Berghaus Vulcan IV MMPS Rucksack HELP WITH SIZING

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

evryviadis

Jan 21, 2024
bristol
Hi everyone, I just bought a berghaus vulcan 4 cyclops 2 rucksack in size 2 . I am 5 feet 7 inches tall(170CM). I measured my back and according to the sizing I need size 4. How is this possible? I am a pretty short guy and according to the sizing, size 4 is for people that are 183 cm and over. I have not tried the rucksack on for a long ruck yet but it does not seem small. actually it is exactly the opposite, it feels it is a little bit large. Does anyone know where the hip belt on the bergaus vulcan 4 is supposed to sit? I have a crossfire DG slick 55 L and it feels like the Crossfire sits higher than the vulcan, do you think that it is because of the different styles of back system?

Reactions: Siberian Mongoose

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
Sizing a rucksack can be difficult, as it also depends on how thick one’s upper body is, how the slope of one’s shoulders are, and maybe even the shape of one’s bum where the lumbar pad, or equivalent, sits. I’m about the same height as you, and also with shortish legs (i don‘t have a European build) but shallow over my upper body with straightish shoulders and a female-shaped bum, so would be wary of buying a large, non-adjustable back rucksack as where i am i would have to import it. According to the Berghaus back-length guide i should have a size 3, but this could be wrong as the sizing is assumably based on an ’average’ (whatever that means) male—some folks have queer bodies {looks at self in mirror}, my also having mild scoliosis of which possibly makes me shorter than i should be.

A normal width hipbelt (it is said) should be centred over one’s iliac crests (top of hipbones), which with a normal male body the top of the hipbelt should be just below one’s ribcage, and with a normal female body there should be a gap between the top of the hipbelt and the bottom of one’s ribcage. If sitting too high the hipbelt will stop one’s diaphragmatic breathing by pressing into one’s tummy, at least with my body if sitting around my waist and missing the hipbones…maybe not such a problem with a male body.

Hope that this helps! :)

Last edited:

evryviadis

Jan 21, 2024
bristol
Thanks, I returned the vulcan rucksack, I will stick to the Crossfire DG3 Slick. I did the winter fan dance in pen y fan in 4 hours 20 minutes with 40 lbs weight on and my back felt fine. I try the vulcan on for 5 minutes and my lower back starts to feel weird. So I will stick to what worked and not test my lower back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE