*Urgent* Help me chose a sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
So this is urgent because it is 1 am and tomorrow on 9am a car will be waiting for me and I am packing all of my stuff now , I am going in my house in the mountains for 20 day to ski a little and also go out and shoot tons of videos for my youtube channel.
First is the really big sleeping bag ( US military surplus ) which is really big and made for really cold weather (in my area it can go down to -20 celsius at night ) I dont have the 3 part sleeping system so I don't know if this is the one part from it because it is really big , as you see in the pictures , if I take this how can I attach it to my backpack (pictures are down) One backpack I have is russian military surplus and the other is haglofs , Is there a way I can attach this kind of big thing to my backpack ? or I also have the second option , I have this wenger bivy and 100% wool blanket (I don't like the pattern , it is from my grandfather , but who cares as long as it does the job well , am I right? ) so which one should I take ? will this bivy and wool blanket be enough at -20 cold at night ? please help me decide what to do , I have not much time left to decide.

093c7e7831c1.jpg

b239c4d144b0.jpg

454ebc01e351.jpg

1ecb3eac99e3.jpg

43f9d96905c5.jpg

6516892edcf7.jpg

728dff5d6b31.jpg

38037eb44f92.jpg

383c55ba0daa.jpg

37eee36b45bb.jpg

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Big bag and some string to tie to your pack....or better yet take all three, twenty days is a long time

but it is bigger than both of my packs and the russian backpack is mot the most comfortable thing to have on your back with big weight.
I won't be sleeping in my house with this :) I have all comforts in my house but I am planing to make a lot of overnights in the woods...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
not the most comfortable thing to have on your back with big weight

I bet its more comfortable than freezing to death though dude. which could very well happen with a bivvy bag and a blanket at minus 20
If all else fails i'd carry the russian bag on my back and the haglofs on the front.....then order a bigger rucksack for next time :D

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I bet its more comfortable than freezing to death though dude. which could very well happen with a bivvy bag and a blanket at minus 20
If all else fails i'd carry the russian bag on my back and the haglofs on the front.....then order a bigger rucksack for next time :D

I have a large alice pack but I dont have the frame and straps , that would be the one perfect for the job !
I pressed it as much as I could now the only thing what I am thinking about is how to attach it , it is huge.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If it were me i would pack the russian bag then tie a loop in two lengths of string and pass those around the bag (so they run either side of front pocket)
Then put the sleeping bag on top of the pack, using the loops in the string, cinch it down and secure with a simple slip knot

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
If it were me i would pack the russian bag then tie a loop in two lengths of string and pass those around the bag (so they run either side of front pocket)
Then put the sleeping bag on top of the pack, using the loops in the string, cinch it down and secure with a simple slip knot

Well looks like we both think the same :D

1d23c8c6992b.jpg

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Thank you guys ! I am leaving the blanket I won't need it with the bivy + sleeping bag , it is 3:20am and I just finished packing my bushcraft and camping gear and clothing , now all of other clothing and skiing gear to go :( I think someone will be sleeping in the car :) Only problem is that when the driver asks me , hey Nick how much bags do you have and I'll be like kind of 6ish 7 + a gun :D hope he will still take me, if I don't arrive there early than others there won't be place for all of my bags as I see :D

Last edited:

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
This sleeping bag which I show you in the pictures , I looked for it and found out that it is rated up to -30C so I shouldn't have any problems with it up to like -15C yes ?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
This sleeping bag which I show you in the pictures , I looked for it and found out that it is rated up to -30C so I shouldn't have any problems with it up to like -15C yes ?
Often those ratings are based on you sleeping in base layers and inside a tent or under a shelter of some sort.
-30°c will be based on keeping you alive at that temperature for a short ( 4 to 6 hours) period of time.
That's why they add the "extreme" into the temp rating.

I think at -15°C it should keep you comfortable , providing you're fit and have the thermal base layers mentioned above and good ground insulation.

Then again , everyone sleeps different , some people sleep cold and need extra insulation and others don't.

The key factor is a good insulated layer between your sleep system and the floor. Elevation and insulation , so even just filling a couple of bin bags with leaf litter and laying the system on top would help. Or if you have one , a self Inflatable mat should help you keep warm.
Hope it helps

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Often those ratings are based on you sleeping in base layers and inside a tent or under a shelter of some sort.
-30°c will be based on keeping you alive at that temperature for a short ( 4 to 6 hours) period of time.
That's why they add the "extreme" into the temp rating.

I think at -15°C it should keep you comfortable , providing you're fit and have the thermal base layers mentioned above and good ground insulation.

Then again , everyone sleeps different , some people sleep cold and need extra insulation and others don't.

The key factor is a good insulated layer between your sleep system and the floor. Elevation and insulation , so even just filling a couple of bin bags with leaf litter and laying the system on top would help. Or if you have one , a self Inflatable mat should help you keep warm.
Hope it helps

I don't need much I sleep in cold even at home , yesterday was about 7-8c in my room :) I have a foam matt 1cm thick I should get a 2cm one in future but until January I won't have colder than -5c at night so I think I will be not bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
21c582c2c2fb325d780f840e36b73b95.jpg

Well this is all of my gear for tomorrow's overnight , plus food sleeping mat and sleeping bag , if won't go down below 0 C tomorrow , I weighted the sleeping bag and its 5 kg 😐 Is there anything I should ditch ? I think I'll leave the bucksaw and just take the blade and the Laplander , even thought I will have to do a lot of woodwork , I'll save about half kg on that , oh plus the camera to all of this gear.... If you see me in the news tomorrow that means I broke my back 😂

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
That looks about right to me bud.
Some food and a sleep system and you're there...

Depends on how far you're trekking and how heavy the load is but it seems reasonable from where I am...

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I'm in the city , my doggie is in the mountains and I am really afraid to sleep there alone , because of the 2 legged animals 😂 just kidding but it would be better to have him with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE