Tribe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Continues to be excellent and very insightful.

I kind of missed the sub titles of the tribe which we had from last week but I guess their language is not easy although from the facial expressions I reckon it would have been fairly hilarious to 'listen' :) It reinforces for me the importance of humour and willingness to partake in the lives of those you meet and the respect it shows for them and for you.

Interesting to see the use of poisons to catch the fish and demonstrated nicely ( not legal in Europe of course). I posted some info on this before in this thread:

Primitive Ways -Fish Poison

Some good links there.

I was really impressed with the use of tools without anything metal. Mussel shells used as a spoon and also a broken one used for cutting (after being caught from the stream and eaten I assume). Also the use of sharp bamboo used for butchering and the stone axe was impressive, until he broke it :)

Wonder what they used to hunt before pigs were introduced onto the islands and I guess the dogs they used for hunting were non-native also. Just shows how people adapt.

One of the strongest points to come across, perhaps in a different way form last week was the reasons and willingness these essentially 'stone age' (in the sense of technology which also means highly skilled!) people looked to entering the modern world when they talked about getting lighting like the airstrip village.

It was poignant the way they talked about a history of being 'afraid of the dark' ( that real primeval feel born for true danger still from man and beast) and also a desire to move away from the historic violence typified ultimately by the cannibalism, to living in peace in a modern world. Parry mentioned this again like last week when it was the AK47 bringing their traditional lives swiftly into the modern era. The thought of such a beautiful part of the globe being ripped up and exploited as seems inevitable is heart breaking. Lets hope they have some say in their future. It is hard to believe they can survive the onslaught of convenience, exploitation and the seduction of the meaningless paraphernalia we so depend on now.

Again it was the simple act of putting his clothes on and heaving on a loaded up rucksack and his acknowledgement of that when leaving, which made this all the more clear.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.....the best one so far....really good show and as Gary says heaps of bushcraft tips mixed in. Fantastic to see no metal used whatsoever, I didn't even know there were tribes out there still that didn't at least have a cooking pot or steel knife...Wow.

Fair play to Parry for jumping in with both feet again (bare foot for three days!)....nose pierced and even had a go at the inverter thing...Ouch!!!

Just one point.... as my wife and I watched the show it seemed more and more apparent to us that it wasn't just tabacco they were smoking over there, I make no judgement on tribes uses of various drugs (none of my business) but clearly strongly condem them in the UK as they are illegal.....but heck, that was the funniest thing I've ever watched..... Maybe you guys don't think he was stoned but in my own mind I am 100% sure they all were!!!! Fantastic to see him get "so" involved in their way of life....

Nice one Mr Parry....roll on next week...should be another blinder! :super:

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Has anyone got some information on the firestarting method that I saw the Kombai using last night? They used a piece of rattan with a piece of wood and created friction by pulling on the ends of the rattan alternately. This method is mentioned sideways in Ray Mears' "bushcraft" book & I believe it is called the "fire thong" or "flexible fire saw" but if you "google" the first, most of the hits are about flimsy nightwear with a flamy print... I can't seem to find much about it (for instance in what countries it is/was used or even a proper description/picture of it).

BTW, Yesterdays episode was -again- a brilliant one. Next week's show also sounds like fun:

Mon 24 Jan, 21:00 - 22:00 60 mins
Babongo
To become men, the Babongo people of Gabon take a powerful hallucinogen that sends them on a life-threatening, three day trip.
Explorer Bruce Parry undergoes the initiation and finds it has some terrifying side effects.

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
Fabulous show. Did anyone notice how they used their belt on what looked like a piece of bamboo to start fire? There was only a short clip in the background. Looked efficient, but I'm puzzled how they caught the ember. Any ideas? :?:

Regarding the inversion :yikes: . Some tribes in the Filipines would wrap their testicles in tight bamboo with the purpose of increasing their pain threshhold. I did hear a story that is why the Colt .45 was invented, 9mm wouldn't stop them. Could the inversion be a similar exercise? MAkes Parry's attempt all the more impressive!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
What tickled me was the BBC Wales announcer at the start of the prog warning that some viewers may be upset at the way some of the animals are treated, I guess they meant the bleeding etc. What got me squirming was the whole range of things he accepted being done to himself...

Great prog and some great folk

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Furface said:
Could the inversion be a similar exercise? MAkes Parry's attempt all the more impressive!

I think the inversion was for protection. If you are runing essentially naked through the jungle with all those thorns around the last thing you want is your most delicate dangily bits, well, dangling. They inverted their penis and wrapped the protrouding bit in leaves adding more protection. IIRC some sportsmen used to invert their testicals so they didn't get smacked, not done so much nowadays I suppose.

Very little about the women of the family this week unlike last week where he explained a lot about the female members of the tribe.

Can't wait for next week.

Bill

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
Protection from thorns when running naked through the jungle does seem a more practical explanation. Think I'll just stick to trousers.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
absolutely superb!!!! well done to everyone who was involved in the making of this series, little things like subtitling all the background chatter and not interfering with reality (like canned bird song, encouraged behavior etc) to make things 'more exciting' under the absurd notion that the viewing public wont notice.

Bruce Parry is quickly becoming one of my favorite presenters down to earth, not afraid to show his flaws, and prepared to go more than the extra mile.

I hope he continues to make many more programs and keeps a level head.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Stuart said:
absolutely superb!!!! well done to everyone who was involved in the making of this series, little things like subtitling all the background chatter and not interfering with reality (like canned bird song, encouraged behavior etc) to make things 'more exciting' under the absurd notion that the viewing public wont notice.

Bruce Parry is quickly becoming one of my favorite presenters down to earth, not afraid to show his flaws, and prepared to go more than the extra mile.

I hope he continues to make many more programs and keeps a level head.

Here here.....couldn't have put it better myself :super:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Justin Time said:
What tickled me was the BBC Wales announcer at the start of the prog warning that some viewers may be upset at the way some of the animals are treated, I guess they meant the bleeding etc. What got me squirming was the whole range of things he accepted being done to himself...

Great prog and some great folk
I think that was about when they shot the pig and it ran off with two arrows in it, still alive. I'm not bothered but I can see how the more RSPCA centred watchers might get all shocked by it.
And what can I say that hasn't already been said, absolutely fantastic in every way, best thing I've seen on TV, full stop.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
jakunen said:
Can someone ring me just before the next one starts? I've missed every one so far:cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Jak especially for you....... TRIBE IS ON TONIGHT AT 9PM ON BBC 2 DO NOT FORGET....!!! OR AT THE NEXT GATHERING YOU WILL BE NOMINATED TO INVERT YOUR TALLYWHACKER LIKE IN THE LAST EPISODE !! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Wow...complete respect to Mr Parry.

There were so many amazing images in last nights programme, the child sat in the bucket full of water when it was raining...and the tiny toddler hacking at a piece of wood with a mini machete....two inches from his fathers leg... :yikes: I can just see my mother's expression if my dad had given me one of those when I was three!

Genius television.

Hope they give the guy another series...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
another superb program :biggthump

some of the images brought back some nice memories of indigenous groups I have had the pleasure of spending time with, like very young children using knives and parangs and men relaxing and smoking whilst the white visitor worried about which way the tree was going to fall. :roll:

did you see the leaf flights on the arrows?

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
FANTASTIC! Great program, it tears my heart apart to see the damage done by logging though Ive seen this first hand in Borneo and it sickens me to see it here too, i remember stopping to look at a beautiful jungle view in front of a large hill sadly when we got to the other side of the hill a mining company had removed the other side to crush up for building materials :cry: ...........but never the less its beautiful to see there are some peoples out there who will eccept and not prejudge strangers and that work,rest and play as a community, community spirit is something our society is lacking i fear.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
yep gotta salute the guy he was very scared in last nights prog but he still did it.

I think that bolo (sp? drug thing) should be given to all convicted prisoners in this country - if it makes them suffer the crime they commit I bet it would half re-offending!

Anyway my compassionate liberal self aside - I didnt find it was the best one but still very good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE