War Archer!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Stop what you are doing and enjoy...

[video=youtube;BEG-ly9tQGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk[/video]

Very speedy archery on the run. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a scar on my chest where my bother shot me with an arrow when we were playing around like that as kids.

I ran down the park with this thing waggling out of my ribs and all I could hear was his voice behind me saying, "She's going to tell! " :rolleyes:

Heaven knows what mischief we'd have gotten up to if we'd had decent bows and not just whatever bit of wood and string we could find that would bend.

I had a cousin of sorts who married one of the British olympic archery team and I mind looking at his bows with a kind of shocked scorn, but he said that if you wanted to be accurate then you needed all thos high tech things…..I wish he were still doing archery for I'd send him that link :D

Brilliant to see that Sandbender :D Thank you for the link :cool:
One to pass along :cool:

At the reenactment events there's occasionally a mounted saracen archer, and he is both fast, accurate and has multiple arrows in the air while still controlling the horse he's riding too. It's impressive stuff :)

atb,
M

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Seen a lot of this guys stuff, brilliant nutter!
I think another reason for the arrow being on the left side of the bow in more recent times (ELB times 1400) would have been the weight of the arrow. Would be very awkward for a right handed archer to hold a heavy warbow arrow on the right side of the bow with a horizontal cant.
One day I will make a lighter weight bow that will favor the right arrow pass and have a play at this.

Lars is just amazing at this type of archery. Imagine if he were born with a bow in hand as they were in the past.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...At the reenactment events there's occasionally a mounted saracen archer, and he is both fast, accurate and has multiple arrows in the air while still controlling the horse he's riding too. It's impressive stuff :)..."

There are schools over here where you can learn horseback archery...

[video=youtube;xfPvcUkDqcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfPvcUkDqcI#t=78[/video]

As you can see in the video above she is holding her arrows in her bow hand.

:)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Yer a star.

I saw one of the older videos and suspected that he was shooting the arrow same side. But here he is much more explicit about how to start doing it.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I just posted that very video to another forum and then logged in here for immediate deja vu :)

Yes, phenomenal archery, true martial artistry.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Impressive stuff, thanks for sharing. I often thought that with the demise of practical pistol in this country, that the sport of practical archery might come to the for, & this man could be a world leader in the organisation of it.

Rob

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
It is impressive and he is very good, I wonder if the bow poundage is adequate for "war". As to quivers, how else do you carry arrows except in a quiver or arrow bag on a march? Speed shooting uses up ammunition quickly so re-supply would be essential, transported in bundles, bags or qivers. Ancient images do show quivers mounted on chariots, for example. Do soldiers fire full auto all the time? I think not.

We could shoot twelve aimed, distance, shots a minute from longbows. Far less than he does at short range of course but it was a given that arrows needed to be deployed en masse to have real effect on battlefields long ago.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Worth comparing the effectiveness of the Chinese semi-automatic crossbow with one of the slower loading but heavier Western crossbows. Get stung by the repeating crossbow but killed by the single-shot.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Get stung by the repeating crossbow but killed by the single-shot..."

Well, rather than suppressive fire there is something to be said for making sure that one shot gets exactly where it needs to. :)

[video=youtube;sj41RhIKsi8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj41RhIKsi8[/video]

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
We've just been trying this out in the back garden. Been meaning to since the previous video but this one kicked it into gear.

Tips that seemed to work

set up a target close to the ground 10 feet away.
concentrate on removing splits in the process.

Most important of all.....don't look at what you are doing.

The feel of it all comes much easier when not looking. WildWolf got it easy..... when I covered his eyes.

If not looking and covering eyes sounds like madness.......I suggest trying it out carefully.

What it showed us (see the dominance of visuals creeping in there?) is how little sight is needed to orientate to the target. Not to mention the bow and arrow. You really get the sense of feel back and it becomes a lot more instinctive.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
It is impressive and he is very good, I wonder if the bow poundage is adequate for "war". As to quivers, how else do you carry arrows except in a quiver or arrow bag on a march? Speed shooting uses up ammunition quickly so re-supply would be essential, transported in bundles, bags or qivers. Ancient images do show quivers mounted on chariots, for example. Do soldiers fire full auto all the time? I think not.

We could shoot twelve aimed, distance, shots a minute from longbows. Far less than he does at short range of course but it was a given that arrows needed to be deployed en masse to have real effect on battlefields long ago.

In his previous video he hits the target at 69 metres with 3 arrows in 1.5 seconds. It's at 2:17

[video=youtube;2zGnxeSbb3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE