Mesquite's uco trench candle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I recently took delivery of a pair of Mesquite's trench candles for UCO's and thought I'd share a short review and my thoughts on them.
They arrived well packed and promptly, but it took a few days for good quality lamp oil to arrive, and I wanted to use and re-use a few times before posting. When I first read about these I remember a comment to the effect of them being perhaps a little awkward to fit into the holder with spring arrangement some will know from the UCO, and as my hands are not the best any more I had a vague sense that this might be a problem for me.

I needn't have worried. When the oil arrived it took less than five minutes to fill them, place them into the holders, and light them; and without the slightest problem and not a drop of oil anywhere other than where it should be. I have repeated this four or five times this past week (we get a lot of power cuts up here) and it's been clean, simple and quick each time. Both lamps have consistently given ten hours of light, almost to the minute, at each burn.

I think this is a really simple and well designed & built mod. that's as cheap as chips when you think of the price of the UCO candles, an elegant and clean solution. Can't recommend these highly enough.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for the review Mac, much appreciated :)

On the spring front you can remove it and if you use 4 2p coins or similar sized washers it will fit nice and snug

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
I fidn this site gives more and more each day i drop in for a read ,i got a randy newberg dts knife , now i loved it but i found the thumb slot a bit hard to push open so i drilled a small hole and get a thumb stud for knife blades and wow a real game changer , just little tips you find on the net .
I was tempted by the UCO lantern but was worried on cabdle price so i might be buying one now and your conversion to .

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I fidn this site gives more and more each day i drop in for a read ,i got a randy newberg dts knife , now i loved it but i found the thumb slot a bit hard to push open so i drilled a small hole and get a thumb stud for knife blades and wow a real game changer , just little tips you find on the net .
I was tempted by the UCO lantern but was worried on cabdle price so i might be buying one now and your conversion to .
Drop me a PM when you take the plunge :)

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Thank you i will be sure to do that , the boss said i must slow down on spending lol , had a few nice knives lately lol , i did say well hon look i might as well spend it i can't take it with me and you will only use it to light the fire lol .
Thanks again for such a great site and the ideas omg the brain power here we could run the country i recon lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE