Using search!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
After reading a couple of recent threads where a couple of members have had a right dig about certain questions that do the rounds and people not using the search function.

I get a little "oh god here we go again" myself when certain similar questions are asked, but then I choose not to read them.

If newbies or old timers used the search function to answer there questions all the time then probably no one would post because there would be no need to. At the end of the day on BCUK I should think that most questions about most topics would have been asked at some point, so no doubt the answers are all there waiting for us.

I know its tough guys but we were all newbies once asking the same old questions, so lets show a little more patience and consideration.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I agree with you. Most things have been covered here and after six years plus one as a lurker, I've seen them all. But if we all searched, then it would just be a reference site and not a forum. I don't mind the same things covered time and time again, like you, I don't read them. Although saying that, new perspectives and changing views are always found in these threads, so we should check them out now and again, as this can be valuable.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not only that, but since new people are joining all the time and as time goes on we all learn and experience more, so there is collectively more knowledge to go around. So sometimes asking an old question again isn't a bad thing. That said, there is still a place for using search.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I agree with you. Most things have been covered here and after six years plus one as a lurker, I've seen them all. But if we all searched, then it would just be a reference site and not a forum. I don't mind the same things covered time and time again, like you, I don't read them. Although saying that, new perspectives and changing views are always found in these threads, so we should check them out now and again, as this can be valuable.

Not only that, but since new people are joining all the time and as time goes on we all learn and experience more, so there is collectively more knowledge to go around. So sometimes asking an old question again isn't a bad thing. That said, there is still a place for using search.

I agree with both of you, I just think if I was a newbie and I got shot down in flames for not using "search" it would put me off coming back to the site.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I agree with both of you, I just think if I was a newbie and I got shot down in flames for not using "search" it would put me off coming back to the site.

It would definately put me off. It's hard enough making a first post or opening a new thread without being shot down for it. A definately think a little leeway and tolerance is needed, and certainly NOT the aggressive posts you sometimes see.

The Bushcraft/Survival thread recently opened is a case in point. When I saw that I thought "not again!!", but I just ignored it. I thought this thread must have been triggered by that one and just went and read it. The subject has been broached many many times, but I was surprised by some very new and very good answers to the question.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE