UCO lanterns?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have the Standard UCO Candle lantern & I love it.
I have the LED Base Add-on, the Flat Pack Reflector Add-on & the Neoprene Cocoon.

The Reflector makes a huge difference, normally there is a large shadow directly below the Lantern when it is hung(Think about it the candle itself will cause a shadow below it), adding the Flat Pack Reflector reduces this dramatically, it makes reading in a tent or in a hammock under a tarp much easier, as I mentioned above I also have the LED Base for my Lantern which is great, I actually prefer this for reading, it can come off and work as an independent Light it has a stand as well and can also function as a headlamp provided you have a strap, it simply replaces the base that comes with the lantern so it takes up no real extra room, honestly it seems silly not to have it.

So if your in the market buy a UCO Candle Lantern go for the one with the LED base, I got mine from thebushcraftstore.co.uk and it came with a nice fleece bag and a pack of 3 9 hour candles, which do actually last for at least 9 Hours.

I have the Neoprene Cocoon for it as well, while it does offer some protection it is more of a luxury than a necessity, if I had to choose between the Flat Pack Reflector or the Neoprene cover, The Reflector wins every time, it makes the lantern much more useful.
There are plenty of good reviews on Amazon.co.uk about both of these, and although I don't own the side reflector the majority of reviews I have read said it was a waste of money and added very little benefit, in fact one review I read said he had more success putting the UCO Candle Lantern in a cut open Beer Can than getting any benefit from the side Reflector..

Hope this Helps

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
you can get neoprene camera lens cases at the pound shop which will bit big and mini versions. Look for them with the camera cases. I find the reflector ok but ill bet a cut open can would indeed be good. Pair of scissors or a knife and away you go

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for all the input guys. Im just wondering about the micro lantern. IS the glass meant to slide down like on the big one or not. Because for me it doesnt. So im just wondering how to light it.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
mylavvusetup008.jpg

mysetupnight2.jpg

007lilleaklugen30.jpg

dsc04057s.jpg

Love mine. :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2012
essex
Just bought two UCO's in the classifieds. I love the concept but what is the point in them.
Tried them outside. They don't really seem to put out much light. You couldn't really read by it or do any tasks with it so what is the point?
Thanks
Jacob

i got one, not a uco one but very like it. I use it in a tent for a bit of light, make enough when really dark to see what your doing, i dont read by it. find it good. will dig a pic out.
P6130239.jpg

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Aha I see the difference now
I genuinely wild camp (That tent and associated frivolity must weigh a bit)
not car camp
The aluminum stay broke with use. Still works but superseded

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Aha I see the difference now
I genuinely wild camp (That tent and associated frivolity must weigh a bit)
not car camp
The aluminum stay broke with use. Still works but superseded

Although the first two pics are taken whilst car camping, the other two....

Wild camping in Nordmarka, Norway:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89108&highlight=Norway+trip

007lilleaklugen30.jpg

Wild Camping Telemark Trail, Norway:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60699&highlight=Telemark+History

dsc04057s.jpg

That genuine enough for you?:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE