Reduced Combined Sleeping Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
I love my 3/4 season sleeping bag (oex Roam 400) but its too bulky too take quite often even with the compression straps.

What I was thinking was buying a cheap 10 -15 deg comfort bag and combining it with my existing Snugpak 15 comfort jungle blanket.

What I'm not sure of is what this get me down to around a 5-7 deg comfort sleeping system.

Looking at the pack sizes for this it would be around 1/2 to 2/3 the space taken up in my bag as well as the weight reduction. Cant afford a down bag at the moment.

If there was a bivvy bag in place as well I'm sure this would work but the Snugpak is a big old thing to get into a bivvy anyway.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I’ve just bought a Särmä TST Thermal Cloak, the 67g/m2 off Varusteleka. I’ve been wanting one for a long time, but they were out of stock and I couldn’t justify the cost of a Jerven. It’s incredibly warm, testing it indoors, it’s replaced my winter quilt. The next step is trying it close to home with my Snugpak Elite 2 sleeping bag in the soon to come sub zero temps. I’m pretty confident it will be warm enough. Whilst the combined weight will probably be the same as one sleeping bag that would do the job, the advantage will be not needing the thick heavy jacket that I would normally take- my Snugpak version of the Buffalo jacket, plus it can be used in other ways, such as a waterproof cocoon negating the need for all but a small admin tarp, so very versatile.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I’ve been wanting to hear opinions on these. Jervens being so much. Did you get one in m05?

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I’ve been wanting to hear opinions on these. Jervens being so much. Did you get one in m05?
I got the 67g/m2 insulation that’s in m05 woodland camo, the camo is a tad darker than it appears on their page, which I think is better. Wasn’t sure whether to go for the winter camo which is 50% more insulation value according to them but it was a bit more than I could afford, as it happened though, I had it sent through normal post which was cheaper but longer, and I was away when it Came, so I told Parcel Force to leave it at my local post office. When I picked it up, they didn’t ask for any VAT to be payed, so I actually got it quite a bit cheaper than I was expecting!
Anyway, not tried it outside yet, but I have used it as a bag and as a blanket, both ways kept me warm in a bedroom that was 55°F, although it seemed warmer as a blanket, probably because it’s quite big as a bag. Next is to try it with a Snugpak Elite 3 sleeping bag in 0°C or a bit less.
Unlike the Jerven one, this doesn’t have waterproof zips and there are gaps where the zips join at the corners, though if you wear it as a cape, the zips shouldn’t matter, and anyway, I probably would wear it as a waterproof. Personally I think it helps with the condensation, letting the vapour out- when using it on its own, I haven’t really noticed any. There was a tiny bit when I used it in conjunction with a Chinese down top quilt, but that was because I was way too hot. I’ve also tried it as a cocoon round my hammock, with my head sticking out, that was quite effective. As soon as I try an overnight with it, I’ll update this thread. Overall though, I’m very impressed, I’m thinking to get the one without insulation to use more as a tarp. There seem to be more reviews online about that version.

Reactions: StevieE and Ozmundo

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@StevieE

Roughly one can say that the added weight of two or more layered sleeping bags is approximately as warm as a single one of same weight, age and price level.

But:
If we talk about cheap pure summer sleeping bags the relation between insulation material and other parts of the rucksack is a bit different as in normal sleeping bags. And on top of that the filling fleece in cheap summer sleeping bags is usually not properly sewn together. If you hold them against the sun you usually can see big holes where isn't any insulation material at all, the latest after the first tour in a washing machine.

You have to know that the recommended comfort temperature is generally given under assumption that you wear winter base layers in it. That's also the case if you look at a sleeping bag for hot climates and high summer, because the offers of the maker must be comparable.

But which additional insulation do you need at 16°C if you wear a winter underwear suit? I would probably need no sleeping bag at all at 16° C but just sleep in thick woolen socks and merino wool suit on sleeping mat in a tent.

For the temperature range above the freezing point I recommend you to save your money up for a Snugpak Special Forces 1 sleeping bag and SF bivvy bag. One can always find an improvised way if the needed pocket money isn't there in the right time. But the less sensible it is if we talk about a good night's sleep.

Until you can afford that simply stick with your old bulky sleeping bag!

If you generally don't have a lot of money I highly recommend to get one very good piece of equipment after the other and until you saved up your money for the item use a solution that you can get for free! Don't waste your money!

Reactions: StevieE

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Thank you for the detailed reply Matarius. The cocoon idea is and interesting one to consider. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE