Wanting rid of me?

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
As luck would have it i may be out that weekend myself currently planning stage, pm me nearer the time and i will give you some details, but im about 50 miles south of Edinburgh
just off the A1 so would'nt be much ot of your way.
ill be going m5/m6 so massively out of my way! :p

but worth it to combine messing about dangling on ropes with some undisturbed coastal camping/fire poking

might have to put swmbo in a b&b mind, the kids are fine with a bit of exposure at height, she isnt! lol

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
gfsgaz how about this, the pic was taken from the spot looking down to the other bay in above pics in other words there's another 200ft down to go must be a good 400ft in total.

flopday005.jpg

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Looks dodgy... glad you didn't attempt it mate. Even if your neighbour does want you gone, we don't! :beerchug:
here here

In that case, there is a technique you can use with just a rope for negotiating steep inclines. It isn't any good for straight down abseiling but is perfect for descending slippery or slidey inclines up to 45 degrees or so. You would need a fixed point at the top though.
ive seen something like that cant recall the name but loop rope round your back and then up through your legs and descend, sure wayland posted about it also.

Take it you got a new camera andy, pics are looking good :) dont blame you for not going down there looks a bit extreme, perhaps there is another route thats easier like shewie says the neighbor might know the way down. be one of them moments where you risk life and limb to get down there to find there is a nice little path round the corner :D

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Somehow i think that when you hit the rocks at the bottom that thing would go bang and so would all your bones there after.Dont think they are designed for landing on sharp sea ravaged rocks after a 200ft roll down hill.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
ive seen something like that cant recall the name but loop rope round your back and then up through your legs and descend, sure wayland posted about it also.

its a non mechanical form of abseilling, and not only does it hurt, a lot! but its dangerous as wotsit thingy majig

unless you are experienced and have harnesses and a figure of 8 or similar descending device, dont abseil down, you will die

also, if you need a rope to get down safely, you will need one to get out safely, its a multipitch climb at least, belaying whilst pegged to a shear face is an interesting experience to say the least! lol and even if not vertical but still needing ropes, youll want a harness and know good prusiking technique.

if a route needs roping, make sure you have someone experienced "showing you the ropes"

sorry to be dramatic, but ive seen people hit the deck from relatively low single pitch sport routes, it hurts them and frightens the hell out of everyone else, as well as spoiling the onlookers day by first aiding the victim/dimebar and carrying them out to ambulances

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Jonajuna, dont think any of us that go down to the beach's here will be attempting to abseil/climb down anything like the last pic i posted in this thread,as you say it would be suicide, its more having some sort of safety rope and a guy who know's what he's doing to set it up, then to get down to a beach via a grassy slope,thats just beyond the no help option for safety, in pic 5 of this thread the slope is steep but not overly so i just didnt want to take the risk with nothing to stop me from slipping and being by myself and no one around for miles,being shown what to do and having a fixed rope of some sort would defo make this possible, if your in to scrambling about on rocks the usual beach we go to here has plenty to offer.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
for sure :) as i say, im a tad meldramatic over it as ive seen the consequence of a combination of kit, enthusiasm and limited knowledge

if you are setting a static line as a safety device, i would suggest that it would be better to make use of a harness and a prussik loop, any other option requires your hands to maintain a grip on the rope, the first thing we do when we slip is put our hands at to the floor, thus letting go of the safety rope.

plus, a 10/11mm rope is really to thin to hold you weight on with your hands, a 20/25mm rope with regular knots is a different kettle of fish and something ive seen set up as a perm fixture on steep approaches to routes

as i say, my apologies for being melodramatic and thus probably patronising, i just like people and dont want to think of someone coming to harm for the sake of a word of advice :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr

The method I've used is the South African Abseil.

It's not designed for vertical faces but gives good security on a slope. The principle feature is that it's run from the middle of the rope so you can recover your rope behind you.

In the case you are looking at I imagine you'd want to leave the rope in place for climbing back out though.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
i love the "observation" that makes it clear, that anything with the "classic" prefix, hurts!

what i dont get with that technique is that if you have a 60(eg)metre climbing rope with you, surely youll have a harness too? so why not just double it up and use through a figure eight on a harness? all the "benefits" non of the pain or risk

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers for the info Wayland(saved to favorites) i also do like the idea of a thick knotted rope for getting down, as luck would have it as i was coming in just now,so was my neighbour, i shouted over to him ''are you trying to kill me'' then explained about not being able to get down, he then preceded to tell me he'd been down loads of times and was expecting to see a marker bhouy for his pots that has washed up on that beach to be infront of his house -returned by me,as he'd asked me to bring it back when we originally discussed the route down. Im now thinking i must be losing it,and that i now must retry,so as not to be beaten!!! must resist for the sake of my kids.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
i love the "observation" that makes it clear, that anything with the "classic" prefix, hurts!

what i dont get with that technique is that if you have a 60(eg)metre climbing rope with you, surely youll have a harness too? so why not just double it up and use through a figure eight on a harness? all the "benefits" non of the pain or risk

It all costs money, a bit of rope doesn't set you back as much! I'll not even tell you what I used to abseil with as a child, you'll have palpitations! :D I thank you for your concern though, but people will make their own mind up and will suffer the consequences if it all goes wrong. Like Wayland says, I only use the classic rope belay when I am going down a slippery slope or loose shale, more as safety line then a descending device. If I wouldn't go down the slope without the rope then I wouldn't try at all, the rope just adds an element of safety. I value my life a bit more than that, but if his neighbour has made it down before without ropes then it can't be all that bad. I think sometimes that photos can make things appear totally different to the reality, I'll wager that slope isn't quite so evil in real life but it does look really bad in the pictures!

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
my harness was £40, my ropes, £130 each

please dont tell me you climb/lower off on polyrope! eeeek! lol

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I will happily take you up on your wager Phill_ue as the picture is pretty much bang on what its like,and it also doesnt show the steeper part on the other side.

Cheers bogman yep its a great spot although you have to go quite a bit inland to find a decent wooded area.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
likewise, when im passing that way, ill shout first, i will even get you down and back up safely and pain free with nice bouncy ropes and a testicular protective sit harness ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Just wondering, no one has suggested....can you get to the beach by walking or scrambling from another beach to the left or right??:dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE