BUSHLITE Candle Lantern shout out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Hi,

Thought my recent good customer experience with the supplier of Bushlite candle lanterns in the UK, I thought it was worth sharing and just to generally promote some awareness on how much brighter they appear to be than a UCO lantern. Not knocking the UCO, as I had one for a few years and unfortunately had to give up the the camp candlelight as it simply didn't throw out enough light to be practical in any sense.... Which was dissappointing as really prefer candles to the harsh white Led lamps, someone recommended I try a bushlite as the throw of light was atleast 3 times that of the UCO so went for it and so glad I did!
Not only can you cut standard candles to length versus buying custom UCO ones, it gives plenty of light and even has a top attachment for mozzi tabs, which keeps the midges away also!

Absolutely no affiliation with the supplier, just an honest shout out of a decent product with excellent after sales service. If your sitting on the fence, honestly, the difference in brightness is huge.

Steve

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Looking at the specs the bushlight candles last 5 hours whereas UCO last 9, are they a similar size? The bushlight candles look longer.

It may just be a simple fact the bushlight candles have a thicker wick so burn quicker and throw out more light.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Looking at the specs the bushlight candles last 5 hours whereas UCO last 9, are they a similar size? The bushlight candles look longer.

It may just be a simple fact the bushlight candles have a thicker wick so burn quicker and throw out more light.
Bushlite uses ordinary candles cut down to size, so would be narrower than the UCO ones.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
The bushlite lanterns use readily available standard candles that you can cut down to size, whereas the UCO are a bespoke size (thicker). They may burn for 9 hours, but are nowhere near as bright as the bushlite. I think it's likely to do with the height of the globe and the draw this creates to produce a much taller flame.

Hope this helps.

Steve

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I noted the bushlight had a bigger globe and I would prefer something that uses 'household'* candles but if the wax is similar then you can only get more light by burning more wax, so a trade off between light and longevity.

*Talking about household candles, anyone else notice Prices household candles are not the same as they were? They are now a different, more posh, shape and colour.

Reactions: Toddy

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
Ikea Jubla (Stearin) candles cut down to 105mm from shoulder to base (ignore the pointy bit) last a good 6.5hrs in a Bushlite and three fit in candle box without the cradle. Add a forth in the lantern and that gives over 24hrs light in the pack.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I will always try and support a U.K. company and so, based on what I read above, I bought a Bushlite. I have spent a little while trying it out but have come across a number of problems/flaws.

The spring that drives the candle through its sleeve as it burns seems to be too strong for the job, pushing the candle et al. up and through the little plate that holds the mosquito repellent tablets when closed.

The clips that attach the glass sleeve and hanging hook to the candle-bearing mechanism are simply not strong enough to support the weight of the mechanism and, consequently, the candle part falls off. If it were alight and near anything remote flammable, this could be an issue.

The 'bayonet'-type fixing that secures both metal sleeves to the base does not always engage positively or easily, neither does the 'base plate' that attaches the candle mechanism to the rest of it.

The whole set-up is both large and very heavy when compared with my UCO lantern. Sadly, this means that it will only ever get used when I do not have to carry it too far and do not have to suspend it for reasons stated above..

On the positive side, yes, the light that it throws out is brighter than my UCO lantern though, of course, this comes at a cost of a shorter burn time per candle.

I will always continue to try and support U.K. companies and their products, even if, like the Bushlite, they are made abroad - India, in this instance. I think my grumble comes from a slightly wayward quality inspection system here, which is a pity, given the vaunted simplicity of the product.

I have to admit that I am a little saddened by my experience with it so far and feel that the Bushlite will not be illuminating many of my travels out in to the wilds. For me, the UCO is a safer, simpler and lighter bet.

Still, we live and we learn...

Reactions: Toddy and MrEd

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Ok now i like the idea of these to use in the BBQ the wife and i sit out under , i built a nice place to sit under but as we are close to the canal we do get the mossies and while i do not care the wife has health issues that seem to attached the little monsters as does my neighbour , the candle you show looks great but i see on their page they do mossies tablets to put on the top now to the question .

On the bay i found these type of tablets that are warmed in a plug in thing but are these the same type of idea do you think as i already have some outdoor lanterns that hang up under the area that take a tealight i wonder could i pop these tablets in the lid of the lantern .

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Not knocking the UCO, as I had one for a few years and unfortunately had to give up the the camp candlelight as it simply didn't throw out enough light to be practical in any sense....
Interesting, I have tested my UCO inside my flat in total darkness and it gives enough light so that normal life would be possible. Except that if I had to use candlelantern it would mean I have no electricity. But other than that.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I will always try and support a U.K. company and so, based on what I read above, I bought a Bushlite. I have spent a little while trying it out but have come across a number of problems/flaws.

The spring that drives the candle through its sleeve as it burns seems to be too strong for the job, pushing the candle et al. up and through the little plate that holds the mosquito repellent tablets when closed.

The clips that attach the glass sleeve and hanging hook to the candle-bearing mechanism are simply not strong enough to support the weight of the mechanism and, consequently, the candle part falls off. If it were alight and near anything remote flammable, this could be an issue.

The 'bayonet'-type fixing that secures both metal sleeves to the base does not always engage positively or easily, neither does the 'base plate' that attaches the candle mechanism to the rest of it.

The whole set-up is both large and very heavy when compared with my UCO lantern. Sadly, this means that it will only ever get used when I do not have to carry it too far and do not have to suspend it for reasons stated above..

On the positive side, yes, the light that it throws out is brighter than my UCO lantern though, of course, this comes at a cost of a shorter burn time per candle.

I will always continue to try and support U.K. companies and their products, even if, like the Bushlite, they are made abroad - India, in this instance. I think my grumble comes from a slightly wayward quality inspection system here, which is a pity, given the vaunted simplicity of the product.

I have to admit that I am a little saddened by my experience with it so far and feel that the Bushlite will not be illuminating many of my travels out in to the wilds. For me, the UCO is a safer, simpler and lighter bet.

Still, we live and we learn...
I'm curious to hear about your experience with this lantern. I've had a few issues, so hopefully here's some fixes for you.
I think as you say, it's gotten through quality control.
I've had one for many years with no major issues:
The spring doesn't always engage with the plastic base, which can be a fiddle, but when it's closed and compressed it doesn't cause a problem.
Also getting the tube that holds the candle can be a fiddle to engage. Often it's bunged up with wax, so I pour boiling water over it to clear the wax.
I found the clips that hold the glass can often be too tight or too loose. That's easily adjusted by squeezing the metal inwards or pushing it out slightly.
My candles also tend to get stuck and not push up, but I think I need a new spring, it's looking very, er, non-helix, if you catch my drift. The opposite problem that you have. Again wax build up can be the culprit to the candle not burning well. Hot water or a flame soon fixes that though.
I'm happy with it, despite its flaws.

As much as anything it was my indignation at the price of uco candles that stopped me using them, and that no other candles can be used, they must be uco candles. A bit like Apple products.
Yes I could make my own (there's plenty of videos) but there's other things I'd rather do. However I do think UCO is a better mechanism, and lighter, but I rarely carry the bushlite significant distances when I use it.

The Bushlite is not without issues, but I'm willing to tolerate them, as it throws out a great light. It's completely windproof and it helps me find my way back to bed, to a nice warm glow under my tarp.

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
brizzlebrush...

As noted above I use cut down Jublas... the benefit is no drips or running wax as it is a 100% stearin candle and a very nice clean burn.

On the spring issue, I just replaced mine with a new 18mm wide, 1mm wire 305mm spring which I cut down in half which is longer than the original by 5/6 turns or so, evilbay is your friend... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175455900139?var=474762426220

This gives a weaker spring (stops over forcing of the candle) but overall the spring maintains the compression all the way to the top, whereas the original spring starts out stronger but is just shorter than the height required.

Quality control on mine wasn't perfect (extendable locking holes aren't aligned properly with arms slots, but nothing a little fetting with a triangular file didn't fix) but overall a reasonable package for the money.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Hi,
Good to see some responses on this from other owners and of course some great debating points. My view on a UCO throwing off enough adequate light versus the bushlite still stands based on actual field use. Though UCO may work well for some, personally, I didn't think it threw out enough functional light to do any tasks like preparing dinner or carving.

The points around the clips that hold the globe to the candle body, whenever I use mine I just bend them out a little before use as long term storage means they are in a compressed state for a period of time, so just bending them out slightly prior to use is an easy thing to do. Personally I haven't had any issues with the spring pushing the candle, I always get a full burn. I don't store/transport the lantern with a candle in the tube though to ensure the spring isn't under unnecessary constant tension though. Perhaps this is the difference?

The one modification I made to mine, and do find this a game changer in terms of confident use was to file the candle holder tube notch slightly so when twisted to lock in place, the spring actually pushes the candle tube into a locked state by filing a right angle into the twist lock on the tube, this prevents any risk of the candle tube popping off under the pressure of the spring.

Steve

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
One should not be needed to do your own tweeks if the objekt in queston is of good quality. My UCO functions great without any tampering.

At least I do not accept that when I buy something I have to do this and that and a third to make it function like it is supposed to.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Nice one Stonepark, thanks a lot, I've ordered one.

Steve @wales1 If I understand you correctly, you're basically making the tube locking notch a bit deeper, as in further around the tube?
It's difficult to describe, from both of us!

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
The locking pin slides into the notch which is a parallel slot, by increasing the width of the rear bottom of the slot over an area the width of the locking pin (dremel is your friend), you effectively have a simple detent, similar in principle to the bolt hold open notch on a Sten gun

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
The locking pin slides into the notch which is a parallel slot, by increasing the width of the rear bottom of the slot over an area the width of the locking pin (dremel is your friend), you effectively have a simple detent, similar in principle to the bolt hold open notch on a Sten gun
Got it, that explains it well.
Thanks a lot buddy.
I'll get my submachine lantern loaded for action!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Although I've only ever handled a Sten gun in my boyish dreams back in the 1970s, I do understand how I can tweak my Bushnot-so-lite. I might give it a go this afternoon...

Mind you, the Sten is not, perhaps, the best example to give: fairly ropily manufactured and prone to jamming...

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Stonepark described it better than I could, essentially, when you twist to lock the candle tube. Making an indent will allow the tube to lock into the indent under pressure of the spring.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE