Trench Candles for the UCO and Swiss Army folding lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
1683739044607-png.80091

I've made some more trench candles as an alternative to using wax candles in either the UCO lantern or Swiss Army candle lantern.
I have two sizes, one to fit the UCO lantern and one for the Swiss army folding lantern.

The wicks for them are a braided cotton lantern wick and the flame height can be adjusted either by pulling the wick into its tube or teasing it out with a needle.

They run on paraffin (kerosene) and take approximately 35ml per fill. Burn time is roughly 8 hours for the folding lantern insert and over 10 hours for the UCO insert. Note that the burn times are an approximate as it depends on how high a flame you set them at.

The Swiss army version fits the Stonebridge lantern but will require its height reducing slightly as the lantern is shorter than the Swiss army one. This can easily be done by yourself with a pipe cutter or a hacksaw.

The UCO candle will fit in the holder with the spring but if you find that fiddly you can remove the spring and insert four 2p coins under the base that fits on the spring. This will then snug the candle into the holder quite nicely. That way if you want to use the lantern with candles on occasion you still can by just refitting the spring.

The important thing to note is they are not suitable for transporting paraffin. You will need to empty them of any fuel before you pack them away to prevent any accidental spills.

PRICES
UCO lantern version £15.00
Swiss Army lantern version £13.00
Postage and packaging is 2nd class Royal Mail, £2.80 for 1 candle, £3.20 for 2 or more to the UK only.
For overseas postage please contact me.

There's also a video on the the UCO version made by a customer. You can watch it

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd like two of the UCO sized ones please. If you let me have details I'll take care of the money asap. These are a great idea and I'll look forward to using them during our many power cuts.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Two trench candles arrived just now, will be tested later this evening; I'll do a review in a few days after playing with them. Thank you very much!

Kenneth

Jul 27, 2018
Texas
@Mesquite do you have any Swiss trench candles left? I am interested in buying two and I live in Katy, Texas USA.

GOD Bless you and your family

Kenneth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE