Uncle Rays New Signature Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Well this thread has had a positive marketing effect... I've just ordered a Cold Steel Hawk.
chop.gif

I'm sure you'll love it mate, it's right down your street. I ordered a second about a week after the first arrived, you can just have so much fun with these things. :D

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
OK, my GB Scandinavian Forest Axe, 25 and 1/2" overall length:

sfc-1.jpg

Three measurements from the edge of the bit to the poll:

sfc-2.jpg

Six width/thickness measurements taken:

* 1/2" back from the edge
* 1" in front of the eye
* at the front, widest point and back of the eye
* at the butt

sfc-3.jpg

My apologies for the crudity of the images, but they should serve to give a good basis for comparison against Shewie's new axe.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Martyn - I meant hand forged as in hammer, tongs, anvil which is what I assumed to mean HAND forged. semantics.
It has been done using a power hammer, that is obvious enough. yes by hand - I do not deny the skill there. - I thought I had made that clear enough.

I have no wish to enter some kind of petty argument over the definition of hand forged.

Andy

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Martyn - I meant hand forged as in hammer, tongs, anvil which is what I assumed to mean HAND forged. semantics.
It has been done using a power hammer, that is obvious enough. yes by hand - I do not deny the skill there. - I thought I had made that clear enough.

I have no wish to enter some kind of petty argument over the definition of hand forged.

Andy

It's not petty Andy, people are arguing about exactly this on knife forums all over the internet and probably always will. When is a handmade knife not a handmade knife? Does using an electric drill and a grinder mean it's machine made etc. It's what Robin was alluding to in his earlier post. Purists would certainly argue that to call an item hand forged, then everything should be done by hand hammer and anvil. On the other hand, does the addition of a power hammer for a few labour intensive steps, negate the hand made element? Maybe it does, I dunno. Most professional bladesmiths, whether it's knives or axes or whatever, use some kind of machinery and almost all damascus is made on power hammers - though there are some died-in-the-wool purists who make it entirely by hand - though they charge an arm and a leg for it. :D

Horses for courses. It's arguing over labels as you say. I would think that Shewies axe has been made using a process similar to that shown in the last vid, rather than using the larger power press and die method, whatever you want to call it, you just have to decide for yourself if the process is worth £95 quid. :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Camera batts are on charge at the minute Xunil but I've got some measurements for you ....

OK, my GB Scandinavian Forest Axe, 25 and 1/2" overall length:

sfc-1.jpg

RM Wilderness - 24" over length

Three measurements from the edge of the bit to the poll:

sfc-2.jpg

RM - 6", 6 and 1/8th" & 6"

Six width/thickness measurements taken:

* 1/2" back from the edge
* 1" in front of the eye
* at the front, widest point and back of the eye
* at the butt

sfc-3.jpg

RM -

* 6mm
* 10mm
* 22mm, * 30mm, * back of eye is widest point so again 30mm
* 21mm

Hope that helps mate

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Blimey !

Thanks for the dimensions Shewie.

I've just done an old money to new money conversion and basically we are looking at (figures are rounded off for simplicity):

Mine: 4mm 8mm 16mm 25mm 24mm 19mm
Yours: 6mm 10mm 22mm 30mm 30mm 21mm

That's a massive difference in thickness (and weight) and a slight difference in the edge to poll sizes.

Wow !

I'm going to have a think about that a little to digest it. Like others have already said I wouldn't want to cart that around on my back for any distance by comparison to my ScFA but I can see the potential for a lot of extra power to the cut. Why you would need that on an axe of this size is another (quite fundamental) question, and I wonder how it will handle carving given its extra bulk and weight, but you've given me a lot to consider.

Hmmm..........

Thanks again

:)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Horses for courses. It's arguing over labels as you say. I would think that Shewies axe has been made using a process similar to that shown in the last vid, rather than using the larger power press and die method, whatever you want to call it, you just have to decide for yourself if the process is worth £95 quid. :)

Fair enough Martyn. I think you are right about that.
Andy

edit: those dimensions are really quite interesting. I think we need a side by side review ;) I volunteer.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In his book "Outdoor Survival Handbook" Ray champions the Woodlore knife, a Golok machete, a folding saw - and a Tomahawk.......

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
There's no way i would ever pay that much, i like the small forest axe, it fits perfectly into my bag.....and i don't want any more weight. He's just conjured up an idea to make loads of money
Thanks
Ste

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
In his book "Outdoor Survival Handbook" Ray champions the Woodlore knife, a Golok machete, a folding saw - and a Tomahawk.......

In "The Survival Handbook" he recommends an Estwing tomahawk, a Sandvic folding saw and a Wilkinson Sword survival knife!

:D

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ahhh, but a made-in-Taiwan, drop forged tomahawk isnt spendy enough for him these days.

I bet he uses one on the QT though. :D

He did before he got onto GB's.

They showed his hawk axe when I was on the camp craft course last year. Sweet little thing and the leatherwork wasn't to be sniffed at either

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
I think he used a hawk on one of his more recent series. Looked a nice wee thing, though no hammer.

It was the Northern Wilderness .
[video=youtube;5F1to4hQeyc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1to4hQeyc&feature=related[/video]

At about 7:30 is one instance .

Cheers , Trev .

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I do not need to buy another axe.....

It does look nice though... specially if it's good at splitting, takes down trees with ease & is not that heavy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE