UCO lanterns?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Just bought two UCO's in the classifieds. I love the concept but what is the point in them.
Tried them outside. They don't really seem to put out much light. You couldn't really read by it or do any tasks with it so what is the point?
Thanks
Jacob

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just bought two UCO's in the classifieds. I love the concept but what is the point in them.
Tried them outside. They don't really seem to put out much light. You couldn't really read by it or do any tasks with it so what is the point?
Thanks
Jacob

I find them great in a shelter, the reflector add on is worth the extra £5. Get expensive to run (full size one) but i love them. I was gutted when you beat me to the trade :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

They're candles... they emit light... maybe not as much as a battery powered torch but plenty ample to see things in your camp.

I use one and have no trouble at all doing things by their light. You just have to let your eyes adjust to the level of light that they give out.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
They're candles... they emit light... maybe not as much as a battery powered torch but plenty ample to see things in your camp.

I use one and have no trouble at all doing things by their light. You just have to let your eyes adjust to the level of light that they give out.

THanks, thats good to know. Ill try them out when i go out next.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought one recently to use in the lavvu, like Steve says, once you get accustomed to the light you can do plenty of tasks. Reading is hard work unless you have it next to your head but general setting up and moving stuff about is okay.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Candle light is a quaint old-fashioned lighting method. Bit like bow-drill firelighing or using natural tinder or cooking over an open fire (for Westerners at least) or feel free to put further illustrations of 'pointless' bushcrafting.
A.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE