Uncle Rays New Signature Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Didn't they say the same about the Outdoor axe too ? That's available elsewhere for a lot cheaper than RMs site.

I quite like the look of the new one, can't quite tell if it's much different to the SFA though.

I hope Scorpio and Cegga get their acts together as my fingers have been getting itchy lately.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
were getting there! :D
that would be interesting to compare with a small forest axe and a scandinavian axe. there might be a reason there isnt a midpoint because its too big for some things and too small for others, or it could be the perfect all round axe. i dont like how he has dumped an extra £30 on the price because of his name on it though, and i doubt it will be different enough from the other two to actually be worth another £30...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hope the blade is a bit more obtuse than the Scandinavian but I'm not sure about that looking at the profile in pictures. The long helve is a plus - I posted this a few hours ago

The length of helve on the Scandinavian is more to my taste for something I can lug about when serious work is required (torque and all that),

Its only 4cm shorter than a Scandinavian. I hope its more of a "boys axe" (scaled down felling axe) than a limbing axe like the Scandinavian.

Heck, good on the man either way. Wouldn't we all want to design an axe that's "just right"?

Oh yeah :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can anyone remind me what the GB branded version of Rays Outdoor axe is called, the name escapes me right now.

I was going to compare the prices of each and see what kind of markup RM has added.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
mmm the price seems to be a little O.T.T if you ask me. just have to wait and see if someone on the forum gets one and does a review on it. At the the end of the day it's horses for coarses, but the prices seems steep, i think your just paying for the name

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
if anyone finds this axe without RM branding please post it, im sure it will be a lot cheaper.
however, i am tempted by it, i have a £100 gap in my christmas presents for this year... it needs to be tested...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
if anyone finds this axe without RM branding please post it, im sure it will be a lot cheaper.
however, i am tempted by it, i have a £100 gap in my christmas presents for this year... it needs to be tested...

I don't think you will find it without his branding.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I have an axe..it works fine even without the name Ray Mears on it haha. I wonder if the people who use them dialy in their work would plum for this one. Isnt this what in computer software is termed "bloatware" ?

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
i use my GB forest axe and maul on a regular basis, but i would say i use my GB hunters hatchet the most, nearly daily to bash in felling wedges. I beleave you pay for what you get sometimes and the GB brade has not let me down yet...touch wood lol

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
its handle is only 4 cm shorter than the scandinavian axe and it weighs the same... so the head is pretty much the same, and the handle is the same but for 4 cm, but its £35 more...

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I thought long and hard about whether there was a need to design a new axe; I was asked to do so elsewhere a long time ago, and at first I thought there wasn’t. But I’ve thought very hard about it for a long time, and I felt there was something that could be done.
seems a little 'off the cuff' to me....may be he could have spent a while in deep thought just to be sure he was thinking long enough...;)
for some reason i keep comming up with 42...any one know what the question is?

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
To me this Axe is spot on I cant get on with with the small forest axe but love my Scandiavian forest axe this ones the best of both worlds :) , works for me
Twodogs

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The same was said about the Outdoor axe Jon but it is out there ...

http://www.naturkompaniet.se/Product/Product.aspx?id=71770

No, the Outdoor axe was only exclusive to Woodlore in the UK. It wasn't associated with RM in any other way apart from that, Lars Falt designed that one.....

"The Gransfors Outdoor Axe is the newest and lightest addition to our range of Gransfors Axes, and Woodlore are excited to be the only shop in the UK to stock this new tool."

This beasty is something different and exclusive to Woodlore only Worldwide. I'm sure that RM will make quite sure of that as he had input in designing it.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No, the Outdoor axe was only exclusive to Woodlore in the UK. It wasn't associated with RM in any other way apart from that, Lars Falt designed that one.....

"The Gransfors Outdoor Axe is the newest and lightest addition to our range of Gransfors Axes, and Woodlore are excited to be the only shop in the UK to stock this new tool."

This beasty is something different and exclusive to Woodlore only Worldwide. I'm sure that RM will make quite sure of that as he had input in designing it.

You've got a good point there Jon

I think I'm gonna go for one, sounds like just what I've been after.

Does anyone have a photo of their SFA blade from the top I could compare it with ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE