Ventile Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is £110 too much?

• Total voters

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't get5 me wrong, I reckon the tatonka tapes are awesome. Due to the size of the slit compared to the length of tape, I reckon they would be pretty bomb proof. Even if they did start to open up, the weave would stop it quickly and the length of tape would allow for a large hole. Due to the fact that they sit almost flush, they won't snag and cordage or karabiners can be snapped onto them easily. If you can get the stuff, I'd use it.

Edit: re-reading my last post, it gets a bit confusing! iswitched which tarp i was talking about halfway through! Sorry! :D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
1200g for a jacket, tarp, rain cover, groundsheet, stretcher and bivvi bag isn't bad in my book.

Whilst that's all true, they're exclusive of each other, i.e. you can't be wearing it as a poncho to keep the rain off yourself and be using it as a tarp to keep your gear dry, so you will still need other kit for the other purposes.

I've only just ordered a ventile jacket and haven't received it yet, but in a few reviews people have referred to jackets "going like cardboard" when wet. Did you experience this effect with the poncho?

I'm a bit concerned. I stand 5'6" tall in my tallest boots and don't always carry a Bergen, so there's a chance the hem will be dragging in the dirt. There looks to be more than the usual tailoring going on at the hem, so I don't think I can trim it. I think that this may be the ultimate deciding factor as to whether I can buy it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The "extra tailoring" is an extension put on because the prototype was too short originally.

Poncho-Belted.jpg

I'm 5' 10" if that's any help and this last shot is without pack

(Just re-read my post and that could be misunderstood.)

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Is it possible to change your vote on these polls?
I've had a rethink, and I actually think it's pretty good value if the material is as good as it's supposed to be.

Is the poncho still being developed? If so I'd like to put my name down for one, that's assuming I haven't missed the boat.

Cheers, Alan.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Just spotted this again amongst the new posts. I haven't voted yet, and still haven't. My vote would be for maybe - I think it's good value, but can't afford £110 at the moment.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Dave at Hilltrek has got back to me to say that he has got all the bits and peices from Wayland and also his recommendations. He is going through them now and will get back to me this/next week with a full response, a confirmed price and production/delivery times.

LBL

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Right. I think we are at the final stages now :)

I have just heard back from Hilltrek re Wayland's suggested changes.

Yes - the male/female fastenings can be changed so they can be mated properly on each side .

There is an issue with the loops being changed to button-holes however (due to not having the right machine for this job - to make button-holes) so would have outsourced at extra cost if they were to make them themselves. They have asked me though - if anyone can give them the contact details of suppliers of the pre-made button hole strips/rolls. Can someone give this to me? They have also questioned whether this will be strong enough for our use?

If this is not possible (either due to cost or time or whatever) we can keep the existing loops they have designed and, if we like, they can use thinner webbing to reduce the bulk and weight of these. However my preference is that if the loops are not changed for button-holes then you might aswell have the more robust webbing-loops and an over-engineered design so it can 'hold up a marquee in a gale'! However we will have to decide one way or another pretty soon on this one.

They have confirmed final costs to be the same at £115 with their loop design. I will have to wait a while longer to see if I can get costs for the other option with button hole tapes.

So the next and final stages are:
1) Supplier details of pre-made button hole tapes (can someone send this to me please)
2) Confirmation of price for a poncho with this modification from Hilltrek (once they have got the button-hole tape costs)
3) We need to have an agreement on loops or button-holes and go with one design and one price
4) I will need a list of those firmly interested in buying one - this is so we can show the level of interest to Hilltrek and for them to forecast the materials supply, manufacturing and delivery times
5) Then finally - how we are going to cOnduct the group buy - with with myself administering it or setting up some form of deal-direct.

LBL

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'll hold my interest until we find out about modifications. I'm likely to rip out loops and put my own tapes in and I'll probably change the hood anyway so if I'm doing that lot I might just as well make my own.

I'll try to find a supplier for them but I'm starting from scratch, just like they would have to, so we'll see.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
anyone else want to join the list? I see that 30 odd people have registered interest in the poll....c'mon...you know you want to....:D See post #194

LBL
Oetzi
SimonM
Subedarmajor
MikeE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE