Tribe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Is there anybody who has the ability to put this on the web, so that everyone can access it (rather than passing a video around)

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Again a brilliant show last night!
In next week's program Bruce will visit the Kombai tribe from Papua New Guinea:

Mon 17 Jan, 21:00 - 22:00 60 mins

Kombai

Explorer Bruce Parry is deep in unexplored jungle as he travels to West Papua to meet a tribe rumoured to be cannibals.

The Kombai people are roaming hunter-gatherers who use stone tools and bows and arrows. Bruce finds that a gift of tobacco, and joining the tribe in being naked, makes them more at ease with his presence. Bruce is soon living in a tree house with a family, joining in with their hunts, attempting to go barefoot through the thorny jungle and extracting pulp from a sago palm, the Kombai's staple diet. The biggest surprise is listening to the calm description of how one of his hosts killed and ate 'witches' from another clan, to end the terror of evil spirits

jakunen

Native
Galemys said:
The biggest surprise is listening to the calm description of how one of his hosts killed and ate 'witches' from another clan, to end the terror of evil spirits

It is, or was, part of their normal way of life so why should it be surprising that the guy relates calmly?

I saw a program a few years ago where the presenter was in the same area an spoke to a village chief (who was totally westernised - jeans, check shirt, seiko watch), who related a similar story. When the presented challenged him, somewhat aghast and horrified that he could be so cool and collected about it, the chief just replied "That's just the way we used to do things..."

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Another excellent programme - its restored my faith in the bbc to a degree also.

Being unpretentious and approaching things without the usual european i am better than thou approach I think Bruce has given us all the chance to learn some new and very unique bushcraft skills also.

One of the things really I like is the way the back ground speaking is translated and subtitled so you actually get the chance to hear what the locals are saying makes you realise they arent just playing for the piper who pays the bill but actually enjoy the guys company.

He's got B**ls too - best programme I've seen since the old tracks series shame its not a bushcraft series highlighting skills too!

Now wouldnt that be something eh!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary said:
One of the things really I like is the way the back ground speaking is translated and subtitled so you actually get the chance to hear what the locals are saying makes you realise they arent just playing for the piper who pays the bill but actually enjoy the guys company.
I forgot to mention that Gary. Spot on. It really added to the programme especially given that he had no idea what they were saying at the time :)

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
This is most definately one for the blokes...

on tonight's episode of Tribe at 9.00pm BBC2, our intrepid explorer Bruce Parry tells us how the gentleman of the Tribe he is with, push part of their anatomy back inside themselves.... :shock:

He, however, after going white, sweating perfusely and losing all hearing decided that for him...this just wasn't going to happen

All this tantalising information from Richard and Judy's tea time show! Would you warrent it. Richard and Judy talking about gentleman's bits being retracted....!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
did anyone see him on richard and judy (i got a lot of spare time at the moment) tonight? he said he passed out when they did that to him!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Appears this is going to be the best one yet - several reviews all give it a big :biggthump

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I caught the end of it last week.
However this week i remembered it was on.
It is an amazing program. It makes me smile how these people live, they seem so happy. It is very good how the presenter gets stuck in with them and even carries out the majority of there lifes.

By the way, i'm watching it whilst on my computer. Thats why i posted before it was finished :nana:

Great program!

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
He has a lot of guts. He could have very easily been killed by these people, and some of the things he had to go through (thorn through nose, inverting his private parts) he is a brave man, but if it wasn't for people like him, we would never get to see such an insight into these kinds of people. Cannot wait for the next episode

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Some good little bushcrafty bit there too - more important was the fact that as hunter gatherers these people had alot of time on their hands - not at all like the picture of hunter gatherers the agricultarists would have us imagine, but thats thread for another day!

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I noticed that.
Although they do there regular tasks everyday, they do get quite some time to them selves to enjoy things they like to do. In there case smoking.
agricultarists portray the image of the hunter-gatherers having little time lef over from the things they need to do to survive.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I think last nights programme was the best one yet and the others were brilliant so that says something. What a fantastic series !! Bruce Parry has my utmost respect and when this series is finished I hope we see a lot more from him. I don't beleive I saw one modern piece of equipment last night. (except what the filming crew had). Everything they used was from the Jungle. I watched the whole programme completely enthralled. Brilliant !! :super:

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
This was the first episode I've managed to catch. What a treat! I found it a very emotional journey just watching how he interacted with these people.

I agree though, Bruce Parry is a very brave man... :shock:

I'll be sure to watch it from now on. :biggthump

Hellz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE