BUSHLITE Candle Lantern shout out

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
So which on came first; UCO or Bushlite?

PS. Foud it myself.

The Bushlite candle lantern – An African original since 1998.

UCO: Committed to Quality, our Aluminum Candle Lanterns have been made since the 1970's.
 
I just found one of these things on fleabay complete with a natty little Bushlite branded carrying case, and yes for princely sum of £13 delivered I just had to get it to do my own comparisons with my existing brass UCO, now sporting a more economical oil candle.
 
I have both an aluminium one and a brass one, as well as several UCO's and a couple of Firefly lanterns.

Generally, Uco's no longer get a look in as the Bushlites are much brighter and can be run off "standard" or stearin or beeswax 7/8inch candles and fire fly lanterns are also equally good and run off 40mm pillar candles.
 
I have both an aluminium one and a brass one, as well as several UCO's and a couple of Firefly lanterns.

Generally, Uco's no longer get a look in as the Bushlites are much brighter and can be run off "standard" or stearin or beeswax 7/8inch candles and fire fly lanterns are also equally good and run off 40mm pillar candles.
Firefly? I am unfamiliar

As regards the UCO I believe the UCO is a less well made rough copy of an older candle powered Alpine lantern, the name of which escapes me but I have seen an image of to make such remarks about ' rough copy '

My UCO (Brass) given the cost of the candles is running on oil.

And talking of stuff running on oil I have made up wick holders for shoving in glass jars to gain lighting from cooking oil
 
Firefly? I am unfamiliar

As regards the UCO I believe the UCO is a less well made rough copy of an older candle powered Alpine lantern, the name of which escapes me but I have seen an image of to make such remarks about ' rough copy '

My UCO (Brass) given the cost of the candles is running on oil.

And talking of stuff running on oil I have made up wick holders for shoving in glass jars to gain lighting from cooking oil
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260911_093832.jpg
    IMG_20260911_093832.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 9
I did a search for them. Couldn't see them online.
Have you got a link? Ta
I don't have any links, I can't find any for sale at the moment and I found mine on eBay a while back. Their full name is "Eltex Hilite 2 In 1 Firefly Lantern" but they are often listed as just Hilite Firefly. Even then firefly is often used for other things so it can be hard to search through. Somewhat strangely when I google not much comes up about them. Here's a pic of mine, including the box details, they occasionally turn up in charity shops and house clearances.

IMG_20260916_091342879~2.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Silverclaws2
I don't have any links, I can't find any for sale at the moment and I found mine on eBay a while back. Their full name is "Eltex Hilite 2 In 1 Firefly Lantern" but they are often listed as just Hilite Firefly. Even then firefly is often used for other things so it can be hard to search through. Somewhat strangely when I google not much comes up about them. Here's a pic of mine, including the box details, they occasionally turn up in charity shops and house clearances.

View attachment 105564
Ah great, thanks for all the info, really handy.
I'll keep an eye out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Silverclaws2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE