Uncle Rays New Signature Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Me lens ain't big enough Dave :D

I'll get some pics at the weekend outside in the sun :rolleyes: but here's a couple along side my Cegga BR Hunter, which incidentally is available to win here :eek:

DSC02379.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

One from the top, looks a bit chunkier than the SFA which is exactly what I wanted
DSC02381.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
They really can't win at Woodlore can they? They say that including their cut the rrp should be £120. They see this as being too high and take the £25 hit on each axe.
After all, I'm sure the companies that pay most of your wages makes a profit off the goods they sell ;)

I have nothing against Woodlore (or anyone else trying to make a living for that matter) but one point is the markup on an item just being a percentage of its trade price.
Imagine two axes for sale, one costs a fiver from the manufacturer and the other costs fifty quid from the manufacturer, now the weight of them is the same so the postage costs are the same and they don't take any more effort to pack them.
If the retailer multiplies the price they buy them in by two* (figure plucked out of the air) and the cheapo axe now costs a tenner and the fifty quid axe now costs a hundred.
They might not feel that the market will stand that hundred quid price and perhaps drop it to ninety.
Like everyone with a brain, they put what price they think the market will stand on an item.

The retailer still make more profit on the expensive axe for the same work, although they do put more money into the transaction up front.

*I hear that in some retail its closer to two point four which covers the vat also.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ahh! yes.........well....er................I wondered if you'd spot that of course;)
I put it down to the cold weather, being 48, a blokey, 5ft 4" (official) and "having a senior moment"

Seriously; what a dumbo! I would have found it myself, .............well eventually:yelrotflm

cheers Martyn, I think I'll have a go at that:D

all thebest

Steve:eek:

You know you want one. :)

hawkknife02-1.jpg

hawkknife01-1.jpg

forestwalker

You have a point as to the strange effects of a percentage markup. A fixed sum markup has other effects (the 5 quid axe would then cost 25, and the 50 quid one 75). And some of their costs are directly related to the cost of the item; they have to buy the stock and then (hope to) sell it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I emailed Woodlore last night with a slight grumble about the mask, it's such a damn tight fit that I reckon the blade will have cut through the leather in no time.

I've asked them to check the rest of the batch as I don't think it's right.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
That's no minor point Shewie.

Most folks don't have the tooling or experience to do running repairs or make an outright replacement, and the mask is fundamental in safe transport and then use of the axe.

Is the mask stamped or otherwise branded with the Woodlore logo ?

If not I wonder if perhaps the standard mask from the Scandinavian Forest Axe has been re-purposed for the slightly larger head ?

This is NOT a bashing exercise - just me thinking out loud and hypothesizing about some possible/likely explanations.

How do you find its heft by comparison to other similarly sized GB models ?

I really am curious about whether this is, in fact, significantly different in performance.

I am also feeling for those who bought the SFA over the years which, until now, has always been spun as THE axe to have if you are serious about bushcraft. I wonder if this new axe now makes the SFA redundant by comparison ?

Hard to offer THE axe for such a long time and then trump it, but continue to offer the original as well.

Roll up, roll up - buy the single best axe for bushcraft here...

.... or ...

Roll up, roll up, buy the even better single best axe for bushcraft here...

Again, this isn't bashing - I'm genuinely curious to see how this all pans out and I rather suspect the descriptions and marketing of the SFA will change over the next couple of weeks, if they haven't already. The above sarcasm is aimed at marketing and marketeers in general and is not meant to be specific to Woodlore or Woodlore's customers.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm going to stick my neck out on a limb and say that it isn't hand forged (hammer and anvil) - the hammer marks are wrong; unless of course they're using a wide cross pein with considerable accuracy.

Surely if the head is the same weight as the Scandi - they would just use the scandi head - or are they different?

folk seem to be forgetting that you ALWAYS pay more for a branded product.
for example - my heavy wool coat - £80 -= TK maxx

slap ferrari on the very same coat - £400

it has been pointed out by several people

If you aren't happy paying that - don't buy one. END OF!

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's no minor point Shewie.

Most folks don't have the tooling or experience to do running repairs or make an outright replacement, and the mask is fundamental in safe transport and then use of the axe.

Is the mask stamped or otherwise branded with the Woodlore logo ?

No it's just plain

If not I wonder if perhaps the standard mask from the Scandinavian Forest Axe has been re-purposed for the slightly larger head ?

I must admit that's exactly what I thought

How do you find its heft by comparison to other similarly sized GB models ?

It's my first GB so can't really compare to the others sorry

I hope they come back to me with a decent reply because it's certainly going to get dangerous after a while.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just had a nice reply to my email from the Woodlore team, they are sending me out a second mask to try and they have also raised my concern with Gransfors.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Just had a nice reply to my email from the Woodlore team, they are sending me out a second mask to try and they have also raised my concern with Gransfors.

That's very reassuring customer service - perhaps yours was a one-off problem and the others might not be subject to this issue anyway.

If I took a couple of photos with various measurements of my Scandinavian Forest Axe would you be willing to do the same with yours to do a like-for-like comparison ?

Like I've said - I am very interested in finding out what makes this one tick.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's very reassuring customer service - perhaps yours was a one-off problem and the others might not be subject to this issue anyway.

If I took a couple of photos with various measurements of my Scandinavian Forest Axe would you be willing to do the same with yours to do a like-for-like comparison ?

Like I've said - I am very interested in finding out what makes this one tick.

Yeah no problem mate

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As much as folks knock Woodlore their customer service is second to none.

The time when I had a delivery go wrong they've not quibbled and sent out a replacement right away

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm going to stick my neck out on a limb and say that it isn't hand forged (hammer and anvil) - the hammer marks are wrong; unless of course they're using a wide cross pein with considerable accuracy.

I assume you are referring to this pic....

DSC02380.jpg

Actually, I'd say those marks prove it was hand forged and not pressed using dies. Yes, the marks are almost certainly left by a power hammer. But that doesnt mean it's not hand forged. Very many custom smiths use power hammers for the labour intensive parts of the forging process and none says their stuff is not hand forged. It goes back to what Robin said really. One thing you can tell from those marks, is that the bit was drawn out with a hammer rather than pressed out on a die. Other axes in the gransfors lineup which are forged with dies dont have them.

Look at this video...

[video=youtube;dbCpDsxUHVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbCpDsxUHVc&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

A power hammer was used to draw out the steel and would have left similar marks. Would you call that axe hand forged or not?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE