War Archer!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I shot longbow for many years both competition and in living history. medieval war arrows are much bigger than arrows used now, bows now being around 40lb draw as compared to plus 100lb used then so arrow shafts were more like 3/4" thick an arrow storm launched at 300yds was still effective as the arrows were not coming down vertically, sharp shooting would be possible at around 100yds . All fletchings were 90deg. To the shaft the cock feather was placed in line with the shaft grain allowing the arrow to flex correctly and the string not to split the shaft.

Not much in the way of armour would stop a war arrow at 100 yds. I used to demonstrate longbow vs crossbow to show rates of fire I could shoot fairly accurately 24 arrows in a minute compared to his 3/4 bolts.

I only know of one guy who shoots a medieval war bow at full poundage properly and that's Simon Stanley. His arrows are horrific looking tools of war.

dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE