in different parts of the world that fly in the face of everything I was taught, so I would not be so quick to discount other possibilities.

The picture evidence is non conclusive. Artists are not necessarily trained archers or observers and could have simply got it wrong.

As for the video, there could be many out-takes that we will never see that show him getting it completely wrong. That is the nature of edited video.

However, what I have seen is impressive enough to consider trying it out at some point.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The composite type bows he is using do not require a full draw in many cases and without closer examination I could not tell whether his need it or not..
Um - I'm going by the arrow penetration. Those arrows are simply not hitting hard enough to do sod all against a thick-skinned or heavily clothed target.

The reasoning they stated behind the 'arrow on the left' convention is twaddle. Absolute twaddle. It predates the use of sights.

Lets see that guy use a 90lb longbow, drawn to full length. He won't be shooting like he is in that vid.

His skills are very very impressive but they are circus tricks.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I recon he'd take a long bow man, he'd shoot his arrow out the sky and then nail him with 3 before he loosed another yard long shaft :D

Seriously though, I think that the vid was orientated around fighting and he looked like he'd be handy with his bow in an aggressive encounter...

4min 30sec in he's nailing armour, even if it's not the greatest armour he's still doing well

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That didn't stop Chinghis Khan's armies from giving us a good kicking though.
When was that? Sounds like a bit of history that I've not heard about.

I've always wondered why bows didn't become part of central and southern african war. They don't seem to have been used much.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...When was that? Sounds like a bit of history that I've not heard about..."

A common prayer or prayer fragment across much of tenth century Europe was...

"Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"

("Lord save us from the arrows of Hungarians")

Although fired from horseback, still much the same style.

Longbow archery is a different beast I think, more ranged artillery rather than suppressive fire.

:)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Longbow vs this dude?

Assault rifle vs sniper rifle is the first thing that springs to mind

Although I am no more an archery expert than I am an ancient battle commander.....
I know which one i'd send on horseback to harass an enemy's flanks

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've been messing about with my horse bow for a while now but I'm still struggling to make the switch over to arrow on the right side with thumb release......but I'll get there :). Not helped by the fact that my thumb ring was clearly made to fit a giants thumb!!!! Lol :)

Now......clearly I couldn't justify buying a horse just to use my bow on and seeing as my wife wasn't keen on giving me piggy back rides......last week I purchased myself a unicycle :). All I have to do is learn to ride it and it'll be my new "metal horse".......simples ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It is very impressive, but to me comparing that to what the average archer can do is rather like comparing trick shooters with everybody else. I doubt much that the average Horse archer of ancient times was as good as this guy. Comparing it with the long bow at a distance is liking comparing chalk and cheese.

I do think there is more to archery than the techniques that are taught by competition coaches though. I gave up the Archery club I used to belong to because I was fed up of the Olympic coach. I wanted to shoot for the exercise, and to build up a natural and comfortable technique, not for competition. I can only sight the bow with one eye however, as that is all that nature blesses me with.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
When did English Archers go up against Horsebowmen and receive a kicking?

Richard ! organised his marching column very effectively although it was crossbows in this case keeping the Saracen archers at bay. See Battle of Arsuf.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE